• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most obscure WW2 covers
3 3

220 posts in this topic

Love that one (thumbs u

This and the other issue (#1) are probably the only instances of a wartime comic book publishing material from a german author which shortly after would have served in the german army, and strictly speaking was not nazist by any means (he loathed the SS).

Here’s the splash page from the Will Sparrow episode (re-titled "Sky Pirates" in the USA edition). His art was influenced (among others) by Alex Raymond.

TSvvXQUh.jpg

Great obscure covers! :applause:

Here are some more. Everyday Astrology, a monthly magazine/pulp, from Ned Pines and Better Publications. Covers and interior illustrations by Schomburg - his steady "other job" from 1938 into the 50's.

EverydayAstrology1043f_zpswttfwil7.jpg

This is not particularly "obscure" but contains one of the few italian comics from the era published in USA, by Kurt (or "Curt", or "Corrado") Caesar, which was german and living in Italy, one of our most important artists of the 1930s and 1940s – the story (an episode and a half, IIRC) is from the Will Sparrow series, and features an air pirate, one of the first "anti-heroes" of italian comics, which lasted quite a lot and had an unusually varied publishing history:

3wrxuYNh.jpg

Love this cover and appreciate the history lesson behind it! I'm going to have to go back and read mine.

I totally love the Everyday Astrology – are these magazine sized?

@CrocHntr: Thanks much! Curt Caesar is an awesome artist, and has been an incredible person. His "Romano il Legionario", a nationalist hero, was often and schematically labeled "fascist" while it’s obviously something very different, patriotic in the same way we could say the various "american flag" heroes were, but of course he was no superhero, rather very realistic.

These are not comics, and not "obscure", but I guess that for an american they could be. Two issues of the rare 1945 year run of the italian edition of "Signal", the famous german magazine. Note how idyllic and pastoral the imagery is: at the end of WW2 there were still german villages like that, barely touched by war.

FuV5r8Lh.jpg

hJiX0cBh.jpg

I can also contribute an issue of the Dell run, and a pair of the insides just to give an idea, including the Jinxes (which are obviously chinese fighting the japanese) by David Berg, author of the awesome Death Patrol on Military Comics.

mozPRbAh.jpg

swlOZeSh.jpg

8e1S9v9h.jpg

EverydayAstrology143f_zps61ed48lp.jpg

Gorgeous stuff! Never seen any of these before!

Lots of great stuff here! :applause:(thumbs u:applause:

These were supposedly distributed around the world during WWII. Only seen these copies, from the estate of a person who worked on the program. Did find the Chinese version in the wild.

159547.jpg.8898d2e8c6f55e6b8cd8ac70cd380912.jpg

159548.jpg.fc59b3fd8fd78d4ccd89f5b0345c2e6b.jpg

159549.jpg.a0abd5ffdab78ccbe46e8cfe5c790c37.jpg

159550.jpg.9594036bd26279bf3e600979d5a566c3.jpg

159551.jpg.21eb8dd8ba0eed459750fe159bcf46d7.jpg