• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

Another thought inducing episode.  I wish I could hop into my time machine and see if the Nostalia thing really does break the hobby or not.  Would also like to see who history reveres as the true masters of the art 200 years hence (assuming our society is around, which to me is more questionable than if OA will make it into the "big leagues").

So with apologies to those who know a lot more than I what is the significance of the Master Race art? I tried to look online to figure it out - but having found nothing, I return to the knowledgeable folks here. I did find the story and read it.  Not clear why it's important though.  Did it influence certain things/creators in any direct way?

I know the story itself reminded me of an Eisner short story about a criminal that was obsessed so much with being discovered that he ended up killing himself by accident.  Still - would love info from someone who can add context.  If it's simply a famous ec comics story - ok. But from Felix's interview I got the sense that it was more than that.

Edited by Panelfan1

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

So with apologies to those who know a lot more than I what is the significance of the Master Race art? I tried to look online to figure it out - but having found nothing, I return to the knowledgeable folks here. I did find the story and read it.  Not clear why it's important though.  Did it influence certain things/creators in any direct way?

I know the story itself reminded me of an Eisner short story about a criminal that was obsessed so much with being discovered that he ended up killing himself by accident.  Still - would love info from someone who can add context.  If it's simply a famous ec comics story - ok. But from Felix's interview I got the sense that it was more than that.

Despite the original request for just an amount, you can find some of what you're after in this recent thread.

10 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Despite the original request for just an amount, you can find some of what you're after in this recent thread.

Thanks for the link. Responded over there. It's amazing how a 4 page link doesn't answer a simple question.

13 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for their support of the show.

Here's a piece I just posted to CAF that came courtesy of Todd from a while back. I'm a big Dan Clowes fan; the truly great pieces have been elusive. Which is OK, I've been very happy with the pages I've gotten (and actually prefer those to covers, in most cases). But no way could I pass this up. Priced for that one buyer...I guess that was me. Was worth it, though, now I can say I'm done. Thanks Todd.

danclowesimmortalsplashb.jpg

I don't love it but I really, really like it. That just means I wouldn't have paid the price, which is as it should be. There are select other Clowes that I desire much, much more and I suspect that priced-for-one price would be for me. Listening, I was wondering what piece you got and I'm really happy you chose to share!

On 10/23/2018 at 7:10 AM, Nexus said:
Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. We'll have a bonus episode out very soon just for iTunes reviewers with the inimitable Gene Park. We're glad to be back, thanks for listening!

I finally got around to leaving a review.  A bit late, I know.  What steps do I need to take to make sure I get the bonus episodes when they come out?

Mike

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

I've decided to make the formerly exclusive episode with Gene available to all...and it's now up!

Very kind of you. Some of us flat out boycott Apple and cannot upvote or whatever on iTunes, even though we would otherwise based on the excellent on-topic output you produce.

I don't know...sounds like more pessimism and lamenting (whining?) about "new blood" (which apparently doesn't count unless you go on CAF and "make a splash") and that no one younger than 45 will ever appreciate Barry Windsor Effing Smith.  Not very interesting to listen to, I turned it off with 57 minutes remaining.  I'm sorry you older guys on here think your hobby is imploding.  I happen to disagree.  There will always be changes in taste, but I also heartily believe that over time the cream of this art form will rise and people even younger than myself can appreciate the Barry Windsor Smiths (or insert artist working prior to 1990) of the world.

11 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I don't know...sounds like more pessimism and lamenting (whining?) about "new blood" (which apparently doesn't count unless you go on CAF and "make a splash") and that no one younger than 45 will ever appreciate Barry Windsor Effing Smith.  Not very interesting to listen to, I turned it off with 57 minutes remaining.  I'm sorry you older guys on here think your hobby is imploding.  I happen to disagree.  There will always be changes in taste, but I also heartily believe that over time the cream of this art form will rise and people even younger than myself can appreciate the Barry Windsor Smiths (or insert artist working prior to 1990) of the world.

Fair enough but...will "new" blood be willing to cash out "old" blood for the anticipated roi that the rest of the hobby is/will experience above cola? A number of us doubt that, I'm sure Gene does too. Otherwise, who wouldn't take any BWS for $100...right? But that's not the question.

