• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

I have a maybe delicate question about the recent podcast.  In the interview the two people were referring to their age range (as in people at their age) but there was no context to what their ages actually were.  It was assumed that the listener would know how old they might be.  If the doctor had the DKR art and sold it to pay for medical school, then should we assume they were now both in their mid 50s?

4 hours ago, Peter L said:

I have a maybe delicate question about the recent podcast.  In the interview the two people were referring to their age range (as in people at their age) but there was no context to what their ages actually were.  It was assumed that the listener would know how old they might be.  If the doctor had the DKR art and sold it to pay for medical school, then should we assume they were now both in their mid 50s?

Late 40s/early 50s

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Late 40s/early 50s

Wow then they are pretty accomplished to have collected so much art at such a young age, and for the doctor to have been Frank Frazetta's business agent.  

Why was the Hulk 181 sold privately and not at Heritage?  I would think Heritage might have brought out more bidders.

16 hours ago, delekkerste said:

All you have to know is that it turned up and sold for more than any piece of Magic:The Gathering or videogame art ever will. 

:jokealert: :baiting:lol 

Wow a little salty are we?  🤣 I love that six and seven figure game art sales pizz you off this degree 😝   And never say never.  After all the three certainties in a day are that the sun will rise, the sun will set, and Gene will make an incorrect prediction about collectibles :baiting: love ya :p;) :kidaround:

Edited by Bronty

34 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Wow a little salty are we?  🤣 I love that six and seven figure game art sales pizz you off this degree 😝   And never say never.  After all the three certainties in a day are that the sun will rise, the sun will set, and Gene will make an incorrect prediction about collectibles :baiting: love ya :p;) :kidaround:

No salt, just taking the pizz (and succeeding at it, I see!) lol :baiting: 

I don't even know if the Hulk #181 has sold or not, let alone at what price. (shrug) 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

I don't even know if the Hulk #181 has sold or not, let alone at what price. (shrug) 

I know you well enough to know you're little annoyed about it ;) 

I was wondering about the price/ whether sold.   You made it sound like it was a done deal, but I guess not!

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

I know you well enough to know you're little annoyed about it ;) 

I was wondering about the price/ whether sold.   You made it sound like it was a done deal, but I guess not!

I'm so happy it's two other people instead of me and somebody. Thrilled to watch from the sidelines, even though it's already over :(

9 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Going to switch things up, though, and have on some real kids soon.

Looking forward to this. Like yourself, I know exactly what my demographic values (and overvalues), but the youngsters ??? , well Rob Liefeld aside ;)

58 minutes ago, vodou said:

Looking forward to this. Like yourself, I know exactly what my demographic values (and overvalues), but the youngsters ??? , well Rob Liefeld aside ;)

I have a feeling it’s even younger than the Liefeld demographic :popcorn:

For those asking about the "Frazetta Erotic Images" (as DocDave describes them) referenced on the podcast, here's a piece written by former podcast guest, Suat Tong Ng:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/11/dont-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-mr-frazetta-nsfw/

As always, unmistakably and singularly a Suat essay. The comment thread is worth a read, as well.

Questions for me from the beginning: Should these have been made public and sold? Can that be considered a betrayal? Does the existence of these drawings affect Frazetta's legacy? Everyone can decide for themselves.

Additional question: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Meaning...the material was created by Frazetta, whatever your opinion on that fact, would anything be different if you never knew about it? Would you prefer to have never known? Is ignorance bliss?

Thank you to Vodou and for Nexus for the additional information.  It was important for me to see what was being covered so I could make my own opinion.  The vague descriptions of it actually suggest something far worse in my mind than the actual images.  So it was better to see what was being discussed than hearing the vague "Frazetta Erotic Images that are also racist."

I'm not downplaying or dismissing the problematic issues with it.  I have a lot of opinions on it but nothing to add to the conversation.  

On 5/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, Nexus said:

For those asking about the "Frazetta Erotic Images" (as DocDave describes them) referenced on the podcast, here's a piece written by former podcast guest, Suat Tong Ng:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/11/dont-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-mr-frazetta-nsfw/

As always, unmistakably and singularly a Suat essay. The comment thread is worth a read, as well.

Questions for me from the beginning: Should these have been made public and sold? Can that be considered a betrayal? Does the existence of these drawings affect Frazetta's legacy? Everyone can decide for themselves.

"There is nothing subtle about the content here which makes its wide acceptance altogether more distasteful."

Ummm...what exactly is allegedly going on here?  I mean, sure, I can make up a salacious narrative, but, I have no idea what's actually in the book, and have no way to place the context of this image otherwise. 

Frazetta-Tarzan.jpg

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

One of the artists I rep, Daniel Warren Johnson, has been producing his own fan mini-comics over the last several years. Just for fun. The latest, OLD MAN SKYWALKER, has gotten a lot of attention on social media. Here are the original art scans...enjoy!

300519185306vKQECsPqbe.jpg310519014332T5p9rXsgvI.jpg310519014359ySKS2XdMIQ.jpg310519014424gFz2QJimvV.jpg310519014458DZnfetkqPm.jpg300519185403EgxTZ27Fm9.jpg300519183823LJHGIFMYxr.jpg3005191838233acTu7JmdN.jpg300519183823OEUgr7GJ1N.jpg3005191838243Qgxpaodqb.jpg300519183824sujvzrUyg9.jpg300519183825QjzTLS8zSB.jpg

Have you tweeted any of those images to Mark Hammill? I suspect he’d enjoy them.