• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

Now batting cleanup...James Harren.

The line in question, as presented by Kyle K.: "THOR #701 may very well represent peak Harren (to date). James is already hugely influential amongst his peers, and this issue only further establishes his status as a generational talent. THOR #701 will be studied for years to come."

This one's the easiest of them all, because it's not just an opinion. It's true. It's happening. James' art has been a revelation for many, many other artists. He has influenced and inspired an entire school of young artists, including our own Daniel Warren Johnson and Juan Gedeon. DWJ has cited James as a major artistic influence and also credits James for inspiring him to quit his job and focus on comics full-time (right after reading an early James Mignolaverse issue). He has outright imitators/clones. And I get asked more for hi-rez scans of James' art to study by young AND veteran artists than any other artist I rep.

Aside from James, here's something I said about a meaningful percentage of my customer base:

On 1/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, Nexus said:

I do believe that fans are buying simply because they like the art/artist/title. This is a different crowd than who we interact with on the boards. They don't follow the hobby at large. Many don't bother with CAF. Most have no clue about the overall market...nor do they care. They care more about following artists on social media. Their desire to own art derives from that, not for what something similar is worth or may be worth. And if they can afford it, they buy it.

The THOR #701 issue I wrote about sold complete. The buyer would fit my description above nearly to a T. He doesn't follow the CGC boards. He doesn't follow the hobby at large. He doesn't interact with other collectors. He doesn't care about CAF. He does have SOME clue about the overall market, because he's been buying the last few years...but I don't think he really cares. He follows artists on social media, and that's his first exposure in many cases. He's a young techie and he can afford it.

He's bought a lot over the last few years, but not entirely consistently, most often in spurts. He doesn't just buy from me, he also buys from other reps/artists. I'm guessing it's connected to whenever he has time to read comics. But I'd hardly call him "vulnerable" or "susceptible" to anyone's hype, including mine. He's not buying comic art for speculation because, most of all, HE DOESN'T NEED THE MONEY.

For that matter, I'd say the buyer of the EXTREMITY #6 issue I just showed is very similar, as well. Really, most buyers of complete issues. I also don't think anyone's buying them for "gravitas". Most aren't on CAF and don't care about other collectors and what they think. And even if they were, none of this art is going to get anyone a ton of "Baller!" or "attaboy!" comments.

And in the case of THOR #701, there isn't even a cover. (Marvel, in their infinite wisdom, gave the cover assignment to THOR #701 and VENOM #150 to other artists. Meanwhile, they had James and Tradd, two of the most dynamic young talents around, covers for issues they didn't draw. just don't get it.) It doesn't even feature the "real" Thor. But it's an amazing issue and incredible as it may seem, there are fans who love it just for the art. Enjoy this complete James Harren issue:

THOR 701 - 1.jpeg

THOR 701 - 2.jpeg

THOR 701 - 3.jpeg

THOR 701 - 4.jpeg

THOR 701 - 5.jpeg

THOR 701 - 6.jpeg

THOR 701 - 7.jpeg

THOR 701 - 8.jpeg

THOR 701 - 9.jpeg

THOR 701 - 10.jpeg

THOR 701 - 11.jpeg

THOR 701 - 12.jpeg

THOR 701 - 13.jpeg

THOR 701 - 14.jpeg

THOR 701 - 15.jpeg

THOR 701 - 16.jpeg

THOR 701 - 17.jpeg

THOR 701 - 18.jpeg

THOR 701 - 19.jpeg

THOR 701 - 20.jpeg

Those are great samples, Felix. I can see why buyers would want to get a whole issue from some of these artists. As a collector (and visitor to your site), I like that you've curated a collection of artists the same way some fans curate an OA collection.

I’m more than a bit off-center when it comes to approaching the hobby, and have never quite thought of myself as a stand in for the average collector.

But fwiw, I couldn’t give a fig for anyone’s opinion on what artist might be the next “other artist”, or that “this title” is going to be for this artist, what “this other title” was for another guy.

I tend to latch onto a work because I like it, and that is where my interest tends to start and stop. So if Felix uses a comparison, in my Neanderthal brain, I think to myself, he is really excited by that artist and/or that project and I make a mental note to check it out for myself.

