New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,392 posts in this topic

5,427 posts

Doing this podcast is one of the few times in my life these days where I'm the "kid".

Going to switch things up, though, and have on some real kids soon.

4,243 posts
4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

No salt, just taking the pizz (and succeeding at it, I see!) lol :baiting: 

I don't even know if the Hulk #181 has sold or not, let alone at what price. (shrug) 

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

I know you well enough to know you're little annoyed about it ;) 

I was wondering about the price/ whether sold.   You made it sound like it was a done deal, but I guess not!

I'm so happy it's two other people instead of me and somebody. Thrilled to watch from the sidelines, even though it's already over :(

4,243 posts
9 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Going to switch things up, though, and have on some real kids soon.

Looking forward to this. Like yourself, I know exactly what my demographic values (and overvalues), but the youngsters ??? , well Rob Liefeld aside ;)

722 posts
58 minutes ago, vodou said:

Looking forward to this. Like yourself, I know exactly what my demographic values (and overvalues), but the youngsters ??? , well Rob Liefeld aside ;)

I have a feeling it’s even younger than the Liefeld demographic :popcorn:

688 posts

Great!  I had to set aside some time and put  this on my list.  I'm glad I did.

Nice podcast!  David

5,427 posts

For those asking about the "Frazetta Erotic Images" (as DocDave describes them) referenced on the podcast, here's a piece written by former podcast guest, Suat Tong Ng:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/11/dont-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-mr-frazetta-nsfw/

As always, unmistakably and singularly a Suat essay. The comment thread is worth a read, as well.

Questions for me from the beginning: Should these have been made public and sold? Can that be considered a betrayal? Does the existence of these drawings affect Frazetta's legacy? Everyone can decide for themselves.

4,243 posts

Additional question: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Meaning...the material was created by Frazetta, whatever your opinion on that fact, would anything be different if you never knew about it? Would you prefer to have never known? Is ignorance bliss?

24,929 posts
Posted (edited)

Unpublished art not meant for public consumption.   Don’t care.  Slippery slope when we start judging people on what they do privately.

Edited by Bronty

24,929 posts

And thx for the link Felix

233 posts

Thank you to Vodou and for Nexus for the additional information.  It was important for me to see what was being covered so I could make my own opinion.  The vague descriptions of it actually suggest something far worse in my mind than the actual images.  So it was better to see what was being discussed than hearing the vague "Frazetta Erotic Images that are also racist."

I'm not downplaying or dismissing the problematic issues with it.  I have a lot of opinions on it but nothing to add to the conversation.  

23,508 posts
On 5/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, Nexus said:

For those asking about the "Frazetta Erotic Images" (as DocDave describes them) referenced on the podcast, here's a piece written by former podcast guest, Suat Tong Ng:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/11/dont-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-mr-frazetta-nsfw/

As always, unmistakably and singularly a Suat essay. The comment thread is worth a read, as well.

Questions for me from the beginning: Should these have been made public and sold? Can that be considered a betrayal? Does the existence of these drawings affect Frazetta's legacy? Everyone can decide for themselves.

"There is nothing subtle about the content here which makes its wide acceptance altogether more distasteful."

Ummm...what exactly is allegedly going on here?  I mean, sure, I can make up a salacious narrative, but, I have no idea what's actually in the book, and have no way to place the context of this image otherwise. 

Frazetta-Tarzan.jpg

1,837 posts
2 hours ago, Nexus said:

One of the artists I rep, Daniel Warren Johnson, has been producing his own fan mini-comics over the last several years. Just for fun. The latest, OLD MAN SKYWALKER, has gotten a lot of attention on social media. Here are the original art scans...enjoy!

300519185306vKQECsPqbe.jpg310519014332T5p9rXsgvI.jpg310519014359ySKS2XdMIQ.jpg310519014424gFz2QJimvV.jpg310519014458DZnfetkqPm.jpg300519185403EgxTZ27Fm9.jpg300519183823LJHGIFMYxr.jpg3005191838233acTu7JmdN.jpg300519183823OEUgr7GJ1N.jpg3005191838243Qgxpaodqb.jpg300519183824sujvzrUyg9.jpg300519183825QjzTLS8zSB.jpg

Have you tweeted any of those images to Mark Hammill? I suspect he’d enjoy them. 

20 posts
3 hours ago, Nexus said:

One of the artists I rep, Daniel Warren Johnson, has been producing his own fan mini-comics over the last several years. Just for fun. The latest, OLD MAN SKYWALKER, has gotten a lot of attention on social media. Here are the original art scans...enjoy!

300519185306vKQECsPqbe.jpg310519014332T5p9rXsgvI.jpg310519014359ySKS2XdMIQ.jpg310519014424gFz2QJimvV.jpg310519014458DZnfetkqPm.jpg300519185403EgxTZ27Fm9.jpg300519183823LJHGIFMYxr.jpg3005191838233acTu7JmdN.jpg300519183823OEUgr7GJ1N.jpg3005191838243Qgxpaodqb.jpg300519183824sujvzrUyg9.jpg300519183825QjzTLS8zSB.jpg

Most Impressive!

