• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Going again tonight with my wife and son. See how they like it, plus my thoughts after the second time around.

If you can remember to do it, take note of the solar system in BB-8's map and see if it matches Earth's solar system. And look at the planet at the end as Rey approaches it to see if it's Earth. I couldn't tell and wouldn't be surprised if Abrams didn't mean to imply that it's Earth, but it certainly does look like it at a quick glance. The planet image was only on screen for two seconds at most and I couldn't identify a continent to say for sure.

Another open plot point that may have been addressed earlier in the thread, and if so I apologize for dredging it back up, but why does ANYONE have Luke's lightsaber that Obi-Wan gave him that used to be Anakin's? That saber was apparently lost at the end of Empire Strikes Back when Vader cut off Luke's hand and it fell out onto the surface of Bespin. Did someone retrieve it off of the surface of the planet?

luke-skywalker-hand-cut-off-bespin-590x330.jpg

By the way I'd hate for them to link Star Wars to planet Earth. Yuck :sick:

Unless you believe evolution is a myth, Lucas already did that by making the primary cast mostly human.

Nah, that's like saying Lord of the Rings takes place in our reality, because it has 'humans' in it.

Unless you believe evolution is a myth, Lucas already did that by making the primary cast mostly human.

Nah, that's like saying Lord of the Rings takes place in our reality, because it has 'humans' in it.

That was exactly Tolkien's intent, that Middle-Earth is a fictional place within Earth's past. That's why humans are there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth

That was exactly Tolkien's intent, that Middle-Earth is a fictional place within Earth's past. That's why humans are there.

:/ Regardless, the point remains. Fantasy films with 'human' characters do not have to exist in the same reality that includes planet Earth!

:/ Regardless, the point remains. Fantasy films with 'human' characters do not have to exist in the same reality that includes planet Earth!

It's not necessary, but it's common. Star Trek had at least one major panspermia episode to explain why there are so many humanoid species in their universe, so the idea of Abrams linking Star Wars humans to Earth is definitely a possibility. A closer look at the star map or the image of the Earth-like planet will tell us for sure.

I would prefer that science-fiction of the future no longer treat evolution as if it doesn't exist for their worlds to make sense, however. :wishluck:

Going again tonight with my wife and son. See how they like it, plus my thoughts after the second time around.

If you can remember to do it, take note of the solar system in BB-8's map and see if it matches Earth's solar system. And look at the planet at the end as Rey approaches it to see if it's Earth. I couldn't tell and wouldn't be surprised if Abrams didn't mean to imply that it's Earth, but it certainly does look like it at a quick glance. The planet image was only on screen for two seconds at most and I couldn't identify a continent to say for sure.

(thumbs u

Luke is the last Jedi Master. Jedi do not fear death. Yoda taught that to Luke on Dagobah, he would not hide from the world out of fear of his own death. "Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter."

Agree. He's not been hiding, he's been waiting. When the student is ready, the Master will appear.

Also, on Snoke's name. Every other name in Star Wars is wonky or goofy, and then we get used to saying and hearing it and get over it.

I also disagree with Caira that we are going to get a whole three arc retread. There are already major differences in the first chapter. I see no reason to think these three chapters will be beat for beat.

And on the use of another Death Star- I'm sorry, but this makes me chuckle every time I think about it. For all the fans who hated RoTJ for two reasons, one being the reuse of a Death Star, Abrams just gave you the finger and told you unequivocally that major space assaults on major space weapons is a major Star Wars theme. 3/7 movies and counting, baby! lol

I hope you are right and this trilogy/series/whatever heads off onto its own path.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, maybe it was the "familiarity" the "so much familiarity" lol with the original trilogy that helped. Or perhaps that hurt my enjoyment. It "felt" more like Star Wars than the prequels did, for sure, but this was a very VERY safe story for Abrams to tell. He knew this formula worked. Maybe they believe this is the perfect way to segue from the past to the future in a way that the original Star Trek fumbled around to do when they tried to pass the torch to Next Gen. in the films.

But to correct the description, I didn't say they'd be beat for beat, but it's hard not to see the parallels of main plot points that are being repeated, and that they are being set up for the upcoming films.

Fathers and Sons.

Masters and Apprentices.

Failing and Redemption.

Abandonment and Discovery.

Now you've got the reluctant, desert dwelling, force-strong character..left on the planet as a child..chafing in their arid daily life..reluctant to leave home and then embracing the resistance after their home is attacked, and a droid falls into their lap carrying a secret message and schematics that must make it back to the resistance leaders.

They need to get off the planet, and find their way onto the Millennium Falcon, while flying the ship is disabled and pulled into the cargo bay of a larger ship, from which they have to make a daring escape with the help of Han Solo and Chewbacca. The bad guys are tracking the Falcon though, all over the place, and will catch up to them soon.

