• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

One of the artists I rep, Daniel Warren Johnson, has been producing his own fan mini-comics over the last several years. Just for fun. The latest, OLD MAN SKYWALKER, has gotten a lot of attention on social media. Here are the original art scans...enjoy!

300519185306vKQECsPqbe.jpg310519014332T5p9rXsgvI.jpg310519014359ySKS2XdMIQ.jpg310519014424gFz2QJimvV.jpg310519014458DZnfetkqPm.jpg300519185403EgxTZ27Fm9.jpg300519183823LJHGIFMYxr.jpg3005191838233acTu7JmdN.jpg300519183823OEUgr7GJ1N.jpg3005191838243Qgxpaodqb.jpg300519183824sujvzrUyg9.jpg300519183825QjzTLS8zSB.jpg

Most Impressive!

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Heritage Auctions? The Felix Comic Art Podcast reports on Heritage's Comics and Comic Art Signature Auction from May, which featured Frank Frazetta's record-shattering "Egyptian Queen". With a first-hand account is our long-time friend, and brand-new field reporter, Ron Sonenthal! Along with, of course, plenty of the hardcore comic art talk you love!

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive announcements and opportunities, including awesome giveaways! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook to see and discover the best in modern comics art. Leave a rating/review for the show on iTunes...we'll read it on the next episode! Thanks and enjoy the show!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pId=40

Played catch-up today and listened to the last 2 podcasts featuring Dr. Stephen Ferzoco and Ron Sonenthal.

I'd be interested in seeing more of Dr Steve's (c) collection on CAF.  Ron's collection... always appreciated his DC art.

@Nexus You asked Ron if he saw who took the phone bid for the EQ.  Ron responded that he didn't see.  I've been wondering about why you asked.  Is there a significance to WHO took the phone bid ?

13 hours ago, Nexus said:

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Heritage Auctions? The Felix Comic Art Podcast reports on Heritage's Comics and Comic Art Signature Auction from May, which featured Frank Frazetta's record-shattering "Egyptian Queen". With a first-hand account is our long-time friend, and brand-new field reporter, Ron Sonenthal! Along with, of course, plenty of the hardcore comic art talk you love!

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive announcements and opportunities, including awesome giveaways! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook to see and discover the best in modern comics art. Leave a rating/review for the show on iTunes...we'll read it on the next episode! Thanks and enjoy the show!

Very interesting field report from Ron. I was surprised of the small turnout for the live bidding. While I have not been to any of The HA  Signature Live Auctions I have heard a number of stories of how big the audience is for the Los Angeles Signature Auctions. It might have something to do with it only being the 2nd one in Chicago and LA having a large collector pool (From comic art, comic book to movie memorabilia and other collectibles.) or HA not originally planning on having the painting at the live auction.  

Disappointed that the Egyptian Queen only got one bid above reserve. Too bad they didn't go with a no reserve auction then it would have been more interesting but may have not been as high. I have talked with people in other collecting realms and they state no reserve auctions can sometimes be better than a reserve one. People know someone will go home with it and gets many into the bidding and some its like gambling they keep bidding maybe beyond they comfort level.

You mentioned HA has a San Francisco office and they will display art. I can confirm that. Back in 2015 for the November Signature HA Auction. They brought up some pieces to the SF office, one was Flash Gordon Union Carbide Magazine Ad by Al Williamson. I had been looking for a Williamson Flash Gordon from the period where he drew the Gold Key series. This was one of the nicest examples and I asked a friend who worked at HA if they could bring it to SF office for me to see. Seeing it in person convinced me it was the one I had to have and ended up being the high bidder for it. Framed and hanging in my den.

Ron Sonenthal Cub Reporter for FCAP.

th.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

14 hours ago, Nexus said:

I love the podcasts.  I suggested in another thread that I would appreciate a SDCC panel like with what you do with the podcast and on collecting.  I think it would be terrific.  

I also think it's a good way for the vast number of SDCC attendees to learn about collecting art.  I used to go to conventions and skip the original art tables, not understanding what I as looking at.  This would have been an unembarrassing way to learn about the field.

9 minutes ago, Peter L said:

I love the podcasts.  I suggested in another thread that I would appreciate a SDCC panel like with what you do with the podcast and on collecting.  I think it would be terrific.  

I also think it's a good way for the vast number of SDCC attendees to learn about collecting art.  I used to go to conventions and skip the original art tables, not understanding what I as looking at.  This would have been an unembarrassing way to learn about the field.