5,427 posts

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Heritage Auctions? The Felix Comic Art Podcast reports on Heritage's Comics and Comic Art Signature Auction from May, which featured Frank Frazetta's record-shattering "Egyptian Queen". With a first-hand account is our long-time friend, and brand-new field reporter, Ron Sonenthal! Along with, of course, plenty of the hardcore comic art talk you love!

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive announcements and opportunities, including awesome giveaways! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook to see and discover the best in modern comics art. Leave a rating/review for the show on iTunes...we'll read it on the next episode! Thanks and enjoy the show!

http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pId=40

337 posts

Played catch-up today and listened to the last 2 podcasts featuring Dr. Stephen Ferzoco and Ron Sonenthal.

I'd be interested in seeing more of Dr Steve's (c) collection on CAF.  Ron's collection... always appreciated his DC art.

@Nexus You asked Ron if he saw who took the phone bid for the EQ.  Ron responded that he didn't see.  I've been wondering about why you asked.  Is there a significance to WHO took the phone bid ?

2,385 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Nexus said:

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Heritage Auctions? The Felix Comic Art Podcast reports on Heritage's Comics and Comic Art Signature Auction from May, which featured Frank Frazetta's record-shattering "Egyptian Queen". With a first-hand account is our long-time friend, and brand-new field reporter, Ron Sonenthal! Along with, of course, plenty of the hardcore comic art talk you love!

Our website is www.felixcomicart.com. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive announcements and opportunities, including awesome giveaways! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook to see and discover the best in modern comics art. Leave a rating/review for the show on iTunes...we'll read it on the next episode! Thanks and enjoy the show!

Very interesting field report from Ron. I was surprised of the small turnout for the live bidding. While I have not been to any of The HA  Signature Live Auctions I have heard a number of stories of how big the audience is for the Los Angeles Signature Auctions. It might have something to do with it only being the 2nd one in Chicago and LA having a large collector pool (From comic art, comic book to movie memorabilia and other collectibles.) or HA not originally planning on having the painting at the live auction.  

Disappointed that the Egyptian Queen only got one bid above reserve. Too bad they didn't go with a no reserve auction then it would have been more interesting but may have not been as high. I have talked with people in other collecting realms and they state no reserve auctions can sometimes be better than a reserve one. People know someone will go home with it and gets many into the bidding and some its like gambling they keep bidding maybe beyond they comfort level.

You mentioned HA has a San Francisco office and they will display art. I can confirm that. Back in 2015 for the November Signature HA Auction. They brought up some pieces to the SF office, one was Flash Gordon Union Carbide Magazine Ad by Al Williamson. I had been looking for a Williamson Flash Gordon from the period where he drew the Gold Key series. This was one of the nicest examples and I asked a friend who worked at HA if they could bring it to SF office for me to see. Seeing it in person convinced me it was the one I had to have and ended up being the high bidder for it. Framed and hanging in my den.

Ron Sonenthal Cub Reporter for FCAP.

th.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

233 posts
14 hours ago, Nexus said:

I love the podcasts.  I suggested in another thread that I would appreciate a SDCC panel like with what you do with the podcast and on collecting.  I think it would be terrific.  

I also think it's a good way for the vast number of SDCC attendees to learn about collecting art.  I used to go to conventions and skip the original art tables, not understanding what I as looking at.  This would have been an unembarrassing way to learn about the field.

2,385 posts
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Peter L said:

I love the podcasts.  I suggested in another thread that I would appreciate a SDCC panel like with what you do with the podcast and on collecting.  I think it would be terrific.  

I also think it's a good way for the vast number of SDCC attendees to learn about collecting art.  I used to go to conventions and skip the original art tables, not understanding what I as looking at.  This would have been an unembarrassing way to learn about the field.

Peter, I did Collecting Comic Art panel at SDCC 2003-2005. It was alot of fun but alot of work, since SDCC is an animal on to itself. With so much going on at SDCC many miss out on panels. I usually only make one or two during the whole con, But its been almost 15 years so things may have changed. Would be great to have someone do a comic art panel again.

Edited by Brian Peck

4,243 posts
6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I was surprised of the small turnout for the live bidding. While I have not been to any of The HA  Signature Live Auctions I have heard a number of stories of how big the audience is for the Los Angeles Signature Auctions.

I attended a number of them many years ago, room turnout was always small (more empty chairs than not). But to spread was good. No food for Chicago? That's a bummer!

My experience like Felix's, from the years well before Felix's too, was dealers put a floor on everything. No steals ever. That fact dampened my enthusiasm to thrill bid immensely, a feeling that has not waned, leaving only the Sunday slushfests to cherry-pick from. Dealers eventually ruined that too.