• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

Tying this into the art forgery topic, check out this article from a few years ago:

That Lum is amazing! I read she used to do 300 pages a month!

I was in SF along time ago heading for a surf trip to Costa Rica and missed the Astro Boy art exhibit. I was standing outside the museum and had to go. 

On 2018-03-18 at 9:13 PM, Alf Pogs said:

These are great Felix!

I like how Danzig said the Japanese artists don't sell their work because it would make them seem like failures.

I always wanted OA from Japan and now I know why there is so little available.

Danzig expresses it well.    I can’t even get American artists of Japanese heritage to sell me stuff let alone actual Japanese.    This thing runs deep with them.

22 hours ago, Nexus said:

Thanks!

Next episode discusses comic art forgeries, focusing on one of the biggest scandals in the history of the OA hobby...with a special guest!

Richard Rae returns ?

Watched the documentary, highly enjoyable...thought I saw a fake Dr. Seuss sketch and heard something about fake Peanuts strips.

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

I can’t even get American artists of Japanese heritage to sell me stuff let alone actual Japanese.    This thing runs deep with them.

I had a fantasy about jumping on a plane with 100 grand and coming back with pallet loads..... that would only get me 2 head sketches! :ohnoez:

3 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

I could find stacks of cels cheap in Japan Town all the time so I thought maybe this stuff is all over Japan like trading cards.  xD

any time someone brings up cels, I have to remind them that... 24 frames a second... times 60 seconds in a minute... times 22 minutes an episode... times X episodes a season (let's say 20)... times Y seasons (let's say 8)... the amount of cels produced for the average cartoon series is mind boggling.    In our example that math works out to 5 *million*.      For ONE series.    They are everywhere for a reason!

*I'm sure 5 million is overstating it a little, because not every second of every episode has 24 frames a second.    So let's divide by 5 to be conservative.

Leaves one million even.   Rare!!

(The Akira movie alone, which was what, 90 minutes (?) used 100,000 cels.   So one million cels for 160 episodes of a regular cartoon without the high production values of Akira?    Probably not unreasonable).

In addition, there are lots of "limited edition cels" of say 500, which I understand to be basically slapped together recreations not used in production.      "Hand painted" (hem) but in an edition of that size and with art of such low complexity... more like a print than anything.

Edited by Bronty

Fair point!   

But it just doesn't seem to happen.   Its mind boggling.

Maybe part of the issue is that the art everyone wants is from the successful artists?    In a culture where selling art makes you look like a failure, the successful guys would never sell anything although the unsuccessful might... but we don't really care about those or even inquire.

Here in NA though, the minute these guys croak there would be a fire sale.   Doesn't happen over there.   The estates hang on to it even.

Edited by Bronty

On 3/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, skrilla1212 said:

Am I the only one dying to know what the piece Felix bought for $6k that was the subject of the 2nd half of the podcast? :bigsmile:

I don't think it was mentioned, probably out of Felix being a classy (and savvy) guy, but color me intrigued.

I had actually told Andy about it privately before, when the offer was made, so he knows the piece. I didn't feel it was necessary to talk about it specifically on the podcast; it's more the idea of not wanting to sell out of strong (and possibly irrational) attachment, whatever the piece may be.

If I ever see you at a show though, remind me of this and I'll tell you, too.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Fair point!   

But it just doesn't seem to happen.   Its mind boggling.

Maybe part of the issue is that the art everyone wants is from the successful artists?    In a culture where selling art makes you look like a failure, the successful guys would never sell anything although the unsuccessful might... but we don't really care about those or even inquire.

Here in NA though, the minute these guys croak there would be a fire sale.   Doesn't happen over there.   The estates hang on to it even.

In many cases, the publisher owns the physical art. So long as they're going concerns, it's unlikely that art is sold, either.

26 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

Insane stacks these guys must have.  Watched a video of Ikegami still cranking out pages at 70.

Get on a plane Felix and shake some loose!  :headbang:

Through an entirely different hobby, I met Ikegami's top assistant many years ago. He gave me the insider's scoop on the manga industry. It was quite an education. A key takeaway being that any thoughts of acquiring high-profile original manga art were a pipe dream.

(Some Ikegami trivia: He was a big fan of Neal Adams. Also, even by that point, he was mostly just filling in the faces on the art. An assembly line of assistants handled the rest.)

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

I had actually told Andy about it privately before, when the offer was made, so he knows the piece. I didn't feel it was necessary to talk about it specifically on the podcast; it's more the idea of not wanting to sell out of strong (and possibly irrational) attachment, whatever the piece may be.

If I ever see you at a show though, remind me of this and I'll tell you, too.

If it's on your CAF (and we know from your story that it at least was), it can really only be one or two pieces by process of elimination! 

7 hours ago, Nexus said:

In many cases, the publisher owns the physical art. So long as they're going concerns, it's unlikely that art is sold, either.

Yes and that just underlined the differences between here and there because here the companies for whom illustrations are commissioned don’t give a $&@! once the product is released.    There they have everything from decades ago under lock and key

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If it's on your CAF (and we know from your story that it at least was), it can really only be one or two pieces by process of elimination! 

I wonder if it still is though, to my eye nothing posted in 2009 lines up. (Maybe late 2008, YTLM #1 cover?) And we know "everything" isn't up there because Felix has at least one Dalrymple Wrenchies but no Wrenchies on his CAF. It's a closed room murder mystery!

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Just took a look. My guess: The Neal Adams cover

(Possibly Aliens poster, but that one likely wouldn't have the other sales comps mentioned.)

2 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Just took a look. My guess: The Neal Adams cover

(Possibly Aliens poster, but that one likely wouldn't have the other sales comps mentioned.)

I'm not sure he wouldn't have sold that cover for $70K. :flipbait:

Edited by PhilipB2k17