• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, Peter L said:

Consider doing a panel of this kind at SDCC.  I would love to hear a live panel discuss this stuff and collecting and things like how do you store your art, and about your favorite pieces.

I put on a panel Collecting Comic Art at SDCC almost 15 years ago. Had collectors and artists on it. It was a fun panel to do but never did get a very large audience maybe 3 dozen at most. If Felix or anyone wants to do a similar panel for SDCC, I would love to help out.

4 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

listened to the podcast.  agree with most of what was said with the exception on frazetta.  I think his art touched different fandoms and has a broader appeal than just to the comic art crowd which should support his prices. 

I plan to test this by wearing the death dealer ugly Christmas sweater to my work holiday party. Except I can't bring myself to spend 100 dollars on that thing. I predict no one will know the reference.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, Nexus said:

I met Lambert very early on in my collecting. He has definitely shaped how I collect, and how I view the hobby. I've learned so much from him. One of these days, I'll sit down with him for a proper chat.

Think it would be great to hear you guys just chop it up regularly, if convenient. Would be nice to just be a fly on the wall for your conversations if you hang out often.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, Andahaion said:

Ha.  My father in law is actively looking for one, and he comes to me for advice on his art purchases.  I try to keep it professional, but I've come close to looking him in the eye and saying, "please don't do this".  But to each their own.

I was in...Sacramento (I think) and had a similar experience with a local shop.  I asked if they had any "original art" and the clerk went upstairs and brought down a slabbed book with a sketch of Thanos by Ron Lim.  It was interesting to see how she reacted to it.  She held it like it was a newborn.  Then I told her I was looking for original published pages and she gave me a Ted Theodore Logan, "whoa".  I chuckled and assumed that was a 'no'. 

I think they're 40+ because that seems to be about the age when most folks can dole out a good amount of cash for artwork.  It doesn't mean they didn't want it, or didn't have an appreciation for it in their 20s.  I think there's a natural progression and education that takes place and will continue to take place going forward.  I look at vintage pages and know nothing about the story, but I see the image, see the artist and have a draw toward it.  There are many Silver and Bronze age artists whose work I've frankly never read, but who I'd love to own good examples from.  Hope that makes sense.

I didn't know about Master Race either, but learning is always ongoing.

I went to a shop in Indianapolis recently and they had a bunch of commission sketches, but no published art. Admittedly, the circa 1970 Neal Adams Deadman colored drawing on 11x17 paper was tempting.  

On 11/29/2018 at 11:10 AM, Nexus said:

Ha! She's right! "Intelligent Collector" sounds only slightly better than "Intelligent Junkie". We're all pretty hopeless at this point.

My wife tolerates my collecting, at best. But, I bought some art from Ice Cream Man, a modern book out right now (that is getting a lot of acclaim, including from Brian K Vaughn who says it’s a must read for him every month), and she loved the art. I even printed out a scan of her favorite page for her to take to work. Go figure! Here’s the page. She has a macabre sense of humor, which includes buying a Chuckie doll, complete with knife. :grin:

D41645BB-1E07-4B37-9DAA-1F690DDDECDE.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 12/3/2018 at 5:39 PM, eewwnuk said:

listened to the podcast.  agree with most of what was said with the exception on frazetta.  I think his art touched different fandoms and has a broader appeal than just to the comic art crowd which should support his prices. 

RE: the Quality vs Nostalgia debate. I think in the long, long, run quality will win out. How many collectors ever even heard of Carol Day let alone read or thought to collect the original art from that strip. A lot of people into Carol Day art are NOT buying it for nostalgia reasons. They just really appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry of it. These are almost entirely mature collectors. 

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

A lot of people into Carol Day art are NOT buying it for nostalgia reasons. They just really appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry of it. These are almost entirely mature collectors. 

First, there are not a lot of people buying Carol Day strips.

Second, no one is buying them for direct nostalgia reasons anymore. 

That is why they sell for chump change as beautiful as they are.  

20 hours ago, Nexus said:

Earlier this year, I got an unexpected e-mail from the artist, Stephen Bissette. Especially surprising since we had never communicated before. He was reaching out to me because he had gotten my contact e-mail from John Totleben. Now John Totleben was someone with whom I HAD exchanged e-mails in the past...over 10 years ago! At the time, he maintained his own website, and had some beautiful art that he was selling on it (those of you around back then will remember). Except that by the time I had contacted him, he had decided to keep the pages that I wanted. No problem, I wished him well and didn't bother him about it again.

Well, incredibly, Totleben hung onto my e-mail. So when Bissette asked him if he knew any serious collectors he could approach about a SWAMP THING page he had kept all these years, Totleben passed mine along as someone who wouldn't give him too much grief!

Here's the page, #19 from arguably the greatest single issue of all-time, THE SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #21. Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, and John Totleben's game-changing "The Anatomy Lesson". Many thanks to Stephen Bissette (and to John Totleben for, fittingly, providing the crucial assist!).

image.png.2d78e6b186301384850e76e7bfe0a736.png

Fantastic get and story Felix!  Congrats!  I have GOT to read this saga some day. 

Another great podcast, Chuck is always a great person to talk with. Love hearing the history of him getting all the Punisher covers/posters back together. Though its always painful to hear the original prices on some of those covers sold back in the 80s. Being on the west coast, access to artists was very limiting.

Even though I live in California, I did get to attend one of Chuck's Cherry Blossom Spectacular back in 2011. I was back in DC on vacation and just happen to be there during the Cherry Blossom. It was alot of fun got to meet a number of collectors who usually don't get to come out to the west coast. Plus got to meet Mike Vosburg, he didn't bring much artwork but I got a chance to talk with him. On his website was a fantastic Avengers painting (Steed and Emma Peel) which I loved. Asked about it and he said he still has it. Was able to do a deal for that and he would do an iPod commission for me. Also learned we are both BIG Hitchcock fans.

Never was able to goto another Cherry Blossom Spectacular but have had the pleasure of being at Chuck's get togethers before SDCC and the first LA Ultimate show. All were alot of fun, looking forward to this year's.

Here is the Avengers piece.

tOG1Xcqg_170117222957lola.jpg