New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,427 posts in this topic

5,015 posts
10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Well, you know what they say - it's always the quiet ones you should worry about. :eek: :whistle:

Hmmm. I believe that Carlin said 'while you're watching a quiet one a noisy one will bleeping kill you!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,245 posts
18 hours ago, Nexus said:

OK, but not sure you're seeing my point: Nick is not buying even the "B" stuff for investment.

When I'm talking about investment, as it relates to this hobby, I mean the pieces that people buy with the express purpose of reselling for a profit. For some, that's every piece they buy. So their "favorite" piece is only a favorite up to the point they can find someone to pay 2X. Therefore, the scenario I played out with Nick, about why comic art shouldn't be considered an investment for someone like him, doesn't apply to everyone. Some will understand, some won't.

Snarky comments aside, I now understand what you're saying.  And we're just talking about 2 different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,497 posts
2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Snarky comments aside, I now understand what you're saying.  And we're just talking about 2 different things.

No snark intended! And not directed at anyone in particular, either. Just trying to clarify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,497 posts
19 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well that's true.   Sometimes pieces disappoint in person.

This has happened to me before. You think you have an idea of what the piece would look like, based on the published image...but when you finally see it, the actual original art ends up disappointing.

Much prefer the opposite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,497 posts

On a totally separate note...I attended the North Bay Fire Relief fundraiser this past Saturday at the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. It's fantastic, a must-see for anyone who visits the San Francisco Bay Area. It's a smaller version of the institutions dedicated to Herge and Miyazaki/Ghibli, but it has just as many, if not more, originals as either of those. The exhibits rotate, depending on theme. So if you ever wanted to see where all those PEANUTS strips from Heritage end up, this is the place.

Some pics I posted to social media:

image.thumb.png.7b999d1ac7a986ebd5e523de684d50f9.pngimage.thumb.png.897324312ffcee147f1375b69e17ddc3.pngimage.thumb.png.4b0888113675bd61a629f3260a0654de.pngimage.thumb.png.a265d2d7f52da15d6b995d2c06c1aeb0.pngimage.thumb.png.4de77728b73358010e73f1e1d82870fc.pngimage.thumb.png.8c517fc7ccd85a94ad1bd6e0c4b31334.pngimage.thumb.png.1051e3e18a7449029cca0582b483a391.pngimage.png.558110d96497f538d3b59a6b3c6869c8.png

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,945 posts

THanks for the pictures Felix!   That looks awesome!   I have to go there one day!  :cloud9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,398 posts

That's a great (and unfortunately rare) example of what a museum containing comic book OA ought to look like.

C'mon, guys, if you have bunch of $50k+ pieces of original art you're going to show off to the public, the least you can do is pay for custom frame jobs. Yes, I'm talking about the recent Romita NY show (among others.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,578 posts
1 hour ago, Bronty said:

THanks for the pictures Felix!   That looks awesome!   I have to go there one day!  :cloud9:

Yes. That is cool and great to see. I wonder how the backers (whoever, whatever) are swinging (no pun) non-profit (and nice!!) in SF of all places. That's some of the most expensive RE in America!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,945 posts
9 minutes ago, vodou said:

Yes. That is cool and great to see. I wonder how the backers (whoever, whatever) are swinging (no pun) non-profit (and nice!!) in SF of all places. That's some of the most expensive RE in America!

Well, royalties?    We still see snoopy on the blimps at game time sometimes, right?   There must be an ongoing income stream from the rights to the Peanuts properties.    Reprint volumes, replays of the old cartoons, the new movie, toys, etc.

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,578 posts
2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well, royalties?    We still see snoopy on the blimps at game time sometimes, right?   There must be an ongoing income stream from the rights to the Peanuts properties.

My mistake. I was confusing this with the other, forgot name, comic art museuam/society/whatever in SF that's not Schulz-dedicated. (The one that had the Sandman exhibit some years back.) Yes, of course there is no bottom (relatively speaking) to the sack of gold coins that is the Shulz/Peanuts Estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,026 posts
21 minutes ago, vodou said:

My mistake. I was confusing this with the other, forgot name, comic art museuam/society/whatever in SF that's not Schulz-dedicated. (The one that had the Sandman exhibit some years back.) Yes, of course there is no bottom (relatively speaking) to the sack of gold coins that is the Shulz/Peanuts Estate.

The Cartoon Art Museum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,245 posts
10 hours ago, Nexus said:

No snark intended! And not directed at anyone in particular, either. Just trying to clarify.

Thanks Felix.  Always hard to read tone on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,026 posts

Thanks for the pics, Felix. I've been to the Schulz Museum once before I was a collector. Another trip, this time as a collector, is over due. And man did I worry about the Museum during the fires. 

I always wondered if the folks at Schulz would ever lend a hand in identifying fakes? What's your feeling? If anything, collectors in the Market for Peanuts originals should make a trip just to get a sense what an original is like. 

It's a cool place to visit even if you're not an OA collector. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129 posts
On 13/12/2017 at 11:29 AM, Bronty said:

Well, royalties?    We still see snoopy on the blimps at game time sometimes, right?   There must be an ongoing income stream from the rights to the Peanuts properties.    Reprint volumes, replays of the old cartoons, the new movie, toys, etc.

The Schulz family sold 80% of the rights to a brand management company for $175M or so in 2010.   So you're right that they do still get a good chunk of whatever is earned, plus sit on a enough money to do just about whatever they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129 posts
On 13/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

I always wondered if the folks at Schulz would ever lend a hand in identifying fakes? What's your feeling? If anything, collectors in the Market for Peanuts originals should make a trip just to get a sense what an original is like.

I don't have the info handy, but I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times that someone in the Schulz family has been willing to help with that sort of thing.  I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in on this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,945 posts
6 minutes ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

The Schulz family sold 80% of the rights to a brand management company for $175M or so in 2010.   So you're right that they do still get a good chunk of whatever is earned, plus sit on a enough money to do just about whatever they want.

Ouch.   Good money back then but I bet they could get way more today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,945 posts

Then again 175m isn’t a bad inheritance (:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129 posts

You're right: I looked it up and the rights sold again this year for $345M.  The selling company ran into (from what I remember) a bit of an accounting scandal a year or so ago and may have had to sell.  When they originally sold the rights in 2010 the Schulz company did about $2B in sales per year--much more than I would have thought--so their ongoing 20% could still be a nice chunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,578 posts
6 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

You're right: I looked it up and the rights sold again this year for $345M.

Interesting. A double in seven years, exclusive of whatever they extracted from those rights for seven years. Family retaining 20% was smart too. Pretty good deal for all involved I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6