Along the way they come into possession of the "Skywalker Family Lightsaber"™, grow into their powers, meeting up with an elderly yet wise mentor who will undoubtedly help them learn the ways of the force.

Those are just a few of the "similarities", and I didn't even mention the gigantic super weapon that can destroy planets, but built with a bulls-eye shaped weakness, which the resistance must fly down a trench toward, while being shot at from laser turrets, and destroy in a harrowing bit of fancy flying and daring.

There are so many more but those were enough to make me feel like I'd seen this before, as entertaining as it all was.

It's not necessary, but it's common. Star Trek had at least one major panspermia episode to explain why there are so many humanoid species in their universe, so the idea of Abrams linking Star Wars humans to Earth is definitely a possibility. A closer look at the star map or the image of the Earth-like planet will tell us for sure.

I would prefer that science-fiction of the future no longer treat evolution as if it doesn't exist for their worlds to make sense, however. :wishluck:

They could link Star Wars' reality to ours, but as I said it's not to my taste, that's all.

As for evolution, I see no difficulty in explaining that this 'human' race evolved somewhere in the Star Wars universe and proliferated across the galaxy. In fact I just looked it up. Apparently they are native to Coruscant (you know, the old capital planet).

Another open plot point that may have been addressed earlier in the thread, and if so I apologize for dredging it back up, but why does ANYONE have Luke's lightsaber that Obi-Wan gave him that used to be Anakin's? That saber was apparently lost at the end of Empire Strikes Back when Vader cut off Luke's hand and it fell out onto the surface of Bespin. Did someone retrieve it off of the surface of the planet?

I was wondering. Maybe theyll explain it with the next movie?

Man, now that ive had time to think about it this movie was SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!

They could link Star Wars' reality to ours, but as I said it's not to my taste, that's all.

As for evolution, I see no difficulty in explaining that this 'human' race evolved somewhere in the Star Wars universe and proliferated across the galaxy. In fact I just looked it up. Apparently they are native to Coruscant (you know, the old capital planet).

Why would you be fine with humans originating on Coruscant and proliferating across the galaxy, but if Earth were one of those planets, then you suddenly have a problem? Is it because it conflicts with our current evolutionary fossil record? The gaps in the fossil record are sufficiently large enough for me to be fine with the fictional idea of humans having an extraterrestrial origin.

Why would you be fine with humans originating on Coruscant and proliferating across the galaxy, but if Earth were one of those planets, then you suddenly have a problem? Is it because it conflicts with our current evolutionary fossil record? The gaps in the fossil record are sufficiently large enough for me to be fine with the fictional idea of humans having an extraterrestrial origin.

Not a technical problem, just personal taste. (Although if you put it like that, there actually are technical problems with that scenario, but that's not my objection.)

It's kinda hard to explain why I don't like it. Maybe I feel it would make the Star Wars universe somehow more mundane.

I was wondering. Maybe theyll explain it with the next movie?

Man, now that ive had time to think about it this movie was SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!

I believe someone addressed that lightsaber either from this thread or the other thread. It has to do with the old lady, she said she's been around a long time, and it could be that she from that same time as Landon house when Luke fought Vader and that how she came across the lightsaber. Also when she looks at Fin, she said something like I've seen similar eyes before, just speculation but Fin could be Landon's son.

Not a technical problem, just personal taste. (Although if you put it like that, there actually are technical problems with that scenario, but that's not my objection.)

It's kinda hard to explain why I don't like it. Maybe I feel it would make the Star Wars universe somehow more mundane.

But that's how Lucas framed it from the very first minute of Episode IV--he described the setting for his film relative to our own time and place. (shrug)

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

True....he'll drop it quickly when we find out his true Sith name.

WTF

F-ing great name.

:screwy:

Sounds like a nickname for female genitalia.

I believe someone addressed that lightsaber either from this thread or the other thread. It has to do with the old lady, she said she's been around a long time, and it could be that she from that same time as Landon house when Luke fought Vader and that how she came across the lightsaber. Also when she looks at Fin, she said something like I've seen similar eyes before, just speculation but Fin could be Landon's son.

I assume you mean Lando. Because of course there couldn't be many more than one or two black guys in the Star Wars universe. :grin: Boyega's eyes do look very similar to Billy Dee's. hm

159540.jpeg

159540.jpeg.0b27c2ae43e555cc8f4a085d32d03dbe.jpeg

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

True....he'll drop it quickly when we find out his true Sith name.

WTF

F-ing great name.

:screwy:

Sounds like a nickname for female genitalia.

Supreme Chancellor Pooty

Supreme Chancellor HooHaDilly

Supreme Chancellor Snoke

Yeah...they all work.

But that's how Lucas framed it from the very first minute of Episode IV--he described the setting for his film relative to our own time and place. (shrug)

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

What that opening line says to me is "This is a fairy tale."