Peter, I did Collecting Comic Art panel at SDCC 2003-2005. It was alot of fun but alot of work, since SDCC is an animal on to itself. With so much going on at SDCC many miss out on panels. I usually only make one or two during the whole con, But its been almost 15 years so things may have changed. Would be great to have someone do a comic art panel again.

Edited by Brian Peck

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I was surprised of the small turnout for the live bidding. While I have not been to any of The HA  Signature Live Auctions I have heard a number of stories of how big the audience is for the Los Angeles Signature Auctions.

I attended a number of them many years ago, room turnout was always small (more empty chairs than not). But to spread was good. No food for Chicago? That's a bummer!

My experience like Felix's, from the years well before Felix's too, was dealers put a floor on everything. No steals ever. That fact dampened my enthusiasm to thrill bid immensely, a feeling that has not waned, leaving only the Sunday slushfests to cherry-pick from. Dealers eventually ruined that too.

10 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Disappointed that the Egyptian Queen only got one bid above reserve.

Actually, it only met the reserve.  No bids above it. 

12 hours ago, Will_K said:

@Nexus You asked Ron if he saw who took the phone bid for the EQ.  Ron responded that he didn't see.  I've been wondering about why you asked.  Is there a significance to WHO took the phone bid ?

The significance is that the piece was widely believed to be guaranteed at the reserve price. And, as such, people are wondering if the piece sold to the guarantor (probably Jim H. or Heritage itself), or, if they coaxed a last second bid from someone else at that price.  Not that them taking "the winning bid" from a phone bidder necessarily means that it was the latter instead of the former. 

22 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Even if the event is held in Flint Michigan, at 19.5% vig, I better get a ham sandwich with my complimentary bottle of water. 

ESPECIALLY if its held in Flint, Michigan :insane: (no offense Michiganders!)

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Actually, it only met the reserve.  No bids above it. 

The significance is that the piece was widely believed to be guaranteed at the reserve price. And, as such, people are wondering if the piece sold to the guarantor (probably Jim H. or Heritage itself), or, if they coaxed a last second bid from someone else at that price.  Not that them taking "the winning bid" from a phone bidder necessarily means that it was the latter instead of the former. 

I hope I’m not misreading what you write here, but just throwing out there. During his podcast, Jim Halperin said that he and his employees can bid on lots so long as it’s during proxy bidding and not during live bidding. So if the winning bid was by phone, couldn’t we cross off Jim as the winner of EQ?

Fun podcast to listen to, Felix and Ron. In especially enjoyed the history behind the Miller piece and just how those deals go down. 

So about those mail-in and fax bids. I wonder what their win rate is? That analog method of bidding may sound antiquated but I bet it keeps the exuberant bidding in check!

28 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I hope I’m not misreading what you write here, but just throwing out there. During his podcast, Jim Halperin said that he and his employees can bid on lots so long as it’s during proxy bidding and not during live bidding. So if the winning bid was by phone, couldn’t we cross off Jim as the winner of EQ?

I believe that's what was stated (but don't remember the exact wording of such)...regardless, would it preclude them from tripping a reserve in the live bidding session if no one else did?  Remember that at least a couple of high-end Frazettas mysteriously had their (perceived, ex ante, to be VERY HIGH) reserves tripped within 24 hours of the live bidding starting, strongly suggesting that some kind of guarantee was in place - would it be outrageous to suggest that, with the stakes so high here, the house preserved the option to exercise that guarantee by tripping the reserve in the live session? (shrug) 

I do not know who won the lot, but, people I've spoken to seem to agree that it was either HA/Halperin (or 3rd party guarantor on their behalf), or the Lucas Museum.  If that's the case, and, assuming that the museum wasn't a third party guarantor to the lot (which may or may not be a good assumption), given the sequence of bidding, did HA really coax a last second bid out of Lucas before the lot would have passed?  Or did they already have the bid from Lucas in hand and just play it up for the cameras there to create a little drama?  Or, did they just wait until they were sure no other bids coming before exercising their guarantee in good conscience?  I don't know the answer, and can think of at least a couple more possibilities on how the piece could have been de facto bought by HA/Jim while still technically adhering to what they said on the podcast, so, I guess we'll have to see if EQ turns up at the Lucas Museum or in another private collection before we can definitively rule them out of playing a role in the purchase, IMO. 2c 

55 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Todd Hignite stated that he believed everyone at HA puts in proxy bids. However, on a prior podcast, Jim Halperin explicitly discussed himself having made bids during live bidding. From the fact that Todd sounded unsure along with Jim's comments, I don't believe there is any rule in place at HA that mandates employees placing bids by proxy.