IMO, Felix has shown he has a better than average taste-meter. And all one has to do is look at the accolades heaped on his guys in the form of reviews, awards, marketplace interest and so on to see that. He has also reinvented the role of art rep as far as I’m concerned. He has crafted avenues of promotion, and just general hobby fun among and for his guys, and with their fan bases as well. He is inclusive, generous, and all around seems like he just likes hanging out with them. And he’d know better than me, but from what I’ve seen he’s helped elevate their profiles and gain exposures for them that go beyond just selling their artwork.

Is there excited hyperbole to in some of the newsletter pitches? Possibly. Time will tell. If anything I just see a guy that gets super excited to share work with the audiences he’s helped garner for his guys, and trying to hip people to work that has him jazzed.

I used to have a local comic shop guy who did that for me. He’d tell me how I needed to check out this book or that book, and he’d compare it to some other book (or movie). Some of his pitches were a little hype heavy for me, but I could tell it was a genuine enthusiasm for the product. It wasn’t an attempt to squeeze me for a few dollar sale. That would have been so short sighted of him.

I appreciated it then and I appreciate it now,with Felix. He’s turned me onto some cool books, and even though I haven’t bought any pages from them, it’s because of him I’ve read all Tradd’s Luther Strode books, and Bertram’s House of Pennance, among others.

In the end, I want to see Harren be the best Harren he can be. Tradd should push his mind bending work as far as he can, etc and so on. I’ve no interest in DWJ being he next Miller, Kirby Moebius or whatever.  Those guys were those guys. DWJ will kick on his own, and people will notice. If the work is good, the rest will come. I 

can’t wait to see what Felix’s guys do in the future. There may be some great nuggets in there. But if I ever buy something that becomes genre defining or industry evolving from him, it’d be because I loved that art, story, artist... and the other mess can come later ... or not.

Anybody that goes actively looking for it is on a fools errand as far as I’m concerned.

-e.

Edited by ESeffinga

25 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

If only this shiny new art had worn balloons....:baiting:

Yup that I think would hold back many of the new books from reaching the audience tha DKR and Watchmen have in the comicart community.

23 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Yup that I think would hold back many of the new books from reaching the audience tha DKR and Watchmen have in the comicart community.

Having looked at Felix's samples, I think its one of the reasons full issues of new books are finding a home.   With the words gone, the plot is easier to guess at or follow when you can see every page in the book.     You get more of a sense of narrative.

2 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Now I want a full issue of something. And Tradd Moore art. lol  

Just what we all need, more competition! 

But seriously, it is somewhat rare to see Tradd's pages posted in the secondary market. I think there are 2 pages available on eBay as we speak and maybe one on CAF as a 'make an offer'. I love that Felix makes everything available to all buyers at the same time (well... most of the time, I can think of one instance when I inquired and a cover was claimed) even though it has pretty consistently worked against me due to my schedule at work and due to the drops happening mid-day, so as soon as Tradd puts some new work out there it's open season and everyone has a shot.

I’m all for Felix pushing his guys’ art, he is a heck of an art rep and an asset to our hobby. I don’t mind having my eyes opened to his talent pool. If not for Felix selling his guys’ personalities and abilities on his podcasts, I wouldn’t have a dozen or so cool pages and more importantly his artists would not have my money! 

Felix is killing it with charity events, giveaways, special sales and compelling podcasts that expose his artists’ artwork and their personalities to a hungry group of collectors -many whom are now priced out of the old school art market (Byrne, Buscema, Kirby, Miller etc..)

Keep up the good work Felix!

Edited by gumbydarnit

21 hours ago, Hekla said:

Those are great samples, Felix. I can see why buyers would want to get a whole issue from some of these artists. As a collector (and visitor to your site), I like that you've curated a collection of artists the same way some fans curate an OA collection.

I am very picky when it comes to artists I rep. I've mentioned this before, but my primary criteria is that I have to like the art myself. I have to want to own it in my collection. I can't work up enthusiasm over art I don't personally enjoy. It's pretty simple!

I have never had any interest in having the biggest roster. Managing 100 artists would certainly be more lucrative for me, but it also sounds like anything but fun. I gotta keep this fun. I get a chuckle if anyone thinks my "whole purpose is financial".

