• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

Talk to your web designer about having your images not be set as background images. It makes them all disappear for people who need to use High Contrast themes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.afbf9667f3655b4f96f1059ab3fb382c.JPG

I don't use high contrast themes, but I agree that having thumbnails as background images is a mistake here. If this was done for vertical centering purposes, there are other ways to achieve the effect. 

I do like that the site is now responsive though. I'm hoping to see more sites in our hobby go this way, especially CAF (though I don't know how possible that is from an advertising perspective).

wow. great podcast. this was back to basics, collectors talking to collectors - and real treat overall.

one interesting point that came up with the Andy discussion was ending auction prices 'with juice'.  Although lots of folks say they look at the final price when they bid at HA - I think there are many of us who consistently fail to do this. The hammer price is always the physically larger # on the screen and the one that is mentioned by the auctioneer -while the 'juice' portion is played down. The end result is many of us spend more at HA - and the extra money doesn't go to the consignor.  This is one reason I like CLINK better -as ending prices don't carry that same level of fees that make it seem like a great result -but in HA's case -that result benefits them, not the consignor.

The other part of Andy's story about a friend who sold art to buy art - was very relatable.  I have sold stuff only to not have enough to fund a piece.  The trick, I learned, the hard way - is to buy first -and then sell.  this way if you lose the auction, no need to sell.

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast (again!) Felix. Very happy you started doing this, like some of you I also prefer the "collectors just chewing the fat" episodes, especially as I'm one of those sad specimens that doesn't know a single other person who also collects art. In fact the only time I ever get some facetime with other OA collectors is when I go to the US to bum around SDCC or Chicago Comic Con.

And I think Andy "forgot" to add the juice to his highest purchase ever just because he didn't want to psychologically deal with the bigger number :bigsmile:. I don't really subscribe to the notion that people at Heritage forget to add the buyer's premium to their bids, as it's there right in front in them each time they bid. How someone can forget a few thousand in "juice" is beyond me. Whenever I make a bid I just mentally add 20%. And yes I know it's 19,5% but with shipping and bank fees it might as well be 20.

Keep up the good work, I don't care if the collectors are BSDs or sketch-hounds, each of them has a few interesting stories and I've learned more from the podcast than I have in my 10 years+ of collecting.

Edited by chromium

3 hours ago, chromium said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast (again!) Felix. Very happy you started doing this, like some of you I also prefer the "collectors just chewing the fat" episodes, especially as I'm one of those sad specimens that doesn't know a single other person who also collects art. In fact the only time I ever get some facetime with other OA collectors is when I go to the US to bum around SDCC or Chicago Comic Con.

I'll be at both SDCC and C2E2, so hope you stop by and say hi! I'll also introduce you to any other collectors who are around.

And I think Andy "forgot" to add the juice to his highest purchase ever just because he didn't want to psychologically deal with the bigger number :bigsmile:. I don't really subscribe to the notion that people at Heritage forget to add the buyer's premium to their bids, as it's there right in front in them each time they bid. How someone can forget a few thousand in "juice" is beyond me. Whenever I make a bid I just mentally add 20%. And yes I know it's 19,5% but with shipping and bank fees it might as well be 20.

I think Andy forgot because he's just old:P I really don't know anyone who doesn't mentally add 20% to their bids...certainly not if they've been doing this a while.

Keep up the good work, I don't care if the collectors are BSDs or sketch-hounds, each of them has a few interesting stories and I've learned more from the podcast than I have in my 10 years+ of collecting.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Edited by Nexus

2 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

With some of the podcasts I wish there was a set of links for artists/books/general web resources that get mentioned.  Artists names are especially painful as my spelling is atrocious at the best of times!

I'll keep that in mind, but I never know ahead of time what will pop up. And afterward, as soon as we're done talking, I start forgetting (I'm about as old as Andy). So if there's anything in particular you want to know about, shoot me a PM/email or just ask here.

Next podcast is in the can (although I'm not sure if it will be the next episode released). We've talked about the documentary ART AND CRAFT here before; it's currently streaming on Amazon. Here's the trailer:

To get the most out of the next episode, I do recommend watching this film first. A sort of homework assignment. Hint: Art forgeries in the hobby are discussed. The doc is worth watching anyway, so if you haven't already seen it, check it out!

28 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Next podcast is in the can (although I'm not sure if it will be the next episode released). We've talked about the documentary ART AND CRAFT here before; it's currently streaming on Amazon. Here's the trailer:

To get the most out of the next episode, I do recommend watching this film first. A sort of homework assignment. Hint: Art forgeries in the hobby are discussed. The doc is worth watching anyway, so if you haven't already seen it, check it out!

Hi Felix,

Love the podcasts!

Can you reveal any more info about the newest episode ? 

On 3/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, MarvelComicsArt said:

When do you think the next episode will be posted?

thanks

Sometime during the first two weeks of April. I'm doing C2E2, so will probably post after I return.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:44 PM, MarvelComicsArt said:

Hi Felix,

Love the podcasts!

Can you reveal any more info about the newest episode ? 

Thanks!

Next episode discusses comic art forgeries, focusing on one of the biggest scandals in the history of the OA hobby...with a special guest!

Edited by Nexus

On 16/03/2018 at 12:14 PM, Nexus said:

Felix, 

Is there another link perhaps that might work for those of us outside of the states?

12 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

These are great Felix!

I like how Danzig said the Japanese artists don't sell their work because it would make them seem like failures.

I always wanted OA from Japan and now I know why there is so little available.

Thanks!

Yes, original manga art is scarce. I was on the hunt for it for many years in the late-'90's/early '00s. Got to meet several mangaka and learned a lot.

Tying this into the art forgery topic, check out this article from a few years ago:

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/06/manga-legends-just-what-are-they-selling/

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Felix, 

Is there another link perhaps that might work for those of us outside of the states?

See if this one works:

Otherwise, just google "Art and Craft trailer". See the movie if you can!