• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2017 at 7:39 AM, Hekla said:

I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread, but a couple of Arizona comic artists, Scott Godlewski and Ryan Cody, have a podcast where they discuss comics and beer. This latest episode they talk about how they, as struggling artists, collect comic art and feelings about selling their artwork and doing commissions.

Coincidentally (or not?), this particular episode was sponsored by Felix.

The Illustrious Gentlemen (also on iTunes)

https://tigshow.com/

Not sponsored by me! They just mentioned that they got inspired to talk about original art after listening to my podcast.

I listened to it on my drive back from Portland last week. More a frank discussion about the economic realities of being a comic book artist, than one about original art. But still worth a listen for that.

52 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Not sponsored by me! They just mentioned that they got inspired to talk about original art after listening to my podcast.

I listened to it on my drive back from Portland last week. More a frank discussion about the economic realities of being a comic book artist, than one about original art. But still worth a listen for that.

Ah - I think I was barely listening as they were doing the intros when they typically name their sponsor and my ears perked up when I heard your name.

I do have a suggestion for a future Podcast for Felix. If he's in the Columbus area for a convention or other business, he may want to arrange a talk and tour of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum at Ohio State University, to look at and discuss their quite impressive Original Comic book art collection with the curator. (link to the homepage).

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I do have a suggestion for a future Podcast for Felix. If he's in the Columbus area for a convention or other business, he may want to arrange a talk and tour of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum at Ohio State University, to look at and discuss their quite impressive Original Comic book art collection with the curator. (link to the homepage).

Same thing for Andrew at Cartoon Art Musceum which will be reopening next month.

Enjoyed the last episode. The topic of what kind of art will retain its value when its nostalgia generation dies out was interesting. I tend to agree with Felix that it will be more based on the artist/creator than the character or title. As a relatively young reader/collector, I couldn't tell you much about the books Crumb, Moebius, and Eisner worked on, but I can recognize their art at a glance. Personally, I'd rather have a nice piece by an influential creator like Jack Kirby of obscure characters than a really great Batman or Spider-Man by a relatively obscure artist. You could also say that it's a rarer commodity, as great pieces of major Marvel/DC characters are continuously being produced whereas any given creator is only going to produce so many works. In other words, the # of Kirby pages is limited, whereas the # of Batman/Spider-Man/X-Men pages is always growing. It keeps those characters relevant, but it also saturates the market with art featuring them.

Also enjoyed the brief discussion of digital art and how it's influencing the original art market. I have to say that the idea of a digital commission is repugnant to me, but on the other hand what do you do if one of your favorite creators doesn't actually create physical pages? Southern Bastards is one of my favorite current series, but as far as I know Jason Latour doesn't actually create any complete physical pages. From what I gather he'll do con/signing sketches sometimes, but that's about your only chance to get original Southern Bastards art. Another good example is Greg Smallwood's Moon Knight art. I like that stuff, but I think the majority of it is digitally composed or at least a hybrid of physical/digital components, so there don't seem to be many pages out there. I think these situations actually give the creators a lot of leverage, as their original art is so scarce that they could hypothetically charge a premium (though they would lose out on sheer volume).

5 hours ago, npasto said:

Personally, I'd rather have a nice piece by an influential creator like Jack Kirby of obscure characters than a really great Batman or Spider-Man by a relatively obscure artist. You could also say that it's a rarer commodity, as great pieces of major Marvel/DC characters are continuously being produced whereas any given creator is only going to produce so many works. In other words, the # of Kirby pages is limited, whereas the # of Batman/Spider-Man/X-Men pages is always growing. It keeps those characters relevant, but it also saturates the market with art featuring them.

Excellent point.

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns from NYCC with a brand new show for October 2017! Better late than never!

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

We recorded multiple shows in New York and we're excited to lead off with multi-Eisner Award winning artist, Cliff Chiang! Want to hear Cliff share his thoughts about his career, his art, his adventures with fellow comics superstars like Brian K. Vaughan? Well, too bad! You'll find none of that here! We only care about original comic art, and that's all Cliff wanted to talk about anyway! It was a lot of fun chatting with Cliff (one of the smartest guys in comics!) and I hope you enjoy it, too.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Sign up for our mailing list at felixcomicart.com. Support the show by leaving a rating/review on iTunes. We reward those who do both. Thanks and enjoy the show!

