• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

Whatever Chris. I expect you to take my word for it, not everybody around here should, but you and the others that know me (or know me well enough, anyway), yes I'd hope you would.

You are correct - I have no interest in turning $15k into $25k in one year, in general. That is not going to work for me. I'd be very uncomfortable being that concentrated, if nothing else. But x150 $100 items into $200 sales (and realistically more, more frequently -double/1yr is just a gut benchmark), yes all day long please, especially as I'd be quite diversified and that's how you always have something for everybody (and god knows the base of the pyramid is much broader than the top 10%!) and keep the churn going and keep your liquidity up. That one item at $15k...you are waiting for that one right buyer to step up. And if he doesn't..? The bills come in every month whether you've made any sales or not. Get me?

$15k into $25k for somebody that doesn't have better opportunities (ideas)...it's a great return vs. everything else most people think of...stocks, bonds, etc. I just beat that, all the time, that's all. It's a snore (for me).

Lots of people look at the size of the pool we're swimming in and think (justifiably) that it's going to be far more difficult to profit $10,000 by doubling $100 pieces to $200...or even $500 pieces to $1000, that it is by taking a lesser percentage profit on a larger investment they only have to perfect once.

Just re-read this, what pool are you swimming in, I think not the same one I'm in. What I'm up to, it's not happening in comics or comic art.

Whatever Chris. I expect you to take my word for it, not everybody around here should, but you and the others that know me (or know me well enough, anyway), yes I'd hope you would.

You are correct - I have no interest in turning $15k into $25k in one year, in general. That is not going to work for me. I'd be very uncomfortable being that concentrated, if nothing else. But x150 $100 items into $200 sales (and realistically more, more frequently -double/1yr is just a gut benchmark), yes all day long please, especially as I'd be quite diversified and that's how you always have something for everybody (and god knows the base of the pyramid is much broader than the top 10%!) and keep the churn going and keep your liquidity up. That one item at $15k...you are waiting for that one right buyer to step up. And if he doesn't..? The bills come in every month whether you've made any sales or not. Get me?

$15k into $25k for somebody that doesn't have better opportunities (ideas)...it's a great return vs. everything else most people think of...stocks, bonds, etc. I just beat that, all the time, that's all. It's a snore (for me).

But, for me, there's the value of my time that goes into acquiring 150 items, finding 150 buyers and completing 150 sales to make the same amount from a single sale. That's a lot of work to make the same $10k...especially in the pool within which we swim on OA.

Glad it works for you. The model works much better when the money invested isn't the same money used to pay monthly bills. It allows for less pressured and more relaxed analysis outside of the "how fast can I get out?"

I've done it on the low end and the high end and lots of ways in between. Dealing with 150 people on 150 items and 150 transactions with 150 shipments and 150 packages doesn't feel as luxurious as doing it once.

Lots of people look at the size of the pool we're swimming in and think (justifiably) that it's going to be far more difficult to profit $10,000 by doubling $100 pieces to $200...or even $500 pieces to $1000, that it is by taking a lesser percentage profit on a larger investment they only have to perfect once.

Just re-read this, what pool are you swimming in, I think not the same one I'm in. What I'm up to, it's not happening in comics or comic art.

Well, if you're going to apply your analysis to comics and comic art, the size of your potential customer pool should be a primary concern.

And you were applying it here.

I've done it on the low end and the high end and lots of ways in between. Dealing with 150 people on 150 items and 150 transactions with 150 shipments and 150 packages doesn't feel as luxurious as doing it once.

Of course, different things will work different ways for different people. In my case...I don't ever come home from a day job that's really sucked it out of me...as you've occasionally complained right here on these boards. And if you love art...my whole LIFE is art, it's not a hobby. And I couldn't be happier. The dumb Visa commercial...quality of life is priceless. I do it all the same again for half, the other half is gravy.

Of course, different things will work different ways for different people. In my case...I don't ever come home from a day job that's really sucked it out of me...as you've occasionally complained right here on these boards. And if you love art...my whole LIFE is art, it's not a hobby. And I couldn't be happier. The dumb Visa commercial...quality of life is priceless. I do it all the same again for half, the other half is gravy.

As long as you enjoy it, then it makes perfect sense.

I spent all that time in my teens and twenties as a comic dealer that any chance I have to short circuit having to make 100 transactions to just do it once, I'll take it. lol

Well, if you're going to apply your analysis to comics and comic art, the size of your potential customer pool should be a primary concern.

I wasn't, except to answer Felix's question of whether I considered comic art to have a good (or whatever) ROI go-fo. I do not, respective to my other opportunities. I know my customer pool, obviously as I've been making this work for a long time, and it's not this pool...and I'm not trying to convert anybody. Or even sell them tapes!

Hammer away Chris, but I do wonder what bee is in your bonnet re: me?

Still??

???

You could just take my word for it. (And maybe even be happy for me?!)

I wasn't, except to answer Felix's question of whether I considered comic art to have a good (or whatever) ROI go-fo. I do not, respective to my other opportunities. I know my customer pool, obviously as I've been making this work for a long time, and it's not this pool...and I'm not trying to convert anybody. Or even sell them tapes!

Still??

???

I was commenting because we're in a comic art thread, on a comic book forum, discussing our hobbies. I think the assumption is you were applying your very specific investing parameters to this hobby (given the thread, the location, and the discussion).

Not everyone that disagrees with the application of an idea or strategy is "hammering" or has a "bee in their bonnet". Sometimes they just disagree, and have their own experience, knowledge and footing in the subject matter. That's all.

