New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,428 posts in this topic

5,498 posts
2 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Apologize for the misinformation on the Electra cover!  I hate putting out wrong information.  Having said that, and when discussing auction prices paid, don't we always include the buyers premium?  That's only number that ultimately matters (to me at least), not the hammer price.  So that said and for the record, the Electra closed at just over 26k with the BP.

And yes, I don't know the reasons why these Electra Saga covers are not as coveted, but I kinda thought it was an A-list piece, and as we have recently established, A-list is gonna A-list.  Unless it doesn't.  hm

Scott

You're right...I had $22K in my head, because that was the number that mattered most to Andy and Dave.

The auction was also the reason we sat on this episode for a few months. I didn't want the discussion to influence anyone, either way. I've found that people often choose to hear what they want to hear, so better for the auction to play out, first.

Personally, I've never considered any of the ELEKTRA SAGA covers to be A-list. They're fine, I'd totally be happy with one (for the right price)...but I don't place them in the upper-tier of Miller DD/Elektra pieces, either in terms of art or importance. Just my opinion. Seems like the market is coming to the same conclusion now, too. Which is only good news for anyone who wants one for their collection.

25,953 posts
24 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Personally, I've never considered any of the ELEKTRA SAGA covers to be A-list. They're fine, I'd totally be happy with one (for the right price)...but I don't place them in the upper-tier of Miller DD/Elektra pieces, either in terms of art or importance. Just my opinion. Seems like the market is coming to the same conclusion now, too. Which is only good news for anyone who wants one for their collection.

100%.   They are lovely, really lovely, but they just aren't on high profile books.   I'd rather have a few of the Elektra Assassin covers even though those are Sienk not Miller.   Just higher profile books.

Edited by Bronty

2,748 posts

Felix,

You should interview Andrew Farago of the Cartoon Art Museum. It would be interesting to hear stories about past comic art exhibits he had put together and the artists he had worked with. Also about the CAM art collection.

2,748 posts

Really interesting to hear Andy and David talk about the deal from two different perspectives. I can understand Andy's point of view on the cover, even though I have not had any art deals like that. Stolen art can be a very tricky subject. Andy is a great sport to talk about the original deal and how it evolved into recently putting it in the auction. 

When you talked to Andy about the deal with top piece of an B artist trading for a midrange piece of an A artist. For me when it comes to what I like and what I would trade away, the level of the artists doesn't come into play, nostalgia can trump even the highest ranking artist if the piece had great meaning to me.

26,855 posts
16 hours ago, Nexus said:

+1

It's not main run Daredevil, and Miller's Elektra Saga style already deviates from what was depicted in Daredevil just a couple of years prior.  Plus, this is where Miller's depictions of Elektra start to get more masculinized (not that she was portrayed before as gorgeous, but, definitely more traditionally feminine), which not everyone is keen on from what I've heard in conversation.  I'm not saying that she's got delts like @Doc Joe in these Elektra Saga covers, but, man, I'd probably want to test her for PEDs!  

That said, they are cool, and #4 is probably the best of the bunch.  

26,855 posts

BTW, Felix, is the link to the Mandel podcast working?  This is what I've gotten when I tried to open the link yesterday and today:

5a2aa54703472_Felixpodcast.thumb.PNG.61e554705f7f154a4ae24c990dc38af0.PNG

1,026 posts
6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

BTW, Felix, is the link to the Mandel podcast working?  This is what I've gotten when I tried to open the link yesterday and today:

5a2aa54703472_Felixpodcast.thumb.PNG.61e554705f7f154a4ae24c990dc38af0.PNG

I listened to the Mandel episode without any problem. I believe you have to be logged into your YouTube account (or Google) to listen. Were you logged in? 

Felix, I really enjoyed this two-parter. I do like the mix of having a veteran collector, a mid-veteran, and a new collector at the round table. That mix brings in fresh perspectives and it shows that this is everyone's hobby. It's also cool to get the professional comic artists' perspective. 

Lastly, big thanks to Andy for being a good sport about telling his side of the story. I certainly understand his side (both sides actually). Like he said, in this hobby there's lot of good stories and one or two bad ones. 

26,855 posts
4 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I listened to the Mandel episode without any problem. I believe you have to be logged into your YouTube account (or Google) to listen. Were you logged in? 