Thanks, Hekla!

21 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I’m more than a bit off-center when it comes to approaching the hobby, and have never quite thought of myself as a stand in for the average collector.

But fwiw, I couldn’t give a fig for anyone’s opinion on what artist might be the next “other artist”, or that “this title” is going to be for this artist, what “this other title” was for another guy.

I tend to latch onto a work because I like it, and that is where my interest tends to start and stop. So if Felix uses a comparison, in my Neanderthal brain, I think to myself, he is really excited by that artist and/or that project and I make a mental note to check it out for myself.

IMO, Felix has shown he has a better than average taste-meter. And all one has to do is look at the accolades heaped on his guys in the form of reviews, awards, marketplace interest and so on to see that. He has also reinvented the role of art rep as far as I’m concerned. He has crafted avenues of promotion, and just general hobby fun among and for his guys, and with their fan bases as well. He is inclusive, generous, and all around seems like he just likes hanging out with them. And he’d know better than me, but from what I’ve seen he’s helped elevate their profiles and gain exposures for them that go beyond just selling their artwork.

Is there excited hyperbole to in some of the newsletter pitches? Possibly. Time will tell. If anything I just see a guy that gets super excited to share work with the audiences he’s helped garner for his guys, and trying to hip people to work that has him jazzed.

I used to have a local comic shop guy who did that for me. He’d tell me how I needed to check out this book or that book, and he’d compare it to some other book (or movie). Some of his pitches were a little hype heavy for me, but I could tell it was a genuine enthusiasm for the product. It wasn’t an attempt to squeeze me for a few dollar sale. That would have been so short sighted of him.

I appreciated it then and I appreciate it now,with Felix. He’s turned me onto some cool books, and even though I haven’t bought any pages from them, it’s because of him I’ve read all Tradd’s Luther Strode books, and Bertram’s House of Pennance, among others.

In the end, I want to see Harren be the best Harren he can be. Tradd should push his mind bending work as far as he can, etc and so on. I’ve no interest in DWJ being he next Miller, Kirby Moebius or whatever.  Those guys were those guys. DWJ will kick on his own, and people will notice. If the work is good, the rest will come. I 

can’t wait to see what Felix’s guys do in the future. There may be some great nuggets in there. But if I ever buy something that becomes genre defining or industry evolving from him, it’d be because I loved that art, story, artist... and the other mess can come later ... or not.

Anybody that goes actively looking for it is on a fools errand as far as I’m concerned.

-e.

Thanks Eric!

There are certain collectors whose style of collecting, and approach to the hobby, I've found inspiring and have tried to emulate. Each of these collectors does their own thing, but the common thread is a genuine appreciation of the ART. So let me return the compliment and say that would include you. Cheers!

21 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

If only this shiny new art had word balloons....:baiting:

lol

I'm with you...in almost every instance, comic art is better with word balloons. But in these cases...the art is so damn visually impressive and dynamic...that it doesn't REALLY need them.

Unlike say, your average BA page. :baiting:

Edited by Nexus
typo!

20 hours ago, Bronty said:

Having looked at Felix's samples, I think its one of the reasons full issues of new books are finding a home.   With the words gone, the plot is easier to guess at or follow when you can see every page in the book.     You get more of a sense of narrative.

Yes, I'm sure there is some of that going on. I've pitched owning a complete issue as having your own private Artist's Edition. I love flipping through an AE, page by page. This would be an even more heightened version of that.

21 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Now I want a full issue of something. And Tradd Moore art. lol  

19 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Just what we all need, more competition! 

But seriously, it is somewhat rare to see Tradd's pages posted in the secondary market. I think there are 2 pages available on eBay as we speak and maybe one on CAF as a 'make an offer'. I love that Felix makes everything available to all buyers at the same time (well... most of the time, I can think of one instance when I inquired and a cover was claimed) even though it has pretty consistently worked against me due to my schedule at work and due to the drops happening mid-day, so as soon as Tradd puts some new work out there it's open season and everyone has a shot.

Look forward to you guys seeing the art from his new project! With any luck, it will come out this year. Check out Tradd's Instagram for a taste!