• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

Another fun and informative podcast. Really liked hearing from Jim Reid he is someone I always see at conventions and love to see what he what he has picked up. Would have loved to hear more from Jim and Kelvin.

Thanks, Brian! I'll get Jim and Kelvin on again. I appreciate both their perspectives on collecting, and want to hear more myself!

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Great podcast!  Loved every minute.  I HAVE to hear that Albert Moy recording unedited by the way!hm

It won't be anything special to you...I'm sure you've experienced it in person before.

Maybe we can talk Albert into doing a live rendition of it at a show. You'll just have to pick up the bar tab.:devil:

Another great podcast. I listen to these podcasts and haven’t met most of the people that are interviewed but I realize I have probably been standing shoulder to shoulder with many of them at cons, etc. and would never know it (including you Felix before my son and I met you at Heroes last year). I think it would be a cool idea to take a snapshot of the crew being interviewed as part of the published podcast as a way to put a face(s) with the name (collection).

Great podcast.   Really enjoyed listening to Jim Reid, and I'll echo Jim's appreciation of Paul Bonner.    I hadn't heard of him but a collector friend in Sweden is really into Mutant Chronicles and Paul did all of that work in the early 90s and it is this really terrific mix of realism and exaggeration.

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns for April 2017 with a double-sized episode!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

First we meet up with long-time comic art collector and dealer, Glenn Danzig. Yes, THAT Glenn Danzig. Our talk with Glenn runs the gamut, from vintage art to new art, the effect of investors on our hobby, as well as his advice for collectors on how to participate in a hobby where values have skyrocketed. Many thanks to Glenn for making a rare podcast appearance!

Thanks to Glenn as well for doing a show-and-tell video, which you can see on our YouTube channel:

Part two of this episode is a Q&A with two collectors, Jake Pickthall and Jimmy Lawrence. I answer their questions about the hobby and being a rep. Don't care? Then skip this! Enjoy it? Then let me know, especially if you want to participate next time!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Sign up for the mailing list on our site at www.felixcomicart.com. We've got lots of great new art coming up this month, and the mailing list always gets the heads-up! Thanks, and enjoy the show!

Edited by Nexus

33 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns for April 2017 with a double-sized episode!:

First we meet up with long-time comic art collector and dealer, Glenn Danzig. Yes, THAT Glenn Danzig. Our talk with Glenn runs the gamut, from vintage art to new art, the effect of investors on our hobby, as well as his advice for collectors on how to participate in a hobby where values have skyrocketed. Many thanks to Glenn for making a rare podcast appearance!

Thanks to Glenn as well for doing a show-and-tell video, which you can see on our YouTube channel:

Part two of this episode is a Q&A with two collectors, Jake Pickthall and Jimmy Lawrence. I answer their questions about the hobby and being a rep. Don't care? Then skip this! Enjoy it? Then let me know, especially if you want to participate next time!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Sign up for the mailing list on our site at www.felixcomicart.com. We've got lots of great new art coming up this month, and the mailing list always gets the heads-up! Thanks, and enjoy the show!

Good lord, those Frazetta pieces :x

Great stuff as always.

Edited by SquareChaos
Typo

So the attached pic is of a seller who was set up at SDCC 1987. He had the mother lode of prime '80s Miller art, including Frank's share of DKR. That's where those pages got dispersed. And then he disappeared. Collectors have been looking for him ever since, to no avail. Was he even alive?

Today, he contacted me. He listens to the podcast! So at least this much of a 30 year old mystery has been answered.

I'm e-mailing with him right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to get him on a future show.

BennoRothschild1987SDCCwatermarkB.jpg

I've known Scott for years and I told him he had been mentioned by Scott Williams in that recent podcast.  Scott has told me for years he was Miller's art rep, but seeing that picture.... holy mother of god...!

Stupid itunes :pullhair:

Tried for over an hour to leave feedback for Felix' podcast and couldn't. First I thought because I was on my phone, so I tried on a PC and then a Mac. Again no go. I also found it strange that the podcast showed no stars or reviews and mentioned that there hadn't been enough comments to warrant a rating. WTF ?

And then I found out why... for some stupid reason your itunes account is tied to your country, so if someone from say Mexico downloads/listens to the podcast he won't see any reviews except the ones that were previously made by other people in Mexico.