I can take your word for it that it works for you, in your arena, but I won't agree that it works here or is preferable here, in this hobby (given the thread, and the discussion).

That's all. Don't assume people are "hammering" on you, when it might just be your strategy, which you admit is to applied elsewhere and not in comic art, that they are disagreeing with.

I spent all that time in my teens and twenties as a comic dealer that any chance I have to short circuit having to make 100 transactions to just do it once, I'll take it. lol

I hear you. I think if my experience was the same as yours I'd feel the same way. But when you're doing what you love...(and I do)...it's not really even work at all. I'm more like 500-800 transactions a year, and I'd like to double that. Not for the money (I'm fine) but for the "fun". But sure...it's definitely not for everybody*, and it's definitely got it's limits as to scalability. (So no Gene - you cannot drop $500k in and go to sleep for ten years, doubling it every year!)

*By definition if everybody is doing it...it's all priced in...there's no 'growth' left to steal from the next sucke...errr guy ;)

Still??

???

I was commenting because we're in a comic art thread, on a comic book forum, discussing our hobbies. I think the assumption is you were applying your very specific investing parameters to this hobby (given the thread, the location, and the discussion).

Not everyone that disagrees with the application of an idea or strategy is "hammering" or has a "bee in their bonnet". Sometimes they just disagree, and have their own experience, knowledge and footing in the subject matter. That's all.

I can take your word for it that it works for you, in your arena, but I won't agree that it works here or is preferable here, in this hobby (given the thread, and the discussion).

That's all. Don't assume people are "hammering" on you, when it might just be your strategy, which you admit is to applied elsewhere and not in comic art, that they are disagreeing with.

You made a poor assumption then. And who ever said (my) "it" would work in comics/comic art? Another poor assumption if you did, or thought I was suggesting that. Everything you needed was right there in my first post you quoted (below). The (seemingly) endless back and forth..sure it feels like hammering over here. Probably because I haven't added anything new, just keep repeating myself.

Now...since this particular podcast was looking at the hobby from a financial angle...do I believe this MAN-THING cover will prove to be a good "investment" in the long run? No, I do not.

Good "investment" is highly subjective. (One man's present bank-cd-crushing double in 10 yrs is another's utter failure to beat his micro cap managing peers!)

So, in your opinion, will vintage Man-Thing, Swamp Thing, and the like bought at today's prices end up as good investments? If we are only considering ROI?

(Just so people don't accuse of my of picking on art I don't own, I collect Swamp Thing!)

No. If I'm not doubling my money annualized, terrible investment (as that is my opportunity cost). Answered that one before you even asked ;)

The stuff I flip (not comic art, that's a dead asset class - all keepers - at today's prices in my book)...a double less frequently than annually is a loser.

And I collect Swamp Thing too, as a luxury good.

If it works for you-- and you're happy-- why do you care so much what others think? You appear to be working harder trying to convince people here than you do doubling your money every 12 months.

Just prop your feet up and count your dough. Like Gene.

Great stuff here Felix and Gene. It's good to hear it from a money perspective since as the numbers keep growing on these pieces so does ones hope that it will at least maintain it's value. I also agree with Gene to a degree that there will at some point be a drop as our generation moves on but I believe the the cream of the crop items will hold their value. I don't see a Dark Knight page plummeting even after we are gone since this is one of those books of importance for a lot of reasons. That's a whole nother discussion, but I do think there is even more to this discussion when you and Gene meet again later. Looking forward to it.

Glad to be back on topic. Another great podcast! Major kudos to Felix for the idea and then bringing it to life. I have always kept my purchases to what I love and consider the money I spend as what I think it is worth to me in terms of the personal enjoyment and satisfaction of owning the art. Even so, my purchase price point has risen over the last couple years so the thought of valuation (present/future) has started to creep in more and I see a tipping point coming where I will nestle into a spending category going forward. As such, I don’t really dive into the bear/bull market discussions as I don’t really care that much but I still found the discussion in the podcast very interesting in terms of collectors aging out, where will the new collectors come from, etc. as it pertains more to the state of the hobby going forward which is very interesting. I loved the round table discussion point about how the hobby really grabs you and won’t let go – I could relate very much so with that sentiment. The comments about the daily grip it gets on you is so true … I am sure that is much to do with the digital age as much as anything else. If you are plugged in, it’s hard not to engage in the hobby on a daily basis. Good stuff, looking forward to next month’s episode.

Another great podcast.

If there is one thing I'd ask for it would be more conversations about specific "private" deals and dollar amounts. I was glad to get one (The DK page) in the Gene Park podcast, but I'll be honest: I want more more more*

*though I do understand why many have an aversion to those types of details

This month, I stay local and talk to fellow Bay Area resident, Erik Larsen. Erik is, of course, best known as the artist/creator of the long-running series SAVAGE DRAGON, as well as being one of the founding members of Image Comics. But he's also a dedicated original comic art collector. Hear his thoughts on collecting for aesthetics vs. nostalgia, the art of Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld, how he acquired his Holy Grail, and much more!

Joining me as co-host for the second half is fellow Kirby obsessive (and mutual friend), Glen Gold.

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

And our show-and-tell video returns this month on YouTube! Check out Erik's entry and subscribe to our channel for more original comic art videos!

Please visit our website at www.felixcomicart.com for the best in modern comic art. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Please leave a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks, and enjoy the show!