• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warrior Nun Areala

52 posts in this topic

That's what I thought too but the same character appears on the cover of #34, 36, and 37. I think the character is Mimi Masters and notShannon Masters.

I don't think the red head that rides the broomstick is the same character as WNA, or if she is, it might be because she got possessed by the spirit of the Valkyrie that created WNA. I am super fuzzy on the backstory, but NHS 38 has always been acknowledged as the 1st app.

I don't think I will be much more help, because I only have 38s and I don't have any of the surrounding issues.

[ but NHS 38 has always been acknowledged as the 1st app.

I sent in a copy for grading a year ago with references and scans to see if CGC would agree. They returned a label without any notations and when I called no one had any idea about it and gave the usual line of "the graders" making the decision.

I have always considered NHS 38 her first appearance.

Here is the description on quite a few sites listing her first appearance.

Areala (as "Shannon") and Father Crowe (as "Magic Priest") made their first appearances in Ninja High School #38, also written by Warrior Nun creator Ben Dunn. Shannon shares the same last name as the witch Mimi Masters in Ninja High School.

No where do any of the above names appear in issue 38 however the characters Shanna and David Crowe appear in issue 37. I've looked through my #38 and cannot find anyone that even resemble Areala except on the cover but that character also appears on at least two other covers besides #38.

Here are the covers.

nhs34_38_zpsu4f3qfnw.jpegNHS%2036_zpskojfkico.jpeg

I think this might be a good case that NHS#38 is not her first appearance. I recently picked up a copy of Warrior Nun Areala Ashcan and in the book it goes over a brief history of the character including listing her first appearance as NHS#37, not #38, at the bottom of the article. The problem with the article is that it says the Magic Priest, David Crowe, is introduced for the first time and fights the demon Stanley in issue #36, but that too is incorrect because it doesn't happen until issue #37.

Warrior%20Nun%20Ashcan_zps7i0ovist.jpeg

So if #37 is her first appearance will it ever be accepted as her first appearance or will #38 still be considered her first even though she never appears in the book?

On 12/26/2015 at 6:53 PM, Fiddy said:

I think this might be a good case that NHS#38 is not her first appearance. I recently picked up a copy of Warrior Nun Areala Ashcan and in the book it goes over a brief history of the character including listing her first appearance as NHS#37, not #38, at the bottom of the article. The problem with the article is that it says the Magic Priest, David Crowe, is introduced for the first time and fights the demon Stanley in issue #36, but that too is incorrect because it doesn't happen until issue #37.

Warrior%20Nun%20Ashcan_zps7i0ovist.jpeg

So if #37 is her first appearance will it ever be accepted as her first appearance or will #38 still be considered her first even though she never appears in the book?

It sounds like NHS #37 is the first appearance of Shannon, who later becomes Warrior Nun Areala in Warrior Nun Areala #1...alla Carol Danvers/Ms.Marvel, Jack Boniface/Shadowman, Jim Rhodes/War Machine, Eddie Brock/Venom, etc.

NHS #37 is the first appearance of Carol Danvers, but WNA #1 is the first appearance of Warrior Nun Areala.

Edited by AGGIEZ

46 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wonder why NHS38 was trending as her 1st appearance all these years

Either way Im happy that NHS is getting some love. Those mid-late issues had minuscule print runs as well

And WNA #1 hasn't had value. Passed over many before.