If he leaves a review, only other people from Mexico will be able to see it.

There is a way around it, I logged out of my Belgian itunes store, and accessed the US store (click on the little flag underneath itunes store on a computer) and was able to read all the reviews. But when I wanted to leave a review I was told I had to log back in and then I was transported out of the US store and into the Belgian store where again there were no reviews aaaaaaaaargh !!!

So I decided I'm going to put my review here, otherwise Felix nor anybody else will ever get to read it and I think this excellent podcast deserves all the praise it can get.

I'm a bit late to the game but when I finally tried out this podcast I listened to 5 episodes in a row. 
Enjoyed it tremendously, even though I'm quite familiar with the material I'm learning a lot of stuff and it has made me eager to get back in the saddle after losing interest in the hobby for a while. 

I also like the way Felix is handling the subject matter, none of the old boys club, "nod, shake and a secret wink stuff", but honest and frank conversations about finding stuff and real world valuations without the hype. 

May you never run out of interesting topics and angles for this podcast. 

Felix mentioned on the podcast that those who write reviews for the podcast will get access to the uncensored and as-yet-unbroadcast Albert Moy interview.  Just curious how that's going to work; I left a review, but I'm identified by an old screen name I created and forgot about years ago.  I see that a lot of other reviews are written by those not easily identifiable from their usernames as well. hm 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Felix mentioned on the podcast that those who write reviews for the podcast will get access to the uncensored and as-yet-unbroadcast Albert Moy interview.  Just curious how that's going to work; I left a review, but I'm identified by an old screen name I created and forgot about years ago.  I see that a lot of other reviews are written by those not easily identifiable from their usernames as well. hm 

Good question.  I used the same screen name on the iTunes site as I use here--stinkininkin--so I figured Felix would make that connection.  Right Felix?  I said nice things publicly on iTunes so I would have access to your secret art Cabal podcast!  Don't make me regret saying nice things.  I hate saying nice things.

:jokealert:

Scott

48 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Good question.  I used the same screen name on the iTunes site as I use here--stinkininkin--so I figured Felix would make that connection.  Right Felix?  I said nice things publicly on iTunes so I would have access to your secret art Cabal podcast!  Don't make me regret saying nice things.  I hate saying nice things.

:jokealert:

Scott

Really looking forward to listening to Moys "uncesored" interview.  Its like the relase of the Watergate Tapes :cool:

Thanks guys! The show has really taken a leap in listeners. March was a record month for us, nearly doubling our previous high. The new April episode has now beaten March, in SIX DAYS. The show is getting around, I'm hearing from all sorts of underground collectors. i just got sent something very cool that I will be sharing next month.

For those who have left iTunes reviews, shoot me an e-mail with your iTunes handle. You'll be added to the show VIP list;) Chromium, I didn't know that about non-US iTunes, so please shoot me an e-mail as well (and thanks for trying!).

But just want to be clear: Albert's secret episode will be edited. There's no way it can't be. But you'll have to trust me, it's still a lot of fun. We're working on it alongside our new episode, and will let all reviewers know when it's ready. It will then be up for 24 hours for reviewers only. So please shoot me that e-mail ASAP!

The Felix Comic Art Podcast presents the ultimate episode for THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS original art fans with our special guest, Scott Free!

Who is Scott Free? Scott was Frank Miller's art rep during THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and it was through Scott that so much of the best DKR art was sold (including the DKR #2 cover). Then it all ended abruptly, and Scott's been off the radar for the past 30 years. DKR art fans have been looking for him ever since. What happened? Why did Frank Miller stop selling his art? Also, why did Frank take over inking from Klaus Janson? Listen and find out!

Check out our social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) to see some vintage pics of Scott and the incredible DKR art he sold. Stay on top of everything we do by signing up for our newsletter at www.felixcomicart.com. We've got tons of new art lined up for the site, including the latest batch from James Jean! Thanks and enjoy the show!

BennoRothschild1987SDCCwatermarkB.jpg

DKRSDCC1987A2.jpg

DKRSDCC1987B2.jpg

Edited by Nexus

Fascinating interview Felix!

I wonder if the EMT Nurse that Scott references, who bought art from Scott that Miller wanted back and agreed to return it, was Mike Burkey?

Edited by dem1138