• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Yes, I'm sure there is some of that going on. I've pitched owning a complete issue as having your own private Artist's Edition. I love flipping through an AE, page by page. This would be an even more heightened version of that.

I finally finished the latest podcast this morning after starting it a week ago. Toward the end of the second segment Felix mentions how clean Tradd's art is and then suggests that an excellent AE would be Tradd's last two Strode cycles. I'm scratching my head at that. How would AE improve upon the published work if the OA isn't something of a mess like vintage art is (yellowing, stains, whiteout, paste-ups that are loose, missing, etc). Would the only difference from published be stripping out the color and text for AE? I have the Complete but haven't cracked the shrinkwrap yet, is it b/w or color? If b/w...then that's even less of a reason to do it as an AE, right?

17 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

I’m all for Felix pushing his guys’ art, he is a heck of an art rep and an asset to our hobby. I don’t mind having my eyes opened to his talent pool. If not for Felix selling his guys’ personalities and abilities on his podcasts, I wouldn’t have a dozen or so cool pages and more importantly his artists would not have my money! 

Felix is killing it with charity events, giveaways, special sales and compelling podcasts that expose his artists’ artwork and their personalities to a hungry group of collectors -many whom are now priced out of the old school art market (Byrne, Buscema, Kirby, Miller etc..)

Keep up the good work Felix!

Thanks Gumby!

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

I finally finished the latest podcast this morning after starting it a week ago. Toward the end of the second segment Felix mentions how clean Tradd's art is and then suggests that an excellent AE would be Tradd's last two Strode cycles. I'm scratching my head at that. How would AE improve upon the published work if the OA isn't something of a mess like vintage art is (yellowing, stains, whiteout, paste-ups that are loose, missing, etc). Would the only difference from published be stripping out the color and text for AE? I have the Complete but haven't cracked the shrinkwrap yet, is it b/w or color? If b/w...then that's even less of a reason to do it as an AE, right?

Full-size, baby! That's the difference! I want to see it BIG!

The coloring for LUTHER STRODE is excellent. It fits Tradd's art well. BUT...as with Brian Bolland, ANY coloring will obscure the fine line work to some degree. Especially when the art has already been shrunk for publication. And like Bolland, IMO, Tradd's art is best appreciated in its original state. If for no other reason than how, unlike most other OA, it ISN'T a mess. This art was created by a human hand. How??

Here's a video of artists and fans checking out Tradd's art in person (for anyone who hasn't see this already):

Edited by Nexus

Just now, Nexus said:

The coloring for LUTHER STRODE is excellent. It fits Tradd's art well. BUT...as with Brian Bolland, ANY coloring will obscure the fine line work to some degree. Especially when the art has already been shrunk for publication. And like Bolland, IMO, Tradd's art is best appreciated in its original state.

Okay BIG. I get that, but I'd have to agree with whoever hasn't greenlit that project yet...there's a lot of other stuff to hit first. That's no knock on Tradd's art (quickly becoming a fan here) just that, presentation size aside, an AE wouldn't add much to the published version that's already available to anybody that wants it.

On the subject of size...we all know Paul Pope works much larger than the industry standard 11x17. Some of your more graphically oriented artists Felix...maybe they could take a page from Paul's book and move up a half size or more. (Maybe you could suggest it?) I'm all for BIG and have never been impressed with 11x17, but you take what you can get. But up on a wall, framing those favorites...they are not all that. Even worse is the smaller WD, Mexican pulp, Italian pulp, and manga interior originals...that stuff is tiny. Size difference in the wrong direction, all of those. Let's go BIG :)

Okay BIG. I get that, but I'd have to agree with whoever hasn't greenlit that project yet...there's a lot of other stuff to hit first. That's no knock on Tradd's art (quickly becoming a fan here) just that, presentation size aside, an AE wouldn't add much to the published version that's already available to anybody that wants it.

Oh yeah, that's just fantasy talk. No publisher is doing an AE of an indy book, no matter how much the art deserves it. But it would be cool!

On the subject of size...we all know Paul Pope works much larger than the industry standard 11x17. Some of your more graphically oriented artists Felix...maybe they could take a page from Paul's book and move up a half size or more. (Maybe you could suggest it?) I'm all for BIG and have never been impressed with 11x17, but you take what you can get. But up on a wall, framing those favorites...they are not all that. Even worse is the smaller WD, Mexican pulp, Italian pulp, and manga interior originals...that stuff is tiny. Size difference in the wrong direction, all of those. Let's go BIG :)

Shoot man...I'm just glad these guys haven't gone digital! Just work on paper, I don't even care what size!

But...some guys ARE working bigger. Just not necessarily for their comics work. Ian Bertram is doing giant 40X60 pieces for commissions. Here's a sample:

IanBertramTELLHERWHENYOUBURNEDHERPASTb.jpg

Re: Bertram 40x60

absolute talent to work in that size with such detail. 

Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine not every artist can paint murals, i.e. large scale. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

11 minutes ago, Nexus said:

IanBertramTELLHERWHENYOUBURNEDHERPASTb.jpg

Had my eye on that for nearly a year on Ian's personal site before you posted and sold it (nearly immediately, no surprise there!) Sensing it was a $5k piece at the outset, there was no priority to making it happen and there still isn't but that's the stuff that's got presence. I hear you re: digital migration but I don't excuse the physical guys from working larger on that basis! That's one thing that's nice about a lot of European art it tends to be bigger, even a lot of older UK comic art is bigger. I'm sure you've got some and know what I'm talking about.

54 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The coloring for LUTHER STRODE is excellent. It fits Tradd's art well. BUT...as with Brian Bolland, ANY coloring will obscure the fine line work to some degree. Especially when the art has already been shrunk for publication. And like Bolland, IMO, Tradd's art is best appreciated in its original state. If for no other reason than how, unlike most other OA, it ISN'T a mess. This art was created by a human hand. How??

Here's a video of artists and fans checking out Tradd's art in person (for anyone who hasn't see this already):

Another artist whose intricate line work must be appreciated in person is James Stokoe.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1402822

Not the best photo, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

I also think seeing DWJ and Harren's art in person lets you see all the pencil work too, which gets filtered out for publication.  Harren especially - you can see the colour popping on the pages of the raw scans that isn't there in the same way for the finished, and polished, comic.  So yeah, you don't get the aged feel that the Born Again and other AE books give you, but you see the mechanics of the production process and that offers something very different in that regard.  For someone like Tradd, who does such perfect lines, I'm not sure it would be the same as the other guys, there you are just getting the size.

18 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I also think seeing DWJ and Harren's art in person lets you see all the pencil work too, which gets filtered out for publication.  Harren especially - you can see the colour popping on the pages of the raw scans that isn't there in the same way for the finished, and polished, comic.  So yeah, you don't get the aged feel that the Born Again and other AE books give you, but you see the mechanics of the production process and that offers something very different in that regard.  For someone like Tradd, who does such perfect lines, I'm not sure it would be the same as the other guys, there you are just getting the size.

Very true about James' art. You're right...his art may be best suited for the AE treatment.

And actually, Tradd went through his own James phase. He tried incorporating some of James' "messiness" and chunkiness into his own style during the second LUTHER STRODE art. I thought it was fantastic, especially on the original art. But as is his wont, Tradd tweaked his style yet again for the third arc. And now he's onto yet another variation.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would soon be posting the craziest commission request I've ever handled: A 26 page custom STAR WARS fan comic. All the scans have been uploaded to the site.

The commissioner had this done as a gift for his very young son, with the hopes that this would be something they'd enjoy reading together as he got older. Needless to say...he is not an art speculator.

My write-up and link to the art:

Since the start of Felix Comic Art, we've been very proud to expand commission offerings for collectors beyond the standard single character default. As a group, we've pioneered and popularized such options as cover recreations/reinterpretaions, panel page recreations/reinterpretaions, Artist's Choice, tandem/collaborative pieces. But the most epic commission request we've ever handled has been a 26-page (plus cover!) custom STAR WARS fan comic drawn by Geoff Shaw! Titled REFUGE, this was done for a lifelong fan as a gift to his young son. For the first time ever, please enjoy this ode to STAR WARS, fatherhood, and learning to become a Jedi!:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=579&Mag=STAR+WARS%3A+REFUGE

13 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would soon be posting the craziest commission request I've ever handled: A 26 page custom STAR WARS fan comic. All the scans have been uploaded to the site.

The commissioner had this done as a gift for his very young son, with the hopes that this would be something they'd enjoy reading together as he got older. Needless to say...he is not an art speculator.

My write-up and link to the art:

Since the start of Felix Comic Art, we've been very proud to expand commission offerings for collectors beyond the standard single character default. As a group, we've pioneered and popularized such options as cover recreations/reinterpretaions, panel page recreations/reinterpretaions, Artist's Choice, tandem/collaborative pieces. But the most epic commission request we've ever handled has been a 26-page (plus cover!) custom STAR WARS fan comic drawn by Geoff Shaw! Titled REFUGE, this was done for a lifelong fan as a gift to his young son. For the first time ever, please enjoy this ode to STAR WARS, fatherhood, and learning to become a Jedi!:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=579&Mag=STAR+WARS%3A+REFUGE

So did the father write the story? Are there word to it or is it a "silent" story? 

1 minute ago, Brian Peck said:

But is the dialogue on the original art?

Nope, as you can see from the scans. If the commissioner wants the dialogue on the art, he can have overlays made (I've explained that process to him). But he's not concerned about it. He's very happy with the art, as is. He is considering framing each page to hang throughout his house (again, as is).

For his completed story, the art will be colored, letter, and collected into his own custom comic book. For any visitor to his home who views the art and also wants to read the story, I imagine he'll have the comic readily available.

