• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns for July 2017 with a double-sized episode from Chicago!:

Part one features comics creator DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON! Daniel's new Image book EXTREMITY is on the stands, check it out! Daniel is also a comic art collector, who has been operating on a strict budget. And yet he's still managed to put together a collection he loves. It's a great perspective on the hobby. Thanks Daniel!

Part two is our C2E2 roundtable featuring the three-headed collecting beast of Chicago: Chris Caira, Chris Killackey, and Ron Sonenthal. Our roundtable episodes have proven to be very popular, and for those who enjoy them, this one won't disappoint. Commissions, new art, vintage art, collecting advice...we cover quite a bit!

We also add TWO art show-and-tell videos, from Daniel and Ron, to our YouTube channel:

Check our website at www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for the mailing list. We just held a giant sale. Didn't know about it? That's because you aren't on the list! Join the mailing list for more exclusive offers! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy this extra-long episode!

Eee Gads!!! The podcast is up. Hopefully those schmoes from Chicago didn't ruin this episode. :wishluck:

13 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Eee Gads!!! The podcast is up. Hopefully those schmoes from Chicago didn't ruin this episode. :wishluck:

I'll save it for later tonight, it'll help me fall asleep :baiting:

Another enjoyable podcast, the longer the better. I agree with the Chris' and Ron, CAF has had a huge effect on OA collecting. Made it easier to find art you are looking for but also great to see what others collected. Before CAF was the Lowry where you could only post 5 pieces, Which limited your exposure to artwork, kept people more in their own collecting bubble and many private collectors never posted in the Lowry. CAF opened it up for many collectors and artists alike. All of us started out as newbie collectors at some point and we all were helped by someone to show us the ropes. Always good to give back and help the next wave of OA addicts.. um I mean collectors.

The Bolland Trophy Wall, one of the best commissions I have ever seen. When I do commissions I try not to give too much direction and leave it open and let the artists imagination run wild. The Trophy theme has so many different permutations. I always looked forward to seeing what new Trophy piece Chris posts, I have missed them lately. When I got my commission from Eduardo Barreto back in 2008-2009, Chris and I had been emailing back and forth. Chris had also commissioned Eduardo for a Hugo Strange trophy piece, but it was taking Eduard a while to get to it because he was suffering from meningitis. Chris did get some prelims in 2010 and showed me (bloody amazing) and he got the commission not long after. Its one of my favorite Trophy pieces, Barreto knocked it out of the park. Great lighting!

Hugo%20Strange%20Final.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Another enjoyable podcast, the longer the better. I agree with the Chris' and Ron, CAF has had a huge effect on OA collecting. Made it easier to find art you are looking for but also great to see what others collected. Before CAF was the Lowry where you could only post 5 pieces, Which limited your exposure to artwork, kept people more in their own collecting bubble and many private collectors never posted in the Lowry. CAF opened it up for many collectors and artists alike. All of us started out as newbie collectors at some point and we all were helped by someone to show us the ropes. Always good to give back and help the next wave of OA addicts.. um I mean collectors.

The Bolland Trophy Wall, one of the best commissions I have ever seen. When I do commissions I try not to give too much direction and leave it open and let the artists imagination run wild. The Trophy theme has so many different permutations. I always looked forward to seeing what new Trophy piece Chris posts, I have missed them lately. When I got my commission from Eduardo Barreto back in 2008-2009, Chris and I had been emailing back and forth. Chris had also commissioned Eduardo for a Hugo Strange trophy piece, but it was taking Eduard a while to get to it because he was suffering from meningitis. Chris did get some prelims in 2010 and showed me (bloody amazing) and he got the commission not long after. Its one of my favorite Trophy pieces, Barreto knocked it out of the park. Great lighting!

Hugo%20Strange%20Final.jpg

Thanks Brian!

I wouldn't have that Barreto piece if not for you. So thank you for the help and guidance. 

I've missed posting my trophy walls too. Frankly, I hit most of the guys I wanted to get in the first 10-11 years of doing that theme. Then there are the guys I am waiting on to get the time to do one. Then there are the guys who don't want to do one that I am trying to convince. Lots of guys I would love to get but their commission lists are long already. Finally, what's left are the guys I DON'T want one from. 

I just didn't want to "phone it in" and get pieces done just to get pieces done. I wanted each one to be a stand alone, cover quality, piece that works whether or not it was part of this theme. If inspiration strikes and it makes sense I'm still up for it. 

I do have a few commissions sitting here that I haven't had time to post lately and I just set up a higher end painted trophy wall piece that will be done at the beginning of September, but I don't want to jinx myself. When that one comes in I will make sure to post it. 

I was just at a convention and the guy who owes me a trophy wall from 10 years ago was there, set up, and he flagged me down...was super apologetic and promised it get the piece done soon....right before he asked me for more money (in the form of buying his prints). lol 

Felix has a large roster of guys I'd love to work with on this theme. I've just gotten very picky to make sure I get the right artist, working on the right characters. 

1 hour ago, eewwnuk said:

DWJ sounds like a nice humble dude.  Good first portion of the podcast. 

He comes across like that in person as well from my experiences speaking with him at Heroes last month. Seems like a very genuinely humble guy. The comix4fun guy, well ... 

42 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

He comes across like that in person as well from my experiences speaking with him at Heroes last month. Seems like a very genuinely humble guy. The comix4fun guy, well ... 

All four (ex-Felix) nice guys, enjoyable interviews. Felix is okay too. I guess ;)

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

I'm not quite done with listening to the DWJ portion, but for us outsiders, is @comix4fun one of the Chrises on the roundtable?

Just now, Jay Olie Espy said:

I'm not quite done with listening to the DWJ portion, but for us outsiders, is @comix4fun one of the Chrises on the roundtable?

Yes,

That's me. They mention my screen name here a couple of times in the interview. 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Doesn't everyone roll through a convention like me?

hgh6.gif

3 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

See, here it was, I always figured you rolled through a convention like this:

nsWhxsE - Imgur.gif

Depends on whether it's an East Coast or West Coast show. 

Awesome jobs guys, didn't know ron or chris k were from Chicago.  Chris do you guys do any meet up with other collectors in the area,  i know there's one during WWC which i haven't attend before but if there is please let me know.

Thanks

Octavio

Edited by OD
spelling correction