• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome to the "Outlier or New Normal" Thread!

23 posts in this topic

Here's where you can ask the question whether a price, whether an asking price or realized price from an auction or other venue, is an outlier or part of the new normal!

We had a thread already asking about Byrne Alpha Flight, which morphed into a thread about the recent $60K Byrne X-Men panel page listed for sale publicly.

Since I've gotten about 10 e-mails today about this piece, now is the time on Sprockets where we ask: Is $45K an outlier or the new normal for Ed Hannigan covers? hm

Personally, I don't know what all the hubbub is about. I mean, $45K is $20K less than where everything else seems to be priced these days!!

Discuss. :popcorn:

Those MTU covers caught my eye as well. I get they are fresh to market but make me glad I don't participate in the bronze pen and ink cover market.

Although Malvin is correct about not selling yet. I remember thinking the same about the prices on the Marvel Masterpieces posted a long time ago, which still sit there today.

Edited by Mephisto

If I wanted a bronze age MTU cover, I would buy this one for 25k

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8941981#Post8941981

Bah, Gil Kane is no Ed Hannigan! :P

The Hannigan/Esposito MTU #42 (Spidey plus the Vision) cover sold for $11.4K at Heritage earlier this year, and people thought that was a bit high, fueled by Vision/Avengers mania. The Perez/Sinnott MTU #65 (Spidey plus Cap Britain) sold for $19.1K, while the Kane/Giacoia MTU #30 (Spidey and the Falcon) sold for $9.6K, both last year. Even the Kane ASM #138 cover sold for just $15.5K at CLink last year.

The market has moved up again in recent months, after largely consolidating for the previous 12-18 months, but I think some of these prices are...optimistic, to say the least.

Saw them this morning...just checked

they are all still available..except the Frazetta cave man doing front delt wench raises

how are people passing this up???

Is there the possibility that they are consignments and this was the sellers wish and Albert was just like, well , why not.

So how about the Zeck batman thread I started recently. Is that an outlier or new normal? I have my own thoughts already as you might be able tell from the way I phrased things in that thread.

Malvin

Having watched the Zeck market for a long time, I think that particular sale of an unpublished stylistic Batman was an outlier, but I would say that in general, the Zeck market has been creeping up and will continue to do so steadily overall.. Some signs: 1) There have been some notable higher than expected sales in the last 1-2 years (like the Punisher piece that was used as the cover to the 2005 sketchbook which was old years ago as a simple eBay pinup for much less), and 2) where I used to be the buyer for most key items, I'm seeing other people entering the market and paying more than I would. And, for most of the auctions in the last few years, I haven't bid in the auctions so there are other people taking my seat at the table.

As most of the key A+ Zeck pieces are now locked away in "black hole" collections, I would expect to see prices on the B+ to A quality pieces escalate more and more (what was $5-15k will now become $10-30k). That I would say will be new normal. But, I wouldn't expect that B/C level stuff to escalate as much as we saw in that recent auction.

For $45k I think I much rather own something a like more epic.

There's a good chance you could get Ed Hannigan to be your butler for a year for $45k.

Seems that Hannigan has multiple sclerosis and has been trying to get funds for some years - don't know if that could be linked to the cover price (according to Moy it comes from a private collection)... The quote below is from 2010:

"Today, Ed is 58 years old and has multiple sclerosis. Through special arrangement with the Hero Initiative, Marvel is offering Ed Hannigan: Covered, a massive 48-page collection of Ed's covers, designs he created for other artists, and even rare glimpses at licensing and merchandising art Ed did. Best of all, proceeds benefit Ed Hannigan directly!
"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24328

Still it's an amazing cover!

Seems that Hannigan has multiple sclerosis and has been trying to get funds for some years - don't know if that could be linked to the cover price (according to Moy it comes from a private collection)... The quote below is from 2010:

"Today, Ed is 58 years old and has multiple sclerosis. Through special arrangement with the Hero Initiative, Marvel is offering Ed Hannigan: Covered, a massive 48-page collection of Ed's covers, designs he created for other artists, and even rare glimpses at licensing and merchandising art Ed did. Best of all, proceeds benefit Ed Hannigan directly!
"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24328

Still it's an amazing cover!

This is pretty cool.