• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspicuous Spider-Man Staples

14 posts in this topic

I bought a box of ASM's which had only two older issues, 27 and 39. The cover of 39 is detached from the staples but the cover of 27 has staples that appear likely to be a later addition. Would there be anyone here who could look at the scans and photos below and help me make the final call on this matter?

Thanks for reading.

ASM%2027%20front%201.jpg

ASM%2027%20int%201.1.jpg

ASM%2027%20int%202.1.jpg

ASM%2027%20back%202.jpg

Staples on the front rather than the spine is not an unusual Silver Age quality control issue.

I would however take a closer look at the apparent bleed through I see on the top inner front cover -- amateur colour touch or stain?

If it is a common issue, that's good to know.

Here are picture of those black marker dots on the inside cover and first page, followed by a close-up of the front cover. I'm guessing it's not a colour touch - up but I'd love to hear other views.

ASM%207.jpeg

ASM%206.jpeg

I agree, I think there is color touch on this mid grade book with bleed through. Sorry but staples withstanding, I think this book has problems.

Do you still think it's a 'color touch' based on the photos I added? Definitely the marker lines would lower the grade but I cannot see them on the front.

they look like original staples to me too. the indentation on the right page, matches up with the shape of the staples (specifically the top one)

as for the CT, it doesn't look like overspray

It looks like the marker/ink was added on the inside cover, vs. bleed-through from the front.

Not sure this would be considered CT if it was added only on the inside front cover (since it's purpose really wasn't to touch anything up)

kinda like the glue on cover phenomenon:

- if it's just glue on cover (blue label)

- if it's doing something restorative, like holding something together or sealing a tear (purple)

I'd like to think this wouldn't be viewed as CT

Thanks to everybody for your thoughtful answers, I appreciate the feedback.

I don't know if I need to move such a question to another section, but does anyone have thoughts on a grade for this this book? I know it's obviously a flawed book but I'm still inexperienced enough to have questions about how far those flaws bring the book down.

Your further thoughts are appreciated.