New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

4,243 posts

Oh cool I didn't realize the archive stayed up after it ended. I missed out too...

5,427 posts

Welcome to The Felix Comic Art Podcast, where we always keep it real! Even when we discuss fake art...which brings us to...

Those who follow us on social media saw that I recently had a homework assignment for podcast listeners: To watch the documentary ART AND CRAFT (now streaming on Amazon Prime). It's about the most notorious art forger of the last 30 years, Mark Landis.

The documentary shows Mark duping museums and institutions all over the US with his forged fine art. What the documentary doesn't address is how Mark got his start over 30 years ago: By forging original comic art.

In this episode, we get to talk to Mark directly about his comic art forgeries, and what resulted in the biggest fake art scandal in the history of the original comic art hobby.

Part two features former CFA-APA editor Benno Rothschild to share the other side of the story: The collectors who were duped in the scam. Benno also provides the inside scoop of what went down, as well as shares his thoughts on how we can avoid something similar again.

We close the show with a quick segment on my buddy Yams, who puts these shows together, and has become quite popular in his own right amongst our artists and guests. You'll hear more from Yams down the line.

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for the mailing list to stay on top of all announcements, new art, and exclusives! Follow us in Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy the show!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcast.asp

3,796 posts

Felix, this podcast is riveting!  And the fact that he keeps referencing that Woody Allen liked the doc puts the interview into another dimension.  Sincerest congratulations on this one!

24,929 posts

Great episode!    I had several loud chuckles listening to you trying to keep him on track Felix

5,427 posts
18 hours ago, Bronty said:

Great episode!    I had several loud chuckles listening to you trying to keep him on track Felix

Haha! Thanks! Yes, it was a bit of a challenge. But knew what to expect from watching the documentary. Plus, I had chatted with him a few times prior to the podcast. He was actually doing much better!

4,243 posts
2 hours ago, Nexus said:

He was actually doing much better!

You can always tell when somebody has been part of a formal recovery program (AA, anger management etc) or intensive psychotherapy, they start to zombie-like repeat catch-phrases like: life is a wheel with many spokes. It's funny but also sad. I guess whatever gets Mark (and all others with 'issues') through the day in one piece without harming themselves or others is positive, but I also see it as a warning sign that I'm not dealing with a thinking individual. Dude's a catch-phrase zombie. Bet he likes those motivational office posters too ;)

2568471174_5f581aa201.jpg

DLdV9Ze.jpg

1,837 posts
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Nexus said:

Mark Landis' original ad (circa early 1980s).

image.png.8e3812ee3fca5a03d80dfee380c55b17.png

My take: He started out scamming people, and only later on decided he would "give away" things, probably because he got busted in the OA scam. This ad supplies evidence. He was taking trade (which is indeed fraud) but also selling pieces.

2,210 posts
1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

My take: He started out scamming people, and only later on decided he would "give away" things, probably because he got busted in the OA scam. This ad supplies evidence. He was taking trade (which is indeed fraud) but also selling pieces.

Based on the documentary, i'm betting his mom told him he was doing something bad.

Long story short, it's clear this is a man with mental disorders and issues with his moral compass.  Fraud or not, the man was doing something immoral with both Comic Art and Fine Art.

5,427 posts

Forgot to post this earlier: A postcard-size piece of art from Mark Landis. Sent over the holidays.

image.thumb.png.cc000d5e73dcdb5d0db0edd293f8332a.png

24,929 posts
On 26/04/2018 at 11:27 AM, Steven Ng said:

George Hagenaeur has posted some Mark Landis examples on his CAF

Mark Landis Forgeries

I can totally see how those would have fooled people pre internet.    Even now they aren't bad but then before the easy ability to compare every line with a group of people online, I can see it..

1,129 posts

I thought Felix was heading to Comicpalooza in H-town in a couple weeks, and was going to meet up with him and some other Texas collectors, but I have not heard any details since I spoke to him several weeks back....(shrug)  Hey @Nexus:baiting:

1,129 posts

talked to Felix- he's very busy & he's got scheduling conflicts that will prevent him from making it to H-town this year. So that may delay the intended Comicpalooza podcast.  But there's always always next year!

5,427 posts

New episode is up!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Also, new video!:

I'd like to thank all of you who have followed and enjoyed the podcast for the past three years. For now, the show is going on hiatus. I do hope to be back soon (on perhaps a less regular schedule), so keep watching! Until then, wishing everyone the best and happy collecting!