• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2020 at 10:58 AM, Nexus said:

For those who just can't get enough OA-related content, I host a chat on my site every so often. A lot of collectors whose names you might know will show up. And there can also be surprise appearances from my artists. Those who have participated before include Cliff Chiang, Daniel Warren Johnson, Ryan Stegman, Ian Bertram, and Andrew MacLean. Yesterday, Paul Pope popped in:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/chatdetail.asp?cId=21

Some fantastic back-and-forth between Paul and collectors would yield gems like this:

Italians understand LIGHT, and shadow. And I think there is a certain---insouciance-- to southern Euro cartoonists that I find magnetic. There is a theory about European artists that suggests the Northerners (Herge, etc) understand light and volume, because the light is diffused....the southerners understand contrast and line, because the light is strong...it applies to classical painters as well, it's an interesting theory. And I am very committed to keeping in the line of Caniff/Eisner/Pratt/Miller, so I want to find deeper understanding in the brush...

We also got an appearance from Albert Moy. A lot of fun, check it out. And join us for the next one!

And speaking of Albert...our first episode of SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART dropped last week for Paltown donors. Our first ever podcast guest was Albert, so fitting that he should be first for our exclusive series, too. He doesn't disappoint. If anyone is interested in having access to this special edition series (currently slated to be six episodes, maybe seven), write me! For now, thanks so much to donors. We have raised almost $25,000 for Paltown in a little over a week. More fun stuff on the way!

Entertaining and informative podcast Felix. Got some cool insight on Tradd Moore and other neat info.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:58 AM, Nexus said:

And speaking of Albert...our first episode of SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART dropped last week for Paltown donors. Our first ever podcast guest was Albert, so fitting that he should be first for our exclusive series, too. He doesn't disappoint. If anyone is interested in having access to this special edition series (currently slated to be six episodes, maybe seven), write me! For now, thanks so much to donors. We have raised almost $25,000 for Paltown in a little over a week. More fun stuff on the way!

Just listened to the 2nd episode and for somebody a couple years into the hobby, these episodes were ridiculously informative and funny as hell! Support a great charity and listen to some great conversations on comic art. 

I just listened to the first two secret episodes and highly recommend them.  As Felix says, it's the kind of freewheeling conversation between a couple of long-time collectors at a bar after a show. Maximum combo of entertaining and informative.

18 hours ago, Nexus said:

Far from the most impressive piece in his impossible collection...but for him, his most important one. Find out why! Our chat with the reclusive super-collector known as the The Vacuum drops TODAY! Episode 3 of our exclusive SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART podcast!

SECRET STORIES is our fundraiser for the cancer charity Paltown.org. Thanks to our generous listeners, we have raised over $25K for this important patient/caregiver advocacy group. To donate, and to get access to the show, write me! Thx! www.felixcomicart.com

image.thumb.png.7830c0683a89f15a5f19cb50fa37ceea.png

link?

12 minutes ago, glendgold said:

It's great, too. Lots of great stories from.. just a guy named Joe.

a.k.a. 

Vacuum.jpg.b9d0e47b46d36f8e92d648a436572403.jpg

The story behind "The Vacuum" moniker was that, right around when Joe was first making a big splash in the deep end of the hobby pool, two collectors in the span of one week asked me if I had heard of this guy who was "vacuuming" (one might have said "hoovering") up all the best-of-the-best high-end art.  Two vacuum references in one week?  And so, the legend was born!

Hey everyone, a couple of notes:

1. Many collectors know The Vacuum privately, but he prefers to keep a low profile, publicly. Also, "The Vacuum" is more fun to say than his CAF handle "JL".

2. His CAF is representative of his taste, but is just a sliver of his overall collection.

3. SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART is an off-shoot of my regular podcast that's exclusive content for those who have donated to my cancer charity. For more information, write me.

4. My regular podcast, The Felix Comic Art Podcast, can be found here: http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp
Also, on iTunes. Check it out if you haven't already. If you like it, you'll *love* SECRET STORIES.

5. There are 3 episodes released of SECRET STORIES so far. Featuring arguably the 3 biggest collectors in the hobby: Albert, David Mandel, and The Vacuum. More episodes to come!

Thanks, talk soon!