Yep, I'm logged in now (just double-checked to make sure) and it is not working.  Have tried like 10x between yesterday and today and keep getting the same error message. :sorry: 

Just logged out and back in and tried the link on two different browsers...no dice.  :cry: 

Edited by delekkerste

1,026 posts
22 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yep, I'm logged in now (just double-checked to make sure) and it is not working.  Have tried like 10x between yesterday and today and keep getting the same error message. :sorry: 

Just logged out and back in and tried the link on two different browsers...no dice.  :cry: 

The "video" is working for me right now. I'm listening to it on my smart phone, straight up on the website, not the YouTube app. Maybe try a different device?

26,855 posts
1 minute ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

The "video" is working for me right now. I'm listening to it on my smart phone, straight up on the website, not the YouTube app. Maybe try a different device?

Nope, doesn't work on my phone either.  Tried it there yesterday first, and just tried it again.  Says the video is unavailable with the additional error message of "There was a problem with the network [400]".

5,582 posts
22 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Nope, doesn't work on my phone either.  Tried it there yesterday first, and just tried it again.  Says the video is unavailable with the additional error message of "There was a problem with the network [400]".

Clearly Felix specifically blocked your access Gene. Live with it.

lol

26,855 posts
6 minutes ago, vodou said:

Clearly Felix specifically blocked your access Gene. Live with it.

lol

Sends me the link and then blocks my access before I even open it? hm 

He is a vindictive one, that Felix! :p 

5,498 posts
24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Sends me the link and then blocks my access before I even open it? hm 

He is a vindictive one, that Felix! :p 

It ain't me. You must have thought something not entirely positive about Google. They know all.

(Make sure you're logged in with your "tradergene" e-mail. That's the one that's registered as invited to view the video.)

5,498 posts
8 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

You should interview Andrew Farago of the Cartoon Art Museum. It would be interesting to hear stories about past comic art exhibits he had put together and the artists he had worked with. Also about the CAM art collection.

I've chatted with Andrew a few times. He's very thoughtful and soft-spoken. I don't get the sense at all that'd he'd be interested in doing a podcast. But I will keep him in mind!

5,498 posts
7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Really interesting to hear Andy and David talk about the deal from two different perspectives. I can understand Andy's point of view on the cover, even though I have not had any art deals like that. Stolen art can be a very tricky subject. Andy is a great sport to talk about the original deal and how it evolved into recently putting it in the auction.

I can see both sides, too. An unfortunate situation for both parties, neither one at fault. I would have insisted, though, that the dealer who originally sold the piece get involved. Given the chain of events, it seemed to me the obvious (and fair) thing to do.

And yes, Andy is a great sport!

7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

When you talked to Andy about the deal with top piece of an B artist trading for a midrange piece of an A artist. For me when it comes to what I like and what I would trade away, the level of the artists doesn't come into play, nostalgia can trump even the highest ranking artist if the piece had great meaning to me.

No question...nostalgia often trumps all in this hobby.

5,498 posts
1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Felix, I really enjoyed this two-parter. I do like the mix of having a veteran collector, a mid-veteran, and a new collector at the round table. That mix brings in fresh perspectives and it shows that this is everyone's hobby. It's also cool to get the professional comic artists' perspective.

Thanks! I like that mix , too, but it wasn't intentional. Just lucky! No doubt, you'll be hearing from them all again down the line.

2,141 posts

Felix, how about an alternative option to get the secret podcasts for us android users? Can I share a link on social media? On another site? Etc.? This Apple bias is killing me brother!

1,607 posts

Felix, are you able to calculate traffic on your podcasts?  Are the ones with superstar collectors like Dave Mandel and Albert Moy the more popular (A-list is gonna A-list :bigsmile:), more numerically listened to, or are the ones a little more off the beaten path getting as much patronage?

Scott

1,059 posts

Another great podcast. 

With regards to holding back the episode till after the auction - I wonder if the final price would have been higher if the podcast was released earlier. With the idea being that any publicity is good publicity. Especially since the elektra cover itself was bought properly .

Edited by Panelfan1

1,832 posts

I think the correct decision was made re: holding the podcast til after the auction. It could open the door for unintended consequences.