• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

It's a terrific conversation. I think Dave could have just said "Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair," and I would have been content, so getting all the other opinions and anecdotes and wisdom was great.

I feel bad for whatever poor schmuck has to go on after him.

Great podcast Felix!

I was wondering about how Mandel posted a Hembeck version of the dark knight splash on CAF after the auction. Obviously a funny way of keeping people guessing but I would love to hear that story if there's a next time

Another great podcast (thumbs u

Insightful statement (for us modern OA collectors) that key panel pages may one day held in more esteem since many modern books are read via trade these days. I kept track of what I read in 2015 for the '1000 books in a year' challenge and found that i read approximately 40% via TPB.

I've made that point a few times here on the boards before. I worry about repeating myself, so I'm glad it was new to one person, at least! Thanks for listening!

Funny how as a comic book collector who used to buy both the single issues and then the TPs I used to be upset when a TP reused one of the single issue covers rather than give me a new one (wanting more of a justification for paying again for what I basically already owned), but now that I own (or consider owning) some cover artwork I'm more than happy for the TPs to reuse a particular cover (and I know some people here had the same happen with a splash page that became a cover).

Well, I guess that saves me from having to e-mail Felix to ask who his next victim subject is. lol

Well, I guess that saves me from having to e-mail Felix to ask who his next victim subject is. lol

It also saves me from wondering whether the board software speaks Yiddish.

Felix, both of the interviews so far have been great. I think you're crushing it, making Felix Comic Art much bigger than just a place to buy art-- both have been really informative and fun. Made me wish a bit for the old days, and of course by that I mean 1996.

John

Felix, both of the interviews so far have been great. I think you're crushing it, making Felix Comic Art much bigger than just a place to buy art-- both have been really informative and fun. Made me wish a bit for the old days, and of course by that I mean 1996.

John

Thanks John! And more than for this nice comment, thanks for all your help in making us look good! I owe you a lot!

For those who don't know, John was a classmate of Dan Clowes, Kent Williams, George Pratt, JJ Muth, et al, and also has a monster collection. Looking forward to doing the podcast/video with him!

Felix,

I've really enjoyed both podcasts...and the accompanying video. I hang on every word.

Nice hint about having Steve on as a guest...but I hope Rich joins in, too. It's funny that Mandel said that he'd buy art by the inches while others bought by the trunk full; At Big Wow, Rich was telling me that he was one of those guys filling his trunk with comic art it was so cheap.

Great second episode. I enjoy the stories of acquiring the art but I think I like the psychology and reasons of what the art means to the collectors even more. If there was a way to get more of that out in interviews, that would be interesting. And Steve Borock would be a perfect interview I would imagine. Looking forward to more. I'll be listening.

-Christian

How about a Steve Donnelly podcast? hm

I think the Donnelly's podcast would have to be a 2 parter, as they were 1 of the earliest OA mail order (San Mateo?) vendors with a full page ad in Overstreet. Collectors always complained about their aggressive prices but perhaps they were always 3 years ahead of the curve. :o

Outstanding podcast #2 and the Youtube link just brought both (thumbs u up to Cgc 10.0 gem mint of enjoyment.

How about a Steve Donnelly podcast? hm

I think the Donnelly's podcast would have to be a 2 parter, as they were 1 of the earliest OA mail order (San Mateo?) vendors with a full page ad in Overstreet. Collectors always complained about their aggressive prices but perhaps they were always 3 years ahead of the curve. :o

The Steve Donnelly suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek I have to say. On reflection, such a podcast would certainly prove fascinating as I'd love to learn what makes him tick.

Steve Fischler would be my top choice for an early candidate and also Russ Cochran. Basically, pre-internet guys who did the leg-work to dig the stuff out.

Oh, and other collectors like George Hagenauer, Ethan Roberts and Rob Stolzer also spring to mind . . .

Doesn't mean he wouldn't have some stories, given the positions he held with heritage. Trouble is, I'm not sure if he could disclose much, given the position he held..

Doesn't mean he wouldn't have some stories, given the positions he held with heritage. Trouble is, I'm not sure if he could disclose much, given the position he held..

If going the route of Heritage, Jim Halperin would have no-one to answer to . . . and one of the finest personal collections ever assembled to talk about!