• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

. . . and Roger Hill's another collector with a wealth of history in the hobby to talk about.

...or anybody can join the CFA-APA for the same, as you've pretty much named all the lifers now!

I thought CFA-APA was a limited club?

. . . and Roger Hill's another collector with a wealth of history in the hobby to talk about.

...or anybody can join the CFA-APA for the same, as you've pretty much named all the lifers now!

I thought CFA-APA was a limited club?

As is everything; nothing exists in perpetual abundance. I believe there are openings currently, there usually are, join up if you wish (anybody, not just Terry!)

CFA-APA?

Comic & Fantasy Art Amateur Press Association, founded by Roger Hill..

The mailing, consisting of member contributions, carries a circulation of 50 copies.

The plus side is that you receive a handsome (ring-bound) volume of collated self-published contributions (that can run to several hundred pages in length).

That, alone, is probably worth joining for.

The downside (for me, at least) is that you'll be putting in a lot of time and effort for an audience of 50 people. How many of those are going to be reading each and every article published? Personally, I'd only cherry-pick those contributions that would match my own interests.

Great idea, but very limited in scope (imho). Something so good should receive a much higher circulation.

Why do pub gigs when you should be aiming for concert halls?

Cuz some bands only want to 'work' a few nights or weekends? (And continue with their day jobs otherwise.)

We've gone over this before, but in my experience you're the only one -member or not- that's vocal about these limitations being an issue. That's how you feel, I get it (just don't feel the same). Just a weird one, in that it just hasn't come up from anyone else.

Anyway, any member can always share their words with a wider audience too -via self-publishing, blogs, or submission to other print periodicals. Some have and do. Over the years many writings that germinated in CFA-APA ended up as longer, more fleshed out articles and even books published elsewhere. So that is definitely there for those that want it.

Not sure where membership stands today, but in the many years I've been around there's almost always at least one or two slots open, or a very short waiting list (months, not years). Nobody, that I know of, ever gave up for waiting or anything like that. However a lot of people have come and gone because the pressure of writing 400 words twice a year on comic/fantasy art was too much a burden? :screwy: To take, with CFA-APA, you do have to give :)

Cuz some bands only want to 'work' a few nights or weekends? (And continue with their day jobs otherwise.)

We've gone over this before, but in my experience you're the only one -member or not- that's vocal about these limitations being an issue. That's how you feel, I get it (just don't feel the same). Just a weird one, in that it just hasn't come up from anyone else.

Anyway, any member can always share their words with a wider audience too -via self-publishing, blogs, or submission to other print periodicals. Some have and do. Over the years many writings that germinated in CFA-APA ended up as longer, more fleshed out articles and even books published elsewhere. So that is definitely there for those that want it.

Not sure where membership stands today, but in the many years I've been around there's almost always at least one or two slots open, or a very short waiting list (months, not years). Nobody, that I know of, ever gave up for waiting or anything like that. However a lot of people have come and gone because the pressure of writing 400 words twice a year on comic/fantasy art was too much a burden? :screwy: To take, with CFA-APA, you do have to give :)

Yeah, we've gone over this before, but you brought it up again! I've been invited to join the group over the years but have always declined the invitation for the reasons I cite. No big deal, just responding to the previous poster. (shrug)

For less effort, and no constraints, I've gone the route of seeing my articles in print in wider-circulation books and magazines (something you suggest). Been there, done that. May do it again if I feel sufficiently motivated.

I enjoy the stories of acquiring the art but I think I like the psychology and reasons of what the art means to the collectors even more.

Next podcast definitely leans in this direction. For that matter, so does the show-and-tell video. Check 'em out in Feb!

I enjoy the stories of acquiring the art but I think I like the psychology and reasons of what the art means to the collectors even more.

Next podcast definitely leans in this direction. For that matter, so does the show-and-tell video. Check 'em out in Feb!

Look forward to it!

The Steve Donnelly suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek I have to say. On reflection, such a podcast would certainly prove fascinating as I'd love to learn what makes him tick.

