New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

5,427 posts
18 hours ago, wormboy said:

This is great Felix, thanks for posting the pics!

I didn’t even realize they had a new location until someone mentioned it to me at our Berkeley show yesterday.

And Raina is the main exhibit - that’s awesome! I can bring my 8 year old daughter, who has everything Raina has ever published (“Dad, they’re not comics, they’re graphic novels” lol).

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:

1. Can you tell us ‘who’s who’ in the first photo?

2. Is that a print or the catalog in the second pic?

Thanks!

1. L-R: Ben Seto, Nick Dragotta, Steve Purcell, Jonathan Wayshak, Mark Badger.

2. That's the catalog! Very impressive job putting it together by John Butler and Ryan Graff (pictured holding it). As a bonus, for anyone who made the signing, there were six full-size prints (one for each attending artist) that were included with the purchase of the catalog that evening. A fantastic deal for $25.

722 posts
34 minutes ago, Nexus said:

1. L-R: Ben Seto, Nick Dragotta, Steve Purcell, Jonathan Wayshak, Mark Badger.

2. That's the catalog! Very impressive job putting it together by John Butler and Ryan Graff (pictured holding it). As a bonus, for anyone who made the signing, there were six full-size prints (one for each attending artist) that were included with the purchase of the catalog that evening. A fantastic deal for $25.

Ugh! I had to plan to go but bailed at the last minute. I just couldn't leave my overstressed wife behind with two wild toddlers. And as Brian said, it's just not an easy trek coming from the South Bay.

4,234 posts
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Butler. No surprise that catalog is awesome, based on cover and SIZE alone :)

4,234 posts
45 minutes ago, Nexus said:

For LONE WOLF AND CUB fans, here's a cool little video featuring Paul Pope:

https://vimeo.com/225145945 (password: goldrush)

Also appearing are Larry Hama and Ron Wimberly. Enjoy!

nice - thanks :) 

5,427 posts

The February episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is now up!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

It's a two-parter this month, with part one featuring Graphitti Designs founder/owner Bob Chapman! We cover the history of Graphitti, but focus mostly on original art (of course!) with special attention paid to their Gallery Edition line of books (similar to IDW's Artist's Editions). Hear the inside scoop on how these amazing volumes happen! Also, what about a Gallery Edition for David Mazzucchelli's BATMAN: YEAR ONE? Or the most influential manga of all time? Bob reveals all! Thanks Bob!

Thanks to Bob as well for his contribution to our Original Art Show & Tell series on YouTube!:

Part two is a tribute to the late, great Seth Fisher. Seth was a standout talent, on his way to becoming a superstar comics artist, when he left us far too soon. Joining me for this tribute are his brother Asa Wentzel-Fisher, artist Nick Pitarra, and artist (and Seth's best friend) Langdon Foss. Thanks to all three gents for sharing their insights about Seth and his art.

Which leads me to this announcement: Felix Comic Art is honored to assist the family of Seth Fisher in the sale of his original art. Seth's originals have never been easily accessible before; now his family has decided they are ready to share it with his fans. Most im portantly, ALL proceeds from the sale of this art will be for the benefit of Seth's wife and son. Please sign up for the mailing list at www.felixcomicart to find out when this special art becomes available.

IMG_9490.thumb.jpg.1a412b466e0a39debb616e46e88e002a.jpg

Thanks for your support and enjoy the show!

77 posts

Nice podcast! I hope Seth's pages fly off the site and generate a nice sum for his family. Glad you're helping out by setting up the art offering. With your involvement and clout in the hobby, I know it will be a huge success.  Keep up the good work!

5,427 posts
3 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

Nice podcast! I hope Seth's pages fly off the site and generate a nice sum for his family. Glad you're helping out by setting up the art offering. With your involvement and clout in the hobby, I know it will be a huge success.  Keep up the good work!

Thank you! The sale is tomorrow...fingers crossed! Details in Marketplace:

77 posts

Felix,

Congrats on a very impressive sale. You only have a few unsold pieces left, the Fisher family must be very happy with the results!

Seth's artwork is really incredible!

4,977 posts
On 2/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, Nexus said:

Thank you! The sale is tomorrow...fingers crossed! Details in Marketplace:

Felix, kudos to you for providing your platform to Seth's family for this sale. Glad to see almost all of the pieces are gone.

5,427 posts

Thanks guys. Indeed, Seth's family is very happy that there are so many of Seth's fans out there, and that hopefully, there will be more new fans as a result of his art becoming more visible again after all these years.

Almost all the art has sold, but the good news is, the family is still holding onto additional pages. I've committed to help them as needed, so we plan to do this again in the future.

In the meantime, I do hope everyone checks out the scans. It's some damn cool art.

5,427 posts

The Felix Comic Art Podcast is back for March 2018, straight from Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp

My guest this episode is Rob Salkowitz. Rob is a columnist for Forbes Magazine, as well as the author of COMIC CON AND THE BUSINESS OF POP CULTURE. Rob is a longtime observer and commentator on the business of comics, and he’s also a comic art collector. We discuss the evolution of comics, as an art form and as a business, and how that impacts the original art market. Joining us is my permanent co-host whenever I’m in Seattle, Andy Robbins. Thanks to Rob and Andy for sitting down with me at the show!