Multiple page commissions are rare. Wayne Osborne commissioned John Byrne to draw FX which Wayne wrote and was published. Wayne did a second FX series with artist Uko Smith. This is a bit different since it was done for publication. I commissioned Enrique Romeo to draw a five strip story sequence featuring Axa (his creation originally published in the British newspaper the sun).

1 minute ago, Brian Peck said:

Multiple page commissions are rare. Wayne Osborne commissioned John Byrne to draw FX which Wayne wrote and was published. Wayne did a second FX series with artist Uko Smith. This is a bit different since it was done for publication. I commissioned Enrique Romeo to draw a five strip story sequence featuring Axa (his creation originally published in the British newspaper the sun).

I've got another multi-page commission in the works from another artist. While it's not as nuts as a complete issue, it's spectacular in its own right. I will post scans when it's done!

The Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco had their grand opening last night, and featured a signing by select artists from the "Tribute to Mike Mignola's Hellboy" show/catalog. The show is great and the catalog is SPECTACULAR, measuring a whopping 12"X18". Order it from the museum, all proceeds benefit the museum.

The Hellboy exhibit occupies its own room. All art was donated to the museum, and auctioned to benefit the museum. Artists include Ian Bertram, Garry Brown, Cliff Chiang, Nick Dragotta (who attended the signing), James Harren, Stephen Green, Daniel Warren Johnson, Chris Mooneyham, Riley Rossmo, and Geoff Shaw.

The main exhibit is dedicated to Raina Telgemeier's works. Which has proven to be a huge hit. Not a surprise. It's geared to families, and for those who don't know, Raina is an absolute rock star for the younger set (aka the comic art collectors of the future).

Check out the museum if you're in SF. A must-see for any comic art fans. For now, enjoy these pics from last night!

image.thumb.png.61ded73418da20271e0a682a83e9af92.pngimage.thumb.png.524a6e9843af4ba776151a0fe6e460af.pngimage.thumb.png.407e80c309009f5e0b22cfeecb56d9ab.pngimage.thumb.png.c7e6718a19fbfcabf6a7c2e1c1374c01.pngimage.thumb.png.027048368b9115b19f91a31da739921b.pngimage.thumb.png.70323833d524b3f6318fabf24bf4a643.pngimage.thumb.png.ad25ac90cc9582a4ae71b99a2458a7b6.pngimage.thumb.png.b9b0df28ff1f2111e870361c785e9389.pngimage.thumb.png.a99186d77bc6ed914670383bfa42dfbd.pngimage.thumb.png.fb23a567a43ee63e14f31329c1824b4e.pngimage.thumb.png.6ac8bb47ec292e998aa25a2a4272bf76.pngimage.thumb.png.104419e79a9a7c12f0d41389c39594dd.pngimage.thumb.png.55db6e27bebb6f8df12d66c819ff93c0.png

image.png

image.png

I really love CAM and have been supporting them and going to many of the exhibits. I am thrilled they have a new location, but.......

Its tougher to get to it going thru the city. I wanted to go to the opening but with having to deal with driving thru SF, especially this weekend with the women's march (great to see such huge turnouts across the country) it would make getting to CAM even harder. Plus the opening exhibit was a real let down. Though I have been a fan of Mignola's art, never really got into his Hellboy and CAM didn't even have his art on display. It was a tribute to him. This was a real disappointment, I know Andrew and the staff at CAM have been working very hard with this move but I was expecting something bigger as a grand opening exhibit.

I am looking forward to future exhibits at the CAM and do plan on going. Glad to see Felix has a good time at then opening.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

The Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco had their grand opening last night, and featured a signing by select artists from the "Tribute to Mike Mignola's Hellboy" show/catalog. The show is great and the catalog is SPECTACULAR, measuring a whopping 12"X18". Order it from the museum, all proceeds benefit the museum.

The Hellboy exhibit occupies its own room. All art was donated to the museum, and auctioned to benefit the museum. Artists include Ian Bertram, Garry Brown, Cliff Chiang, Nick Dragotta (who attended the signing), James Harren, Stephen Green, Daniel Warren Johnson, Chris Mooneyham, Riley Rossmo, and Geoff Shaw.

The main exhibit is dedicated to Raina Telgemeier's works. Which has proven to be a huge hit. Not a surprise. It's geared to families, and for those who don't know, Raina is an absolute rock star for the younger set (aka the comic art collectors of the future).

Check out the museum if you're in SF. A must-see for any comic art fans. For now, enjoy these pics from last night!

image.thumb.png.61ded73418da20271e0a682a83e9af92.pngimage.thumb.png.524a6e9843af4ba776151a0fe6e460af.png

This is great Felix, thanks for posting the pics!

I didn’t even realize they had a new location until someone mentioned it to me at our Berkeley show yesterday.

And Raina is the main exhibit - that’s awesome! I can bring my 8 year old daughter, who has everything Raina has ever published (“Dad, they’re not comics, they’re graphic novels” lol).

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:

1. Can you tell us ‘who’s who’ in the first photo?

2. Is that a print or the catalog in the second pic?

Thanks!