• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Nexus said:

That break was longer than I had planned, but we are finally back:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp

A double-episode! Thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped out with the roundtable. Hope you all enjoy!

Another very enjoyable podcast, even the 2nd half where you let them loose untethered. 

DO you have a link to Jason Kim's CAF Gallery? I couldn't find it.

If Jason is reading this there is a nice Alex Nino piece on HA in the February Signature Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alex-nino-creepy-112-the-last-sorcerer-double-width-splash-original-art-warren-publ-19/p/122006-28006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

28 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Amazing gallery. Impressive depth and variety  barely 2 years in, already refined tastes of a veteran collector. Jason seems comfortable knowing which pieces resonate with him and are worth going to the mat for. 

For sure. But the other observation that I had, is that here we are presented a collector with some means, who has exhibited a depth and breadth of taste and leanings somewhat beyond his 90s nostalgia zone and is clearly looking at the history of the medium and the artistic contributions of the creators both older and newer. 

And yet I don’t see any of the “founding fathers” works that are so often grandfathered in. No Kirby. No Romita Sr. No Ditko. 

Seems like the way back art that he looks to from “before his time” is that of the 80s. It is true that one man, is not an indicator of a future, but it is collectors like this I’d pay attention to, if I was sitting on a raft of older works. 

I mean, looking at the sums being bandied about, work by those elder statesmen of comics is attainable. But as of yet not represented yet.

I am overjoyed in hearing a newer collector speak about being willing to take that financial commitment beyond looking at art as investment, or a total nostalgia burst of dopamine, and really going for the work itself as the rush, even where the larger sums are involved.

Of course he is presumably just getting started. Looking forward to see how he continues to grow his collection, and where he is in 5 years time. 

On 2/2/2020 at 6:03 AM, ESeffinga said:

For sure. But the other observation that I had, is that here we are presented a collector with some means, who has exhibited a depth and breadth of taste and leanings somewhat beyond his 90s nostalgia zone and is clearly looking at the history of the medium and the artistic contributions of the creators both older and newer. 

And yet I don’t see any of the “founding fathers” works that are so often grandfathered in. No Kirby. No Romita Sr. No Ditko.

Excellent observation as usual, Eric. However, it appears to me that the reason for this is that Jason isn't primarily interested in superhero art. Which, of course, would be something else that sets him apart from most collectors in our hobby.

I got to hang out with Jason and fellow collector John Butler (a past guest of the podcast, as well) in SF last Thursday for a talk/signing with Dan Clowes. An excellent time with friends, but the best part may have been learning that Clowes has listened to the podcast! I suppose not a surprise that he might find nerdy obsessives fascinating. The event was the launch of his Artist's Edition from Fantagraphics. Which apparently was printed to order, so don't wait too long to get one. It's an A+ production, carefully curated by Clowes himself.

Working on setting up an upcoming episode with a millennial collector who's like Jason on steroids. Fingers crossed, our schedules will mesh so we can make it happen.

13 hours ago, Nexus said:

Excellent observation as usual, Eric. However, it appears to me that the reason for this is that Jason isn't primarily interested in superhero art. Which, of course, would be something else that sets him apart from most collectors in our hobby.

I thought about that. My impression was that what Jason has posted on CAF seemed like roughly 50/50ish between mainstream "name" characters, and more modern characters. But there are some real keystone type pieces for someone so new to the market. When I've seen folks hop in with both feet this way, I feel like they usually go for the "accepted" trophy pieces by the usual names. That usually involves the men in tights. It's fun to see someone eschew that, and go with their gut on things more personal to them, even when the costs are up there with that other stuff.

BUT there is definitely a streak towards the indy and outsider esoteric characters in Jason's collection. I really dig it. Refreshing to me, personally. It often takes a lot longer for collectors to dig into the offbeat work (from what I've seen generally).

