• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I really love CAM and have been supporting them and going to many of the exhibits. I am thrilled they have a new location, but.......

Its tougher to get to it going thru the city. I wanted to go to the opening but with having to deal with driving thru SF, especially this weekend with the women's march (great to see such huge turnouts across the country) it would make getting to CAM even harder. Plus the opening exhibit was a real let down. Though I have been a fan of Mignola's art, never really got into his Hellboy and CAM didn't even have his art on display. It was a tribute to him. This was a real disappointment, I know Andrew and the staff at CAM have been working very hard with this move but I was expecting something bigger as a grand opening exhibit.

I am looking forward to future exhibits at the CAM and do plan on going. Glad to see Felix has a good time at then opening.

Yes, the city is pure hell to drive through these days. 

Luckily I can take the Vallejo Ferry, which stops at Pier 39, and has wi-fi and beer lol

(Normally I avoid that area like the plague, but would brave it for this).

Doesn’t help you South Bay guys though :frown:

30 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Yes, the city is pure hell to drive through these days. 

Luckily I can take the Vallejo Ferry, which stops at Pier 39, and has wi-fi and beer lol

(Normally I avoid that area like the plague, but would brave it for this).

Doesn’t help you South Bay guys though :frown:

Too bad there isnt a ferry from the south bay

1 hour ago, wormboy said:

This is great Felix, thanks for posting the pics!

I didn’t even realize they had a new location until someone mentioned it to me at our Berkeley show yesterday.

And Raina is the main exhibit - that’s awesome! I can bring my 8 year old daughter, who has everything Raina has ever published (“Dad, they’re not comics, they’re graphic novels” lol).

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:

1. Can you tell us ‘who’s who’ in the first photo?

2. Is that a print or the catalog in the second pic?

Thanks!

The guy in the orange pullover is Nick Dragotta and the guy in the far right with the rolled up sleeves is Mark Badger. They are the only ones I recognize.

I think the fellow in the hat is Steve Purcell of Sam and Max fame. He's at Pixar now.

Irish film director Nora Twomey made a presentation on her new animated film The Breadwinner at the new location.

I've been a member of the CAM since 1993 and love the institution. I've met Stan Lee, Charles Schulz, Marc Davis, Ward Kimball, Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen, Lynn Johnston, Dale Messick, Patrick McDonnell, and many others at their events. 

Best,

Steven

19 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I really love CAM and have been supporting them and going to many of the exhibits. I am thrilled they have a new location, but.......

Its tougher to get to it going thru the city. I wanted to go to the opening but with having to deal with driving thru SF, especially this weekend with the women's march (great to see such huge turnouts across the country) it would make getting to CAM even harder. Plus the opening exhibit was a real let down. Though I have been a fan of Mignola's art, never really got into his Hellboy and CAM didn't even have his art on display. It was a tribute to him. This was a real disappointment, I know Andrew and the staff at CAM have been working very hard with this move but I was expecting something bigger as a grand opening exhibit.

I am looking forward to future exhibits at the CAM and do plan on going. Glad to see Felix has a good time at then opening.

Well, again, the main exhibit is Raina Telgemeier. I'd say that takes up 80% of the gallery. So that's the grand opening exhibit. The Hellboy tribute is just in the one room. (There is also one Mignola original Hellboy piece on display, FWIW.)

As for location...yes, it's a pain to get to anywhere in the City. But I do think this is an excellent location, with so much tourist foot traffic from being right between Fisherman's Wharf and Ghiradelli Square. If the idea is to expose people to comic art, this location will accomplish that much easier than the previous one. I applaud the museum for not only finding a new space, but a better one.

18 hours ago, wormboy said:

This is great Felix, thanks for posting the pics!

I didn’t even realize they had a new location until someone mentioned it to me at our Berkeley show yesterday.

And Raina is the main exhibit - that’s awesome! I can bring my 8 year old daughter, who has everything Raina has ever published (“Dad, they’re not comics, they’re graphic novels” lol).

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:

1. Can you tell us ‘who’s who’ in the first photo?

2. Is that a print or the catalog in the second pic?

Thanks!

1. L-R: Ben Seto, Nick Dragotta, Steve Purcell, Jonathan Wayshak, Mark Badger.

2. That's the catalog! Very impressive job putting it together by John Butler and Ryan Graff (pictured holding it). As a bonus, for anyone who made the signing, there were six full-size prints (one for each attending artist) that were included with the purchase of the catalog that evening. A fantastic deal for $25.

