• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2018 at 6:54 PM, J.Sid said:

Just took a look. My guess: The Neal Adams cover

(Possibly Aliens poster, but that one likely wouldn't have the other sales comps mentioned.)

I looked too and tried sluething. That we all have different guesses is what makes it fun. My guess based on what was divulged:

-was posted ~2009 or earlier

- was purchased for $6k. 

-had no real comps at the time.

-has someone at least two people (Felix and prospective buyer) who think it’s the bees knees

-has had a comp come out (I think $50k, but I didn’t re-listen, not look at archives).

Anyway, it’s fun to speculate. Hopefully harmlessly. My guess would be the Y the last man cover. I can see how that would be “priceless” to fans of the series and not really have any comps.

Felix- I’ll try and catch you at a con as suggested to ask, and say thanks for the podcast and content you provide the hobby!

23 hours ago, skrilla1212 said:

I looked too and tried sluething. That we all have different guesses is what makes it fun. My guess based on what was divulged:

-was posted ~2009 or earlier

- was purchased for $6k. 

-had no real comps at the time.

-has someone at least two people (Felix and prospective buyer) who think it’s the bees knees

-has had a comp come out (I think $50k, but I didn’t re-listen, not look at archives).

Anyway, it’s fun to speculate. Hopefully harmlessly. My guess would be the Y the last man cover. I can see how that would be “priceless” to fans of the series and not really have any comps.

Speculate away! Again, I don't think it's so important to know the piece, it's more about the idea. But mostly, I suspect most (if not all) of you would consider me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you knew!

23 hours ago, skrilla1212 said:

Felix- I’ll try and catch you at a con as suggested to ask, and say thanks for the podcast and content you provide the hobby!

Thanks for the kinds words and you're welcome!

Newest addition to the site is a weekly chat that anyone can join. I plan on having artists and collectors as guest co-hosts from time to time. So anyone who isn't able to make it to shows can at least have some interaction with artists and fellow collectors via the chats. Here's the link:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/chats.asp

You may catch a boardie or two...stay tuned!

I think you told me which piece it was in a pm once... amazing offer.    But good on you for holding onto it, show's you're the right owner for it!

On 3/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, Nexus said:

Through an entirely different hobby, I met Ikegami's top assistant many years ago. He gave me the insider's scoop on the manga industry. It was quite an education. A key takeaway being that any thoughts of acquiring high-profile original manga art were a pipe dream.

(Some Ikegami trivia: He was a big fan of Neal Adams. Also, even by that point, he was mostly just filling in the faces on the art. An assembly line of assistants handled the rest.)

I was at Ikegami's Spotlight Panel at SDCC a long time ago and he spoke of his admiration for Neal Adams. 

Found this fascinating program on Youtube where mangaka Naoki Urasawa visits Ryoichi Ikegami. We get to see Ikegami draw several faces and they talk about his work. Urasawa Naoki no Manben: Ikegami Ryoichi (S3E1, 2016) [english subs]

Welcome to The Felix Comic Art Podcast, where we always keep it real! Even when we discuss fake art...which brings us to...

Those who follow us on social media saw that I recently had a homework assignment for podcast listeners: To watch the documentary ART AND CRAFT (now streaming on Amazon Prime). It's about the most notorious art forger of the last 30 years, Mark Landis.

The documentary shows Mark duping museums and institutions all over the US with his forged fine art. What the documentary doesn't address is how Mark got his start over 30 years ago: By forging original comic art.

In this episode, we get to talk to Mark directly about his comic art forgeries, and what resulted in the biggest fake art scandal in the history of the original comic art hobby.

Part two features former CFA-APA editor Benno Rothschild to share the other side of the story: The collectors who were duped in the scam. Benno also provides the inside scoop of what went down, as well as shares his thoughts on how we can avoid something similar again.

We close the show with a quick segment on my buddy Yams, who puts these shows together, and has become quite popular in his own right amongst our artists and guests. You'll hear more from Yams down the line.

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for the mailing list to stay on top of all announcements, new art, and exclusives! Follow us in Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy the show!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

Great episode!    I had several loud chuckles listening to you trying to keep him on track Felix

Haha! Thanks! Yes, it was a bit of a challenge. But knew what to expect from watching the documentary. Plus, I had chatted with him a few times prior to the podcast. He was actually doing much better!

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

He was actually doing much better!

You can always tell when somebody has been part of a formal recovery program (AA, anger management etc) or intensive psychotherapy, they start to zombie-like repeat catch-phrases like: life is a wheel with many spokes. It's funny but also sad. I guess whatever gets Mark (and all others with 'issues') through the day in one piece without harming themselves or others is positive, but I also see it as a warning sign that I'm not dealing with a thinking individual. Dude's a catch-phrase zombie. Bet he likes those motivational office posters too ;)

2568471174_5f581aa201.jpg

DLdV9Ze.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Nexus said:

Mark Landis' original ad (circa early 1980s).

image.png.8e3812ee3fca5a03d80dfee380c55b17.png

My take: He started out scamming people, and only later on decided he would "give away" things, probably because he got busted in the OA scam. This ad supplies evidence. He was taking trade (which is indeed fraud) but also selling pieces.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

My take: He started out scamming people, and only later on decided he would "give away" things, probably because he got busted in the OA scam. This ad supplies evidence. He was taking trade (which is indeed fraud) but also selling pieces.

Based on the documentary, i'm betting his mom told him he was doing something bad.

Long story short, it's clear this is a man with mental disorders and issues with his moral compass.  Fraud or not, the man was doing something immoral with both Comic Art and Fine Art.