New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

368 posts
2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Grandma Moses is a running joke in my house.

Ha.  My father in law is actively looking for one, and he comes to me for advice on his art purchases.  I try to keep it professional, but I've come close to looking him in the eye and saying, "please don't do this".  But to each their own.

I was in...Sacramento (I think) and had a similar experience with a local shop.  I asked if they had any "original art" and the clerk went upstairs and brought down a slabbed book with a sketch of Thanos by Ron Lim.  It was interesting to see how she reacted to it.  She held it like it was a newborn.  Then I told her I was looking for original published pages and she gave me a Ted Theodore Logan, "whoa".  I chuckled and assumed that was a 'no'. 

I think they're 40+ because that seems to be about the age when most folks can dole out a good amount of cash for artwork.  It doesn't mean they didn't want it, or didn't have an appreciation for it in their 20s.  I think there's a natural progression and education that takes place and will continue to take place going forward.  I look at vintage pages and know nothing about the story, but I see the image, see the artist and have a draw toward it.  There are many Silver and Bronze age artists whose work I've frankly never read, but who I'd love to own good examples from.  Hope that makes sense.

I didn't know about Master Race either, but learning is always ongoing.

1,503 posts

Regarding the Lucas Museum... interesting to note the reqs for curators in their job listings-

https://lucasmuseum.workable.com/j/E763AB8516

• A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in one of the following: Art History, Film, History, Anthropology, Museum Studies, or a closely related field is required, a PhD is preferred (a combination of Education and Experience are used to determine seniority, title, and level);
  • A minimum of two or more years of museum or arts management experience is required;
  • A track record of object-focused scholarly and curatorial accomplishments through publications, lectures, or exhibitions;

Who is this mythical person they are looking for? An art academic with DEEP knowledge of comic art? No, maybe a few of the CFA-ARP guys? Golden Age of illustration art? Again no, but I can think of a few dealers. Or latest trends in digital/game/movie/concept art? Maybe a commercial art director?

4,270 posts
2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Regarding the Lucas Museum... interesting to note the reqs for curators in their job listings-

https://lucasmuseum.workable.com/j/E763AB8516

Who is this mythical person they are looking for? An art academic with DEEP knowledge of comic art? No, maybe a few of the CFA-ARP guys? Golden Age of illustration art? Again no, but I can think of a few dealers. Or latest trends in digital/game/movie/concept art? Maybe a commercial art director?

LOL. No sht. Sounds like they're looking to pry curators and Dept Heads away from other (higher profile and higher paying??) institutions...no learning on the job here thank you :)

127 posts
On 11/27/2018 at 2:13 PM, delekkerste said:

(thumbsu

No worries.  I feel that, if I didn't get a lot of push back from the under-40 set on this podcast, then I probably didn't get my point across. lol  I think some of what I said could be classified as "intentionally provocative". :devil:  And yet, while I was definitely painting with a broad brush, I think there's a lot of truth there as well.  I think it was meant to be less lamenting that a lot of art and artists are falling out of favor, and more just acknowledging the fact that, for better or worse, it is happening.  And, if this is happening, maybe a lot of the other things that the consensus in the hobby takes for granted as being a permanent state of affairs might actually be subject to generational/demographic changes over time as well... hm 

You may paint with a broad brush, but remember the craft of your strokes must outweigh the nostalgia of the bristles.

Who knows, one day maybe blue line copy will be the bees knees! :busy::roflmao:

giphy-downsized.gif

Edited by dirtymartini1

235 posts
On 11/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Andahaion said:

Yes, if feels as this board certainly leans one way on that question, but no one really knows do they?  I've asserted that I believe this "hobby"' will move into more of a fine art situation...maybe not exactly the same animal, but something similar. 

For the first time, I just got the Heritage Fine Art Auction catalogue mailed to me this week.  I have only bid in their comic art auctions previously and never even visited one of their fine art auction pages.  I think they are trying to get me to move in to that area.  Comparing the prices, there are some nice pieces of what I think are Impressionst and Pre-Raphelite for a fraction of the cost of a Marvel Bronze age page.

Flipping through the Fine Art catalogue, I have never heard of most of the artists.  The thought came to mind that these prices seemed arbitrary in a way that they aren't tied to anything, different in the way comic art is tied to early appearances or the characters.  I felt the fine art value not being tied to anything was a bit like buying bitcoin.

I'm bullish on the comic art.  I've been collecting and reading comics and related history books and websites for decades now, and I've never heard of Master Race until the post on it.  That it brought in so much money suggests to me that there will be this desire for good comic art even if not tied to nostalgia.  

540 posts
14 minutes ago, Peter L said:

For the first time, I just got the Heritage Fine Art Auction catalogue mailed to me this week.  I have only bid in their comic art auctions previously and never even visited one of their fine art auction pages.  I think they are trying to get me to move in to that area.  Comparing the prices, there are some nice pieces of what I think are Impressionst and Pre-Raphelite for a fraction of the cost of a Marvel Bronze age page.