34 minutes ago, Nexus said:

1. L-R: Ben Seto, Nick Dragotta, Steve Purcell, Jonathan Wayshak, Mark Badger.

2. That's the catalog! Very impressive job putting it together by John Butler and Ryan Graff (pictured holding it). As a bonus, for anyone who made the signing, there were six full-size prints (one for each attending artist) that were included with the purchase of the catalog that evening. A fantastic deal for $25.

Ugh! I had to plan to go but bailed at the last minute. I just couldn't leave my overstressed wife behind with two wild toddlers. And as Brian said, it's just not an easy trek coming from the South Bay.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Butler. No surprise that catalog is awesome, based on cover and SIZE alone :)

The February episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is now up!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

It's a two-parter this month, with part one featuring Graphitti Designs founder/owner Bob Chapman! We cover the history of Graphitti, but focus mostly on original art (of course!) with special attention paid to their Gallery Edition line of books (similar to IDW's Artist's Editions). Hear the inside scoop on how these amazing volumes happen! Also, what about a Gallery Edition for David Mazzucchelli's BATMAN: YEAR ONE? Or the most influential manga of all time? Bob reveals all! Thanks Bob!

Thanks to Bob as well for his contribution to our Original Art Show & Tell series on YouTube!:

Part two is a tribute to the late, great Seth Fisher. Seth was a standout talent, on his way to becoming a superstar comics artist, when he left us far too soon. Joining me for this tribute are his brother Asa Wentzel-Fisher, artist Nick Pitarra, and artist (and Seth's best friend) Langdon Foss. Thanks to all three gents for sharing their insights about Seth and his art.

Which leads me to this announcement: Felix Comic Art is honored to assist the family of Seth Fisher in the sale of his original art. Seth's originals have never been easily accessible before; now his family has decided they are ready to share it with his fans. Most im portantly, ALL proceeds from the sale of this art will be for the benefit of Seth's wife and son. Please sign up for the mailing list at www.felixcomicart to find out when this special art becomes available.

IMG_9490.thumb.jpg.1a412b466e0a39debb616e46e88e002a.jpg

Thanks for your support and enjoy the show!

3 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

Nice podcast! I hope Seth's pages fly off the site and generate a nice sum for his family. Glad you're helping out by setting up the art offering. With your involvement and clout in the hobby, I know it will be a huge success.  Keep up the good work!

Thank you! The sale is tomorrow...fingers crossed! Details in Marketplace:

Thanks guys. Indeed, Seth's family is very happy that there are so many of Seth's fans out there, and that hopefully, there will be more new fans as a result of his art becoming more visible again after all these years.

Almost all the art has sold, but the good news is, the family is still holding onto additional pages. I've committed to help them as needed, so we plan to do this again in the future.

In the meantime, I do hope everyone checks out the scans. It's some damn cool art.

The Felix Comic Art Podcast is back for March 2018, straight from Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp

My guest this episode is Rob Salkowitz. Rob is a columnist for Forbes Magazine, as well as the author of COMIC CON AND THE BUSINESS OF POP CULTURE. Rob is a longtime observer and commentator on the business of comics, and he’s also a comic art collector. We discuss the evolution of comics, as an art form and as a business, and how that impacts the original art market. Joining us is my permanent co-host whenever I’m in Seattle, Andy Robbins. Thanks to Rob and Andy for sitting down with me at the show!

In part 2, I catch up with Andy to see what he’s been up to.

This month is the fourth anniversary of Felix Comic Art. To celebrate, we have updated and upgraded our website. Go check out our new look at felixcomicart.com! I'm very excited about our new chat feature. We will hold regularly scheduled chats where you can ask anything on the topic of original art. We'll also be joined on occasion by collectors you've heard on the show, as well as our artists. It'll be a great way to learn more about the hobby, stay connected with fellow collectors, and get to know our talented crew of artists! if you're not able to participate, no worries, we will archive chat transcripts which you can read at your leisure.

Our website again is felixcomicart.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy the show!

15 minutes ago, Nexus said:

we have updated and upgraded our website

Talk to your web designer about having your images not be set as background images. It makes them all disappear for people who need to use High Contrast themes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.afbf9667f3655b4f96f1059ab3fb382c.JPG