In part 2, I catch up with Andy to see what he’s been up to.

This month is the fourth anniversary of Felix Comic Art. To celebrate, we have updated and upgraded our website. Go check out our new look at felixcomicart.com! I'm very excited about our new chat feature. We will hold regularly scheduled chats where you can ask anything on the topic of original art. We'll also be joined on occasion by collectors you've heard on the show, as well as our artists. It'll be a great way to learn more about the hobby, stay connected with fellow collectors, and get to know our talented crew of artists! if you're not able to participate, no worries, we will archive chat transcripts which you can read at your leisure.

Our website again is felixcomicart.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy the show!

1,497 posts
15 minutes ago, Nexus said:

we have updated and upgraded our website

Talk to your web designer about having your images not be set as background images. It makes them all disappear for people who need to use High Contrast themes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.afbf9667f3655b4f96f1059ab3fb382c.JPG

103 posts
1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

Talk to your web designer about having your images not be set as background images. It makes them all disappear for people who need to use High Contrast themes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.afbf9667f3655b4f96f1059ab3fb382c.JPG

I don't use high contrast themes, but I agree that having thumbnails as background images is a mistake here. If this was done for vertical centering purposes, there are other ways to achieve the effect. 

I do like that the site is now responsive though. I'm hoping to see more sites in our hobby go this way, especially CAF (though I don't know how possible that is from an advertising perspective).

1,043 posts

wow. great podcast. this was back to basics, collectors talking to collectors - and real treat overall.

one interesting point that came up with the Andy discussion was ending auction prices 'with juice'.  Although lots of folks say they look at the final price when they bid at HA - I think there are many of us who consistently fail to do this. The hammer price is always the physically larger # on the screen and the one that is mentioned by the auctioneer -while the 'juice' portion is played down. The end result is many of us spend more at HA - and the extra money doesn't go to the consignor.  This is one reason I like CLINK better -as ending prices don't carry that same level of fees that make it seem like a great result -but in HA's case -that result benefits them, not the consignor.

The other part of Andy's story about a friend who sold art to buy art - was very relatable.  I have sold stuff only to not have enough to fund a piece.  The trick, I learned, the hard way - is to buy first -and then sell.  this way if you lose the auction, no need to sell.

5,427 posts
19 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

The trick, I learned, the hard way - is to buy first -and then sell.  this way if you lose the auction, no need to sell.

Yup. When needed, I only fundraise AFTER. Never before.

12,797 posts

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast (again!) Felix. Very happy you started doing this, like some of you I also prefer the "collectors just chewing the fat" episodes, especially as I'm one of those sad specimens that doesn't know a single other person who also collects art. In fact the only time I ever get some facetime with other OA collectors is when I go to the US to bum around SDCC or Chicago Comic Con.

And I think Andy "forgot" to add the juice to his highest purchase ever just because he didn't want to psychologically deal with the bigger number :bigsmile:. I don't really subscribe to the notion that people at Heritage forget to add the buyer's premium to their bids, as it's there right in front in them each time they bid. How someone can forget a few thousand in "juice" is beyond me. Whenever I make a bid I just mentally add 20%. And yes I know it's 19,5% but with shipping and bank fees it might as well be 20.

Keep up the good work, I don't care if the collectors are BSDs or sketch-hounds, each of them has a few interesting stories and I've learned more from the podcast than I have in my 10 years+ of collecting.

Edited by chromium

586 posts

With some of the podcasts I wish there was a set of links for artists/books/general web resources that get mentioned.  Artists names are especially painful as my spelling is atrocious at the best of times!

5,427 posts
3 hours ago, chromium said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast (again!) Felix. Very happy you started doing this, like some of you I also prefer the "collectors just chewing the fat" episodes, especially as I'm one of those sad specimens that doesn't know a single other person who also collects art. In fact the only time I ever get some facetime with other OA collectors is when I go to the US to bum around SDCC or Chicago Comic Con.

I'll be at both SDCC and C2E2, so hope you stop by and say hi! I'll also introduce you to any other collectors who are around.

And I think Andy "forgot" to add the juice to his highest purchase ever just because he didn't want to psychologically deal with the bigger number :bigsmile:. I don't really subscribe to the notion that people at Heritage forget to add the buyer's premium to their bids, as it's there right in front in them each time they bid. How someone can forget a few thousand in "juice" is beyond me. Whenever I make a bid I just mentally add 20%. And yes I know it's 19,5% but with shipping and bank fees it might as well be 20.

I think Andy forgot because he's just old:P I really don't know anyone who doesn't mentally add 20% to their bids...certainly not if they've been doing this a while.

Keep up the good work, I don't care if the collectors are BSDs or sketch-hounds, each of them has a few interesting stories and I've learned more from the podcast than I have in my 10 years+ of collecting.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Edited by Nexus