Flipping through the Fine Art catalogue, I have never heard of most of the artists.  The thought came to mind that these prices seemed arbitrary in a way that they aren't tied to anything, different in the way comic art is tied to early appearances or the characters.  I felt the fine art value not being tied to anything was a bit like buying bitcoin.

I'm bullish on the comic art.  I've been collecting and reading comics and related history books and websites for decades now, and I've never heard of Master Race until the post on it.  That it brought in so much money suggests to me that there will be this desire for good comic art even if not tied to nostalgia.  

My wife was teasing me about the issue of Intelligent Collector that HA sent me this week....She is starting to put 2 and 2 together  on how much I am spending when these mailers come unannounced ;) 

731 posts
9 hours ago, cstojano said:

My wife was teasing me about the issue of Intelligent Collector that HA sent me this week....She is starting to put 2 and 2 together  on how much I am spending when these mailers come unannounced ;) 

And the GD title of the magazine prevents you from playing du mb.  

Thanks HA. 

5,427 posts
On 11/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, jaykza said:

Also, very much enjoyed listening to Lambert. His commentary is always well grounded and 'real'.

I met Lambert very early on in my collecting. He has definitely shaped how I collect, and how I view the hobby. I've learned so much from him. One of these days, I'll sit down with him for a proper chat.

5,427 posts
1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

My wife insists that "Intelligent Collector" is an oxymoron. :sorry: 

Ha! She's right! "Intelligent Collector" sounds only slightly better than "Intelligent Junkie". We're all pretty hopeless at this point.

235 posts
2 hours ago, Nexus said:

I met Lambert very early on in my collecting. He has definitely shaped how I collect, and how I view the hobby. I've learned so much from him. One of these days, I'll sit down with him for a proper chat.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Thanks, Felix, Gene. 

Consider doing a panel of this kind at SDCC.  I would love to hear a live panel discuss this stuff and collecting and things like how do you store your art, and about your favorite pieces.

1,019 posts

listened to the podcast.  agree with most of what was said with the exception on frazetta.  I think his art touched different fandoms and has a broader appeal than just to the comic art crowd which should support his prices. 

2,389 posts
On 11/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, Peter L said:

Consider doing a panel of this kind at SDCC.  I would love to hear a live panel discuss this stuff and collecting and things like how do you store your art, and about your favorite pieces.

I put on a panel Collecting Comic Art at SDCC almost 15 years ago. Had collectors and artists on it. It was a fun panel to do but never did get a very large audience maybe 3 dozen at most. If Felix or anyone wants to do a similar panel for SDCC, I would love to help out.

540 posts
4 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

listened to the podcast.  agree with most of what was said with the exception on frazetta.  I think his art touched different fandoms and has a broader appeal than just to the comic art crowd which should support his prices. 

I plan to test this by wearing the death dealer ugly Christmas sweater to my work holiday party. Except I can't bring myself to spend 100 dollars on that thing. I predict no one will know the reference.

44 posts
On 11/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, Nexus said:

Think it would be great to hear you guys just chop it up regularly, if convenient. Would be nice to just be a fly on the wall for your conversations if you hang out often.

1,849 posts
On 11/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, Andahaion said:

Ha.  My father in law is actively looking for one, and he comes to me for advice on his art purchases.  I try to keep it professional, but I've come close to looking him in the eye and saying, "please don't do this".  But to each their own.

I was in...Sacramento (I think) and had a similar experience with a local shop.  I asked if they had any "original art" and the clerk went upstairs and brought down a slabbed book with a sketch of Thanos by Ron Lim.  It was interesting to see how she reacted to it.  She held it like it was a newborn.  Then I told her I was looking for original published pages and she gave me a Ted Theodore Logan, "whoa".  I chuckled and assumed that was a 'no'. 

I think they're 40+ because that seems to be about the age when most folks can dole out a good amount of cash for artwork.  It doesn't mean they didn't want it, or didn't have an appreciation for it in their 20s.  I think there's a natural progression and education that takes place and will continue to take place going forward.  I look at vintage pages and know nothing about the story, but I see the image, see the artist and have a draw toward it.  There are many Silver and Bronze age artists whose work I've frankly never read, but who I'd love to own good examples from.  Hope that makes sense.

I didn't know about Master Race either, but learning is always ongoing.

I went to a shop in Indianapolis recently and they had a bunch of commission sketches, but no published art. Admittedly, the circa 1970 Neal Adams Deadman colored drawing on 11x17 paper was tempting.  

1,849 posts
On 11/29/2018 at 11:10 AM, Nexus said:

Ha! She's right! "Intelligent Collector" sounds only slightly better than "Intelligent Junkie". We're all pretty hopeless at this point.

My wife tolerates my collecting, at best. But, I bought some art from Ice Cream Man, a modern book out right now (that is getting a lot of acclaim, including from Brian K Vaughn who says it’s a must read for him every month), and she loved the art. I even printed out a scan of her favorite page for her to take to work. Go figure! Here’s the page. She has a macabre sense of humor, which includes buying a Chuckie doll, complete with knife. :grin:

D41645BB-1E07-4B37-9DAA-1F690DDDECDE.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

24,933 posts

Omfg you have to be kidding me! 😳 Congratulations isn’t enough 😵