• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Starkiller Base is an homage to the original title of Star Wars, Adventures of The Starkiller. Starkiller harvests energy from its system’s star, contains it within magnetic fields inside its base’s planetary core, and then converts that energy into an ultra-powerful beam. It absorbs the sun's top layer of radiation, which it will eventually regenerate.

Yeah, sure, I can live with that.

But really...who the hell cares if the physics are a bit wonky? This isn't hard SF -- it's space-fantasy / space-opera!

I dig the idea that the First Order are such Empire wannabees and worshipers that they somehow managed to emulate and then outdo the villainy of Darth and Co. by devising and creating a bigger, better, and deadlier superweapon that's not just the size of a small moon, but an actual effing planet!

Go big or go home!!!! (thumbs u

You can not have it both ways. If you say it is bad writing to kill off main characters, I could just as easily say it is bad writing if the audience knows that the main characters are always safe. If there is not the legitimate threat that a main character can die, then all dramatic tension involving that main character is lost in dangerous situations. It is fine to kill a main character just make it meaningful and make it advance the story.

Killing off main characters is a sign of weak writing.

I know, right? Don't even get me started on Hamlet and Macbeth...

I think the list of main characters in literature that died could go on for days.

What can you do if the character in question refuses to play unless you kill him off? How many people would have skipped the movie totally if Harrison Ford as Han Solo was not present?

JJ is not the guy you want creating something new. His new stuff only worked as far as homage, and not at all as new content.

Breaking this erroneous perception is the reason he got off of Star Trek, the reason he turned down Episode VII at first, and the reason he's not returning to Episode VIII. He wants only new material going forward.

I dig the idea that the First Order are such Empire wannabees and worshipers that they somehow managed to emulate and then outdo the villainy of Darth and Co. by devising and creating a bigger, better, and deadlier superweapon that's not just the size of a small moon, but an actual effing planet!

Go big or go home!!!! (thumbs u

Galaxy Quest lol

Carrie Fisher was painful to watch.

Im betting (hopeing) she continues to take a back seat to the new cast.

Next movie she'll have the mandatory scene between her and Luck (assuming he rejoins them in some way),

Luck? Who's Luck?

;)

I think Carrie's got it in her. They just need to coax it out. She was very, very good in Star Wars...they just need to find that spark deep inside of her again.

The Starkiller machine, or whatever it was called, seemed to have an improbable power source.

Did the sun 'go out' when it powered that machine?

Yes the sun's energy was used up to power the weapon and extinguished the sun.

Do NOT ask about the astrophysics of such an endeavor...

lol

Killing off main characters is a sign of weak writing.

I know, right? Don't even get me started on Hamlet and Macbeth...

I think the list of main characters in literature that died could go on for days.

What can you do if the character in question refuses to play unless you kill him off? How many people would have skipped the movie totally if Harrison Ford as Han Solo was not present?

Ren handed his dad his lightsaber and that was a bad thing.

Rey is handing her dad his lightsaber and that's a good thing.

A beautiful parallel.

One child holds a lightsaber out to a father only to take the father's life. Another child holds out a lightsaber to a father and says, "save me."

Ren handed his dad his lightsaber and that was a bad thing.

Rey is handing her dad his lightsaber and that's a good thing.

A beautiful parallel.

One child holds a lightsaber out to a father only to take the father's life. Another child holds out a lightsaber to a father and says, "save me."

I've seen it twice now.

Hate was in Ren's eyes.

Hope was in Rey's eyes.

I'll shut up now. lol

Some have said Ren was pretending to be conflicted. I believe Ren was conflicted. He asked his dad to help him with something. That something was, of course, killing his dad and completing his journey to the dark. I believe he wept for his loss even as he made that ultimate decision.

Poor dumb kid.

Some have said Ren was pretending to be conflicted. I believe Ren was conflicted. He asked his dad to help him with something. That something was, of course, killing his dad and completing his journey to the dark. I believe he wept for his loss even as he made that ultimate decision.

Poor dumb kid.

That was the comparison to ROTJ when the Emperor was telling Luke to kill Vader and complete his conversion to the Dark Side. For some reason, to become a Sith, it is not official until you kill your father!