• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most obscure WW2 covers
3 3

220 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not in total disagreement here, but having had lengthy discussions on this issue with the late John Verzyl who was more or less directly involved in the project, it was clear to me that existence estimates were based on both known and unknown factors.  Estimates were fungible when the evidence was unavailable.  Printing deadlines require taking omitted data into account.  Sometimes it’s necessary to rely on gut instincts and marginal info. Given the wealth of data, the 99.9% accuracy of the PJ’s was a phenomenal achievement. 

Based on my understanding ...as I was NOT directly involved in the project... logic and sketchy evidence played a role in books which skipped numbers.  IOW, since January and February issues of PRIZE (#18 & #19) were available to photograph and the April issue (#21) was available it strongly suggests that there should’ve been an existing PRIZE #20 for the month of March.  Someone involved in the project may have seen a copy of #20, but that’s testimonial evidence, not proof.

As for estimates of existing numbers, the discussions I had with JV left the impression that perceived scarcity was often arrived at arbitrarily, determined by a consensus of a network of dealers based on sales, inventories and experience.  If you have other evidence which sheds more light on this, please share.  I’m confident that everyone would appreciate a more detailed accounting of how this project reached fruition, myself most of all.  

Also, I don’t have an issue with anyone throwing shade in disputing misperceptions, but it’s much more useful shedding light. (thumbsu

Rather than argue over which views held sway thirty years after the fact, we should acknowledge the fact that there were friendly disagreements among the principals on both existence and perceived scarcity.  The one unequivocal consensus point was that everyone involved in the project wanted to get this seminal encyclopedic work out to the collecting world.  It remains a gold standard of the collecting hobby 27 years after publication.  If only that were the case with other important works in progress like the languishing Pedigree book.

I'm not arguing over views.  You're just making stuff up.  Prize 20 was known to exist.  

On 6/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

While not a combat book, this is a clear example of America in a moment of national grief moving to a war footing while embracing pride in democracy...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zps

National grief - well, we are not a glum lot!  Although Frankie looks like he's not living his best life at the moment all trussed up and whatnot

I believe this might be the Prize book following our glorious victory of WW2 in August '45.  Though certainly not as jubilant as the Prize 20, for after all this was just the end and not the beginning of the call to arms, still the mood is festive and the allegory is clear:  mano a mano, in the fight between nations, the USA is tops, the "WINNAH!" if you will; the fighter is in the foreground while the sun in the background corresponds to the Japanese Imperial "Rising Sun", and the Boom Boom refers no doubt to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

There are, btw, only 3 graded copies of this book on the census.  Rarer than the #20?  hm 

:devil:

Prize56.jpg.af7a0a6fe06380de3c2fb2243a9334e9.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

National grief - well, we are not a glum lot!  Although Frankie looks like he's not living his best life at the moment all trussed up and whatnot

I believe this might be the Prize book following our glorious victory of WW2 in August '45.  Though certainly not as jubilant as the Prize 20, for after all this was just the end and not the beginning of the call to arms, still the mood is festive and the allegory is clear:  mano a mano, in the fight between nations, the USA is tops, the "WINNAH!" if you will; the fighter is in the foreground while the sun in the background corresponds to the Japanese Imperial "Rising Sun", and the Boom Boom refers no doubt to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

There are, btw, only 3 graded copies of this book on the census.  Rarer than the #20?  hm 

excellent insight as always (worship)

I pull his leg - you pull mine - the great Board Jerk Circle goes round and round  :insane:

Truth be told, I do like the 56 for my western collection though

my wife thought Boom Boom was pretty damn funny, and that's all that counts  ;)

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

:devil:

Prize56.jpg.af7a0a6fe06380de3c2fb2243a9334e9.jpg

:facepalm:  ...  :applause:

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

I pull his leg - you pull mine - the great Board Jerk Circle goes round and round  :insane:

Truth be told, I do like the 56 for my western collection though

my wife thought Boom Boom was pretty damn funny, and that's all that counts  ;)

Actually, I think what counts is that your wife considers you a PRIZE.  xD

Arguably first cover featuring a costumed hero directly taking on the Axis 

(text story has the Angel fighting with the resistance in Europe, Dec. ‘39)...

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zps

Officially hunkered down for the expected nattering blitzkrieg of negativity.  :shy:

Cheers,

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
To restore image size

I am stating that the Speed Comic's cover is by Joe Simon ONLY. That is what I wrote. I am TIRED of "fans" that think they know the business and what went on changing things to there liking. Because they like kirby, everything kirby touched. Just like years ago, people LOVED stan lee and said he did evrything, wrote all the stories, no people no longer say that. I am also tired of people saying Joe Simon couldnt draw. Just like shown in the Adventure is my carrer, that statement in false. Even Stan lee said Joe taught jack alot about drawing and Joe drew as much as jack for those books!

55 minutes ago, Simon Comics said:

I am stating that the Speed Comic's cover is by Joe Simon ONLY. That is what I wrote. I am TIRED of "fans" that think they know the business and what went on changing things to there liking. Because they like kirby, everything kirby touched. Just like years ago, people LOVED stan lee and said he did evrything, wrote all the stories, no people no longer say that. I am also tired of people saying Joe Simon couldnt draw. Just like shown in the Adventure is my carrer, that statement in false. Even Stan lee said Joe taught jack alot about drawing and Joe drew as much as jack for those books!

Are you sure? 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, MrBedrock said:

This all sounds swell, but Gerber had a budget and a deadline. He simply gave up trying to find books so he could print the darn thing. For instance, everyone knew Flash Comics 56 existed. He couldn't find one so it wasn't included. Most everyone knew that Prize 20 existed. The Mile High copy obviously existed and I imagine it was listed in Chuck's catalog, though I don't have a copy handy to check.

I remember when I first got the Gerber books.  I saw Blue Beetle 21 was missing and I knew I had a copy of Blue Beetle but was it issue 21, sure enough it was, I had in my hands one of the rarest books in the world.  Fast forward to several years later and I couldn't tell you how many copies I have seen.  I don't think it is common but I must say, I was quite sad when I started seeing other copies.  I should mention, it has a kind of lame cover.