On 10/16/2017 at 9:19 AM, Nexus said:

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns from NYCC with a brand new show for October 2017! Better late than never!

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

We recorded multiple shows in New York and we're excited to lead off with multi-Eisner Award winning artist, Cliff Chiang! Want to hear Cliff share his thoughts about his career, his art, his adventures with fellow comics superstars like Brian K. Vaughan? Well, too bad! You'll find none of that here! We only care about original comic art, and that's all Cliff wanted to talk about anyway! It was a lot of fun chatting with Cliff (one of the smartest guys in comics!) and I hope you enjoy it, too.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Sign up for our mailing list at felixcomicart.com. Support the show by leaving a rating/review on iTunes. We reward those who do both. Thanks and enjoy the show!

lol

:headbang:

Felix,

Your podcasts cover broad points of view, while many are from new and seasoned collectors. Ones from the artists I think are the most interesting like Cliff Chang's. I have been collecting for over 30 years and came into it from being a younger comic book reader. Hearing from the one's who create what we collect/consume does make to you. Many artists don't have the nostalgia mind set but look at  it more from a creative point of view. Maybe in the future we can hear from an artist from the silver or bronze age. Bet there are some who are also collectors.

19 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

Is the file size to this one massive? Ive tried cleaning out several things but cant get this one to load :makepoint:

Should be about the same as the others, so don't know why you're having this issue. Anyone else?

12 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

Your podcasts cover broad points of view, while many are from new and seasoned collectors. Ones from the artists I think are the most interesting like Cliff Chang's. I have been collecting for over 30 years and came into it from being a younger comic book reader. Hearing from the one's who create what we collect/consume does make to you. Many artists don't have the nostalgia mind set but look at  it more from a creative point of view. Maybe in the future we can hear from an artist from the silver or bronze age. Bet there are some who are also collectors.

I actually do hope to get another creator on in 2018 who has been in the biz for 40 years AND is a collector. And who still buys new art! Fingers crossed, we can make it happen!

For those who love any and all comic art talk, I was just on the 11 O'Clock Comics Podcast for their milestone 500th episode:

http://11oclockcomics.com/

A SIX hour episode! I'm at the beginning, with Skottie Young, and it's pretty much all comic art talk.

The EOC guys also talk comic art biz in the previous episode, #499. That one's only three hours:P

Your NYCC 2017 experience continues with the November episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast!

It's a two-parter this month, leading off with returning guest, Dan Pottick. You'll remember Dan from last year's NYCC roundtable, and by popular demand, he's back for his encore. Our second segment sees the return of our audience call-in feature, this time with collector Matt Todd. Matt has a lot of questions and comments about the show and the hobby. New collectors, especially, will want to tune in.

http://www.felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Our latest video has also just been added to our YouTube channel, featuring Daniel Warren Johnson! Check it out!

Sign up for our mailing list at felixcomicart.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Support the show by leaving a rating/review on iTunes. We reward those who do both. Thanks and enjoy the show!

Another entertaining podcast some old and and new. Not sure how the 2nd half with Matt Todd was recorded but the technical issues with his audio getting distorted was distracting. Made it hard to understand in some parts. Still enjoyed a fresh point of view.

16 hours ago, Nexus said:

Your NYCC 2017 experience continues with the November episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast!

It's a two-parter this month, leading off with returning guest, Dan Pottick. You'll remember Dan from last year's NYCC roundtable, and by popular demand, he's back for his encore. Our second segment sees the return of our audience call-in feature, this time with collector Matt Todd. Matt has a lot of questions and comments about the show and the hobby. New collectors, especially, will want to tune in.

http://www.felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Our latest video has also just been added to our YouTube channel, featuring Daniel Warren Johnson! Check it out!

Sign up for our mailing list at felixcomicart.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Support the show by leaving a rating/review on iTunes. We reward those who do both. Thanks and enjoy the show!

Felix i am having problems downloading the episode, its coming up as not found ?

Just now, Nexus said:

Sorry! We were trying to improve the audio quality in the Q&A (as Brian noted). Sounds a little better now.

Didn't mean for it to affect downloads, but should work now. Please try again!

So for those who have downloaded but not yet listened, should we delete and re-download?