We had a fun chat last night with supercollector David Mandel on my site...if you missed it, you can catch up with the transcript here!:

Thanks to Dave and everyone for joining, it was a blast! We’ll be doing this again soon with another guest, see you then!

Edited by Nexus

Comic Art Fans (CAF) is the hub for all things comic art and is, IMO, the single biggest reason for the hobby's explosion over the past 20 years. I've been a premium member of CAF from the day I joined as a new collector back in 2005. So I'm very happy to say that I will be participating in two panels TODAY (Saturday, November 14th) for this weekend's Comic Art LIVE event on CAF!

My first panel is at 1PM PST/4PM EST with our very own resident superstar, TRADD MOORE! You can view the panel on YouTube or Facebook. And even better, the panel will be interactive, so you can ask any questions you have about Tradd's career, his art, the smash success of SILVER SURFER: BLACK, his favorite shoes, whatever! This is Tradd's FIRST ever solo panel...you don't want to miss this! There just *might* be a surprise art reveal, too!

And if you still haven't had enough by then, I follow up with my second panel at 2PM PST/5PM EST with CAF bossman BILL COX! Bill thinks this is going to be a chat about the state of the hobby/market, what the future may hold for comic art, blah, blah, blah...well, I've got other plans! Mainly, praise Bill for all the great work he's done over the years for our favorite art form! So if you want to see this shameless display, check us out on YouTube or Facebook! Who knows, maybe we'll talk about that other stuff, too. And again, we're open to all your questions!

Have a great show this weekend, everyone, and see you at the panels!

Felix

EmvKrl9VoAEwuJu?format=jpg&name=medium

EmvMs_qUcAA_SH7?format=jpg&name=medium

I really enjoyed both parts of the chat today.  My impression has always been that Tradd keeps a low profile (reinforced by that half of the stream), so it was great to get a chance to hear you two discussing his career.  And the second half with you and Bill was equally fun to listen to.  

Plus, after seeing your avatar pic here for so long, I spent the entire time thinking "wow, Felix looks much younger than I've been picturing him"!  (:

Happy Holidays everyone from the Felix Comic Art Podcast. We’ve got a surprise for you: It’s the very first episode of our premium edition show, which we call SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART.

SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART is our fundraiser for The Lu Family Fund and has been available as exclusive content for donors. In partnership with Paltown.org, The Lu Family Fund provides direct financial assistance to cancer patients to help them receive specialized care. Our goal is to improve survivorship and help redefine standard of care treatment.

I’ll have more to share later, but for now, I want to express my gratitude to all our friends and listeners who have donated to our charity. In just a few short months, The Lu Family Fund has become far and away the largest single contributor to Paltown’s overall mission. Our first episode of SECRET STORIES OF COMIC ART features our most popular guest ever, Albert Moy. If you enjoy our show, please consider making a tax-deductible donation on our page at Paltown.org. Any amount is greatly appreciated. And if you’re interested in hearing the rest of this series, write me for more details. Thanks everyone. And now…the return of Albert Moy. Like you’ve never heard him before.

(Please note: This episode will only be up for a limited time, per our agreement with Albert.)

18 minutes ago, Nexus said:

For the Tradd fans, we just did a chat with him on our site:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/chatdetail.asp?cId=29

Fans asked questions and Tradd gave his usual thoughtful answers. And perhaps even better, we share some never-before-seen original art! It was a blast. Enjoy the transcript/art!

Loved the chat Felix! Thanks for hosting!

Following that chat with Tradd, his auction piece for our charity (The Lu Family Fund) sold for a record for us: $19,500! Truly remarkable for an unpublished piece. We are very grateful to everyone who bid (most especially the winner, of course!). And thanks most of all to Tradd, who went above and beyond in delivering a stunning piece for us.

In all, we raised $80,611 from the art auctions for our charity. Here are the top 5 results (click link to view art):

1. Tradd Moore SPIDER-MAN/MS. MARVEL $19,500
2. Nick Dragotta BATMAN: BLACK AND WHITE $12,500
3. James Jean PORTAL INTERIOR $11,000
4. Yuko Shimizu SANSHO THE BAILIFF $6,500
5. (tie) Ian Bertram LITTLE BIRD $3,200 / Katsuhiro Otomo AKIRA $3,200

Our gratitude to all the artists and everyone who participated. Thank you!