Yup. I talked to them early in my collecting, found them utterly frustrating to deal with, and just wrote them off after that because I don't like wasting my time. In the past few years, though, I've softened my stance. I still haven't dealt with them, but I now see them as mostly harmless. They're just characters. They don't hide it, they are who they are. Mostly, though, it's because I've since seen others do worse.

As for other guests, the key is that I have to be able to sit down with them in the same room. I prefer that to talking over a phone or even Skype. Just not the same. So there are limitations, geographically-speaking. But I think I should be able to get a lot of guys around conventions. As it is, I've got the rest of 2016 planned out. We'll see what happens in 2017, if I make it that far!

CFA-APA?

Comic & Fantasy Art Amateur Press Association, founded by Roger Hill..

The mailing, consisting of member contributions, carries a circulation of 50 copies.

The plus side is that you receive a handsome (ring-bound) volume of collated self-published contributions (that can run to several hundred pages in length).

That, alone, is probably worth joining for.

The downside (for me, at least) is that you'll be putting in a lot of time and effort for an audience of 50 people. How many of those are going to be reading each and every article published? Personally, I'd only cherry-pick those contributions that would match my own interests.

Great idea, but very limited in scope (imho). Something so good should receive a much higher circulation.

I've been a member for going on 10 years. Lots of great guys, but not surprisingly, the actual publication is a mixed bag. A wide range in efforts. Some guys give it their all, but a lot are on auto-pilot. And then there are those who will write in to ask the editor to remind them again of the deadline, and what the minimum requirement is. You can imagine the quality of those submissions.

I wrote for the first couple of years, but felt my writing was slipping, so I converted to a non-contributing member (which requires a substantially higher membership fee). I didn't want to be that guy who crapped out the minimum 2-page requirement in triple-spaced 20 pt. font. I'm mostly in it because the guys who DO write great articles, make it worth it. In the end, my lasting contribution to the CFA-APA is enlisting superstar members like monsterhoodoo, Ronan Killack, and rsonenthal to the roster. I can say I'm proud of that!

I wouldn't disagree, Felix.

When you HAVE to write something, it quickly becomes a chore, less a labour of love.

The mag is great (Chris Killackey sent me a complimentary copy last year as a thank you for my help in his research for an article), just wish it was available to the masses.

Edited by Terry Doyle

Any retired or semi retired old timers you can do.? Richard Haliagia ( I know I spelled it wrong), or maybe Conrad, if he is well enough. The Koch brothers would be fascinating, especially if they could open up a bit. Maybe even some artists that had a interest from early on as collectors of OA.

Finally finished the second one. These are so great, and much of the conversation finds me feeling odd pangs of nostalgia for those 90s years, when I was chasing art by phone, early emails and yes, even faxes. Waiting on xerox end catalogs to arrive in the mail, and scouring things like CBG for ads or classifieds mentioning OA. Don't often have cause to get all reflective like that, but these interviews have brought those days flooding back. :)

Thanks again, everyone, for the feedback. Glad people are enjoying it so far. It's been a lot of fun and logistics aside, it's been a breeze. Not exactly a stretch to BS about the hobby for an hour! So, of course, gotta acknowledge the guys who are willing to come on and share. I will be reaching out to more of you! Hopefully, we can create sort of a record for the hobby, and as a possible additional side benefit, demystify collecting OA for newbies.

And it's because of newbies that I probably won't be talking to strictly old-timers, even if they might have the best stories. I want to talk to new collectors as well, people that I suspect the majority of the audience will be able to relate to better, in terms of age, budget, and collecting interests.

Anyway, it's all a bit fluid, but that's what I'm considering. Hope you'll all give the lesser-known names a chance, too.

Our latest video is up!:

This is from NYCC a few months ago, and features all EIGHT of our artists who attended: Garry Brown, Nick Dragotta, Juan Gedeon, James Harren, Chris Mooneyham, Riley Rossmo, Geoff Shaw, and Kyle Strahm. Watch them draw and create magic! Based on feedback, people most enjoy getting to watch the artists draw...well, here you go! And as a bonus, the first person who can tell me where the music is from, gets $100 toward any art on the site! The next five correct answers get free shipping (in the US) on their next order! Good luck!