New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

5,427 posts
2 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

With some of the podcasts I wish there was a set of links for artists/books/general web resources that get mentioned.  Artists names are especially painful as my spelling is atrocious at the best of times!

I'll keep that in mind, but I never know ahead of time what will pop up. And afterward, as soon as we're done talking, I start forgetting (I'm about as old as Andy). So if there's anything in particular you want to know about, shoot me a PM/email or just ask here.

5,427 posts

Next podcast is in the can (although I'm not sure if it will be the next episode released). We've talked about the documentary ART AND CRAFT here before; it's currently streaming on Amazon. Here's the trailer:

To get the most out of the next episode, I do recommend watching this film first. A sort of homework assignment. Hint: Art forgeries in the hobby are discussed. The doc is worth watching anyway, so if you haven't already seen it, check it out!

75 posts
28 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Next podcast is in the can (although I'm not sure if it will be the next episode released). We've talked about the documentary ART AND CRAFT here before; it's currently streaming on Amazon. Here's the trailer:

To get the most out of the next episode, I do recommend watching this film first. A sort of homework assignment. Hint: Art forgeries in the hobby are discussed. The doc is worth watching anyway, so if you haven't already seen it, check it out!

Hi Felix,

Love the podcasts!

Can you reveal any more info about the newest episode ? 

730 posts

That documentary is a riot. Worth watching even without it being the homework assignment. Go wach it!

4,246 posts
52 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

That documentary is a riot. Worth watching even without it being the homework assignment. Go wach it!

Oh yeah...LANDIS...great documentary.

1,290 posts

Any idea how much he would charge to do a recreation
of Avengers 229 for me?

Contact info appreciated, thx.

avengers229.jpg.43dba296d1a5c13025012493713cd6f7.jpg

359 posts

These are great Felix!

I like how Danzig said the Japanese artists don't sell their work because it would make them seem like failures.

I always wanted OA from Japan and now I know why there is so little available.

5,427 posts
On 3/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, MarvelComicsArt said:

When do you think the next episode will be posted?

thanks

Sometime during the first two weeks of April. I'm doing C2E2, so will probably post after I return.

5,427 posts
On 3/16/2018 at 12:44 PM, MarvelComicsArt said:

Hi Felix,

Love the podcasts!

Can you reveal any more info about the newest episode ? 

Thanks!

Next episode discusses comic art forgeries, focusing on one of the biggest scandals in the history of the OA hobby...with a special guest!

Edited by Nexus

24,932 posts
On 16/03/2018 at 12:14 PM, Nexus said:

Felix, 

Is there another link perhaps that might work for those of us outside of the states?

5,427 posts
12 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

These are great Felix!

I like how Danzig said the Japanese artists don't sell their work because it would make them seem like failures.

Thanks!

Yes, original manga art is scarce. I was on the hunt for it for many years in the late-'90's/early '00s. Got to meet several mangaka and learned a lot.

Tying this into the art forgery topic, check out this article from a few years ago:

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/06/manga-legends-just-what-are-they-selling/

5,427 posts
4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Felix, 

Is there another link perhaps that might work for those of us outside of the states?

See if this one works:

Otherwise, just google "Art and Craft trailer". See the movie if you can!

359 posts
4 hours ago, Nexus said:

Tying this into the art forgery topic, check out this article from a few years ago:

That Lum is amazing! I read she used to do 300 pages a month!

I was in SF along time ago heading for a surf trip to Costa Rica and missed the Astro Boy art exhibit. I was standing outside the museum and had to go. 

49 posts

Am I the only one dying to know what the piece Felix bought for $6k that was the subject of the 2nd half of the podcast? :bigsmile:

I don't think it was mentioned, probably out of Felix being a classy (and savvy) guy, but color me intrigued.

24,932 posts
On 2018-03-18 at 9:13 PM, Alf Pogs said:

These are great Felix!

Danzig expresses it well.    I can’t even get American artists of Japanese heritage to sell me stuff let alone actual Japanese.    This thing runs deep with them.

12,797 posts
22 hours ago, Nexus said:

Thanks!

Next episode discusses comic art forgeries, focusing on one of the biggest scandals in the history of the OA hobby...with a special guest!

Richard Rae returns ?

Watched the documentary, highly enjoyable...thought I saw a fake Dr. Seuss sketch and heard something about fake Peanuts strips.

359 posts
13 hours ago, Bronty said:

I can’t even get American artists of Japanese heritage to sell me stuff let alone actual Japanese.    This thing runs deep with them.

I had a fantasy about jumping on a plane with 100 grand and coming back with pallet loads..... that would only get me 2 head sketches! :ohnoez:

4,246 posts
9 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

I had a fantasy about jumping on a plane with 100 grand and coming back with pallet loads.....

What ever gave you that idea?

359 posts
23 hours ago, vodou said:

What ever gave you that idea?

I could find stacks of cels cheap in Japan Town all the time so I thought maybe this stuff is all over Japan like trading cards.  xD