• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

doh! Can't believe I didn't have Andy on my CAF watchlist. For those non-premium CAF members its a great feature. One of the many worthwhile things a premium membership will give you. Only $50.

doh! Can't believe I didn't have Andy on my CAF watchlist. For those non-premium CAF members its a great feature. One of the many worthwhile things a premium membership will give you. Only $50.

Actually, it's now $75 for a premium CAF membership, and still totally worth it. (thumbs u

Scott

First, its been months since I've checked in here, and thanks for all the nice comments on my interview by Felix. I just don't find a lot of time to go through the boards like I probably should.

Now to this one:

Andy and Felix, this is a really substantive interview. Of course I knew a lot about Andy's tiered system, but there are plenty of other gems here.

"Equal pain"-- in which winning a piece and losing it elicit the same exact feeling. Damn that's good. I've experienced equal pain frequently. I like this one as much as Jeff's "Monopoly money." Gotta remember 'em both.

On to Andy's self-deprecating jab at being wrong. Here's the thing. At some point Andy is going to be right. The only question is, "when?"

Great interview... and Andy, you're a lot smarter than I am. But we knew this.

John

This is my favorite episode so far. I have a very similar system to Andy's (exempt on a much smaller scale In volume and price). It is nice to see my system is not as crazy as I think it is.

Instead of ranking my art on a spreadsheet like Andy, I have a more visual system. I have a pic of each on my iPad. I rank each piece by placing the pics in order top piece to those on the trade/sales block. Like most my rankings change often, but it is easy to "drag" the pic up or down the list.

I find this process helps a lot with buying a new pieces. I can easily see about were a prospective piece would be be top 10, top 20, bottom 10. As an example I may spend 4 figures on a top 5 piece, but may spend only 200 on a top 50. This helps me justify or pass up a price quickly.

Thanks for the podcast Felix and Andy!

Edited by Greedo

Great series so far Felix, I listened to all 5 in the past couple of weeks when I discovered it in this forum. I don't own any comic OA, but it is definitely on my radar after seeing how much enjoyment you all get from the hobby. I used to be an aspiring artist when I was a kid/teenager so I definitely appreciate original works of art.

Wow, that's great! I've heard from other newbies as well via e-mail, so you're not alone. Introducing comics fans to this side of the hobby was something I had hoped the podcast would do, so this is very gratifying. Let us know if you have any questions, these boards can be very helpful. Good luck and have fun!

This is my favorite episode so far. I have a very similar system to Andy's (exempt on a much smaller scale In volume and price). It is nice to see my system is not as crazy as I think it is.

Instead of ranking my art on a spreadsheet like Andy, I have a more visual system. I have a pic of each on my iPad. I rank each piece by placing the pics in order top piece to those on the trade/sales block. Like most my rankings change often, but it is easy to "drag" the pic up or down the list.

I find this process helps a lot with buying a new pieces. I can easily see about were a prospective piece would be be top 10, top 20, bottom 10. As an example I may spend 4 figures on a top 5 piece, but may spend only 200 on a top 50. This helps me justify or pass up a price quickly.

Thanks for the podcast Felix and Andy!

You're welcome!

When I ranked all my art (and I wasn't nearly as organized about it as Andy), I found that cost didn't play as large a part in where my art placed, as I would have thought. Some lower-priced pieces actually did very well, while some high-dollar pieces didn't. I didn't get as much "value" from certain high-priced pieces as I had assumed. That was instructive.

I have a threshold for price now, and if I'm going to cross it, then the art has to be at least a top 20 piece. OTOH, it's absolutely thrilling to find a "cheap" piece that lands in the top 20. I was also surprised to see how high some commissions ranked for me, which has changed my view on them (having gone through a period where I deprioritized commissions).

I think my collection is better for this awareness. Glad it's connecting with other collectors, too!

The July episode is up!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Our last episode has been one of our most popular yet, so here's another 2+ hour edition! In the first half, I talk to former CFA-APA editor (and 40+ year collector!) Benno Rothschild. Benno wanted to talk about "collecting on a budget", so that's the unofficial theme of this episode.

Still, no show would be complete without some mention of Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (sorry!). Benno was at SDCC 1987 when books 1 and 4 were broken up (under perhaps questionable circumstances). Check out this amazing pic of the seller with all that Miller art:

CmnP9o5VMAAYXKT.jpg

And check out Benno's show-and-tell video on our YouTube channel:

The second half features a roundtable discussion with artist Nick Pitarra and collectors Shannon Slayton and Jimmy Lawrence. All about commissions! We've all had a lot of experience with them, and talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly. So commission collectors...this one's for you.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

It appears listeners like the two hour format; the last two episodes have been crushing the previous ones in downloads. Have some guys lined up for SDCC that I'm excited about...hope we're all sober enough to get it done!