• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parting with your collection

37 posts in this topic

So I was looking for some words of wisdom from boardies who have had to sell the majority of their collections. I was recently in such a position and I'm kind of depressed. Yes it was necessary, yes it was the right thing to do based upon our circumstances, but none of that makes it any easier.

I'm almost certain some of you have been in similar situation's. Any words of advice or encouragement?

It's only stuff, and it isn't going anywhere. Re-collect when circumstances allow for it.

Start planning for a new collection. Even if you can't afford anything right now you can set goals for what you want when you can collect again. I've had to sell many collections of cards or comics or various collectibles, but I always set a goal for what will start me off when i'm back on my feet. It might sound silly but it's kept me going through some rough patches.

I've built and sold my Daredevil (1964) and Amazing Spider-Man collections 3 times each through 30 years of collecting. I've sold due to job loss, trying to take advantage of seemingly high market prices, and due to my changing collecting interests. The only things I regret selling are a handful of Timely comics that I may never get back due to demand and scarcity (USA Comics #7 and #8). Concentrate on what you can currently afford, even reprints, and don't sweat what you've had to sell. The comic hobby has enough material where you can find something you like at any price point! :)

I feel you man, I've recently had to sell off some of my books due to a longer than expected bout of job hunting.

I was ok with it because I sold the books that I knew I could replace down the road when my fortunes improved. I held onto the books that I knew would be impossible to replace.

I hope you were able to do the same.

In the end even if you had to sell of everything take solace in knowing that you had a nest egg in the form of comic books available to be used to take care of your more pressing needs when the time arose. It's not unlike creating a "rainy day fund" of $$, it's just our rainy day fund is kept in long boxes.

When things turn around I hope you are able to recollect the books you had to give up.

In the mean time enjoy as much of the hobby as you can. I've bought almost zero books (of any value, 1$ or $1000) in the last year and I've still enjoyed participating in the message boards, watching the hobby and the market and reading reprints, trades and such...

I've regretted almost everything I've sold. And about all I've sold is undercopies or extra newsstand copies.

I did sell my Cerebus collection when prices were high. I don't regret that at all.

Sold some stuff to help with obtaining money for a down payment for a house. It was worth it. Will I miss it? Sure it was fun while it lasted but not having to worry about living in an apartment and paying rent that goes towards nothing is more important.

I typically spend $5 - $10 for a book and am happy with my collection. I have most of the Kirby Thors and FF reprints with some FF actual issues and most of Curt Swan's SA stuff. Then I got stuff like Miracleman and Nexus and BA Kirby 4th world stuff-cheap and good.

Occasionally I will spend up to $50-like Thor 165 or LG GL 87 etc.

So I was looking for some words of wisdom from boardies who have had to sell the majority of their collections. I was recently in such a position and I'm kind of depressed. Yes it was necessary, yes it was the right thing to do based upon our circumstances, but none of that makes it any easier.

I'm almost certain some of you have been in similar situation's. Any words of advice or encouragement?

Sold just about every book in my collection except my AF15 and ASM 7 in 2013 due to my poor financial decisions. Needless to say its 2015 and I have recouped a few of the books I sold and added some other things on my bucket list. I'll hopefully get the rest of my spideys back in 2016.

They will all be here when you get back.

The majority of collectors I know feel what makes the hobby most exciting is the thrill of the hunt, and less about the actual ownership and possession.

Also, in the grand scheme of things in life with health, relationships and necessities, "funny books" ranks way down in the pecking order of what's important, so know that you were and are responsible to do the right thing and it's okay. Nobody died over not having a certain comic book, but most certainly if you need food, shelter, money for a car, education, family, health, etc. you're wise to liquidate your assets to cover your essentials.

I'd encourage you to take photos of your former possessions as they'll be fond memories. I'd also say, try to handcuff getting rid of the bad with the good. The worst feeling is having a collection that's been picked through and left with garbage.

If you don't need to liquidate everything start from the bottom and then go up. Try to keep your favorites or items that are one of a kind (if "Original Art") or hard to find. If you can get rid of the trash even at a loss, but things you're not attached to, you'll maybe feel less pain too.

If you have anything that's high ticket, consider selling via an auction to try to garner the maximum revenue.