And Jason, apologies if we sound like we are talking around/about you. I'm super glad you are here, and hope you chip in when you can. It can be hard to define for someone else why we like what we like. And when a collection isn't quite what everyone else is into, it can compound that awkward explanation. Not that it needs to be explained away of course. But it can be super enlightening to read (or hear on a podcast) someone else explain how they feel about their collection, and their methodologies/rationalizations/ and approach for adding to it.

The more that "different" collections enter the market, the more interesting I think it makes art collecting. It's less fun to me, when so many folks are into so many of the same things. And I'm always learning, and finding new things to appreciate. It never goes away.

Just listened to the podcast.. It was really nice to hear a fellow newbie (ish) talk about their journey. I just started the podcast a month or so ago and I was working from the 1st one forward so other then drooling over all the Dark Knight pages bought for a couple hundred by you veterans it was tough to relate. Coming into the hobby over the last couple years it can be overwhelming in so many ways... and also clickish with how long everyone has known each other. Showcasing a newer collector can help people feel comfortable jumping into the deep and so they know they are not the only person going for it!

Thank you to Felix and Jason!

New drinking game:  do a shot every time Daniel Warren Johnson laughs like Robert Carradine in "Revenge of the Nerds" on the podcast. lol 

giphy.gif

He was hilarious...he should be in every roundtable discussion!

Edited by delekkerste

6 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm honored that among the many pieces of your already impressive collection, you specify the Batman Hush piece Jim and I did as a current favorite.  I mentioned on your CAF comments section that it's actually a favorite of mine as well (especially since I'm a typical artist in that I see every flaw first and foremost in our own work).  Jim also mentioned to me that he thinks it's the best thing I've ever done over him so I take great pride in that.  Congrats on entering this rewarding hobby with such a bang, and condolences to your bank account.

Thank you Scott! I apologize for not mentioning you during the interview, and it's something that once it's over, one says "Doh! I forgot to say this or that." I adore the piece and I get lost appreciating your inking wizardry everytime I take it out. 

11 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

And Jason, apologies if we sound like we are talking around/about you. I'm super glad you are here, and hope you chip in when you can. It can be hard to define for someone else why we like what we like. And when a collection isn't quite what everyone else is into, it can compound that awkward explanation. Not that it needs to be explained away of course. But it can be super enlightening to read (or hear on a podcast) someone else explain how they feel about their collection, and their methodologies/rationalizations/ and approach for adding to it.

The more that "different" collections enter the market, the more interesting I think it makes art collecting. It's less fun to me, when so many folks are into so many of the same things. And I'm always learning, and finding new things to appreciate. It never goes away.

No apologies necessary! Helpful to see some outside observations of my tendencies and helps to get me thinking more about my collection, the individual pieces in it, and the personally meaning for each. Thanks!

For those who just can't get enough OA-related content, I host a chat on my site every so often. A lot of collectors whose names you might know will show up. And there can also be surprise appearances from my artists. Those who have participated before include Cliff Chiang, Daniel Warren Johnson, Ryan Stegman, Ian Bertram, and Andrew MacLean. Yesterday, Paul Pope popped in:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/chatdetail.asp?cId=21

Some fantastic back-and-forth between Paul and collectors would yield gems like this:

Italians understand LIGHT, and shadow. And I think there is a certain---insouciance-- to southern Euro cartoonists that I find magnetic. There is a theory about European artists that suggests the Northerners (Herge, etc) understand light and volume, because the light is diffused....the southerners understand contrast and line, because the light is strong...it applies to classical painters as well, it's an interesting theory. And I am very committed to keeping in the line of Caniff/Eisner/Pratt/Miller, so I want to find deeper understanding in the brush...

We also got an appearance from Albert Moy. A lot of fun, check it out. And join us for the next one!

And speaking of Albert...our first episode of SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART dropped last week for Paltown donors. Our first ever podcast guest was Albert, so fitting that he should be first for our exclusive series, too. He doesn't disappoint. If anyone is interested in having access to this special edition series (currently slated to be six episodes, maybe seven), write me! For now, thanks so much to donors. We have raised almost $25,000 for Paltown in a little over a week. More fun stuff on the way!

Edited by Nexus