36 minutes ago, vodou said:

Fair enough but...will "new" blood be willing to cash out "old" blood for the anticipated roi that the rest of the hobby is/will experience above cola? A number of us doubt that, I'm sure Gene does too. Otherwise, who wouldn't take any BWS for $100...right? But that's not the question.

Yes, if feels as this board certainly leans one way on that question, but no one really knows do they?  I've asserted that I believe this "hobby"' will move into more of a fine art situation...maybe not exactly the same animal, but something similar.  And who really knows what kind of lens history will view all these funny book artists we enjoy.  In the short term, the board could be right, but again in the long term I think this hobby matures well.  I know that's maybe not a great response, but I don't want to get into writing a treatise on an online board.

@delekkerste I re-read my initial post and used some language that I would not otherwise (certainly not in person).  My tone was overly harsh, and I apologize.  I was hungry and on the way to lunch when I got all worked up.  I dislike to use an excuse, but I do love art (comic or otherwise) and can get a bit sideways at times.

EDIT: I'll also add that I'd love to own a lot of that stuff, but prices being what they are I have to stay disciplined as OA is not my only "hobby".

Edited by Andahaion
additional context

5 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I've asserted that I believe this "hobby"' will move into more of a fine art situation...maybe not exactly the same animal, but something similar.  And who really knows what kind of lens history will view all these funny book artists we enjoy.  In the short term, the board could be right, but again in the long term I think this hobby matures well.  I know that's maybe not a great response, but I don't want to get into writing a treatise on an online board.    @delekkerste

Okay but what do you think will happen to the prices of bad art (lacking a universally popular aesthetic), that which is beloved by a certain bandwidth of fans (aged 9-14 when the books came out) on a pure nostalgia basis but which has no other support outside that band? We'll all have our own examples of "bad" but instead let's leave it vague and I'd like to know if you think non-nostalgic outside of comics altogether would have any interest in that material, at any price? Do I have this wrong, are you thinking there will be no "bad" comic art if the future you see and/or hope for? This btw is not a poke-jab but speaks instead to the possibility of certain comic oa being regarded the way fine art has, sort of, accepted self-taught, naive, Sunday painter, folk and other "lacking a universally popular aesthetic" categories.

I think it's great to hear this type of discussion. The good thing that I always seem to hear on Felix's podcast is the helpfulness and guidance that many collectors in the hobby have received from the older generation. I think veterans engaging with younger collectors and remembering that there is a learning curve will help to keep the hobby strong. I had no idea what the significance of 'Master Race' was when it popped up on Heritage other than the fact that it was a complete EC story. However, I probably wouldn't want to engage with you if you looked down upon me for that fact or if I confused it with DKIII. Anyone collecting today has probably worked their way back in time from wherever there childhood was. That happens when there is a good community where the more experienced continue to engage with both peers and the next generation rather than being insular. The chain will continue if it is continued. 

Thanks Gene for doing that,  it was very informative for me. Also, very much enjoyed listening to Lambert. His commentary is always well grounded and 'real'. Seems to me him and Felix are the prototypes for the types of veteran collectors this hobby needs to stay vibrant. 

16 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

@delekkerste I re-read my initial post and used some language that I would not otherwise (certainly not in person).  My tone was overly harsh, and I apologize.  I was hungry and on the way to lunch when I got all worked up.  I dislike to use an excuse, but I do love art (comic or otherwise) and can get a bit sideways at times.

EDIT: I'll also add that I'd love to own a lot of that stuff, but prices being what they are I have to stay disciplined as OA is not my only "hobby".

(thumbsu

No worries.  I feel that, if I didn't get a lot of push back from the under-40 set on this podcast, then I probably didn't get my point across. lol  I think some of what I said could be classified as "intentionally provocative". :devil:  And yet, while I was definitely painting with a broad brush, I think there's a lot of truth there as well.  I think it was meant to be less lamenting that a lot of art and artists are falling out of favor, and more just acknowledging the fact that, for better or worse, it is happening.  And, if this is happening, maybe a lot of the other things that the consensus in the hobby takes for granted as being a permanent state of affairs might actually be subject to generational/demographic changes over time as well... hm