• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of General Leia? She appeared to be non-Jedi like, and certainly was not dressed like a Jedi. Do you think she never trained to learn her potential? I wonder if that will be explained at all. I mean her father, brother, & son all have that power so I wonder if she will tap into it in future movies. Maybe they will have her flipping around in lightsaber combat like Yoda in AOTC. :eek:

I love how Kylo didn't need his Darth Vader, Jr. helmet like Vader did to keep him alive, but the one time he finally needed it when Rey maimed his face and throat, he had it off for no good reason. :insane: If he had a claymore lightsaber with quillons made of a substance that lightsaber plasma couldn't penetrate, you'd think he'd make his mask of the same lightsaber-impenetrable material...and that he wouldn't take that mask off so darn much. :/

I swear I saw a close up shot of Kylo Ren's lightsaber where you could see the tops of the quillons were open. Instead of a closed tube that directed the lightsaber blade outward, it was a half pipe that was open in the direction of the main blade. This would allow the two quillons to deflect an incoming lightsaber without needing a material that itself could deflect a lightsaber. I could be wrong, but it was something I looked for as I was curious about the design.

But you're right, there are materials in the Star Wars universe that can resist a lightsaber strike.

What does everyone think of General Leia? She appeared to be non-Jedi like, and certainly was not dressed like a Jedi. Do you think she never trained to learn her potential? I wonder if that will be explained at all. I mean her father, brother, & son all have that power so I wonder if she will tap into it in future movies. Maybe they will have her flipping around in lightsaber combat like Yoda in AOTC. :eek:

I thought about this too.

She definitely "felt" Han's death through the force...that much was clear. What's unclear is whether or not Luke trained her much or if that was innate.

My thought is that she did study under Luke for a while but didn't study much about lightsabers...instead opting for more tactical abilities that would serve her better as a general. Something like battle meditation. (shrug)

They've never positioned Leia as Jedi potential. She's force sensitive, but not Jedi material (based on how they've portrayed and positioned her in the movies so far). She feels the occasional big emotion via the force, but we aren't going to see her with a lightsaber or doing mindtricks...

Maybe when/if they flashback to Ben/Kylo's training in Episode VIII there might be some talk about her force capabilities vs Lukes vs Bens...

I think what might be in play is that she might not want to actively be a part of what her grandfather, a mass murderer and the destroyer of her home planet, was. This may have been extenuated with how she saw her son evolve and grow.

I'd suggest being a Jedi could mean a lot more things than being on the frontline, though I don't think Leia is a Jedi. I dont see any evidence that suggest Leia couldn't be a beast Jedi, even Yoda told us "there is another".

Re: Kylo's mask. It was important to have the mask off, even beyond the obvious reasons of the emotions of some the scenes. We had to see the boy. And while Driver is not a kid he's got young/smooth features, and when you combine that with his temper tantrums, what I got from him was a that this was a kid, a man-child, who runs around wearing costumes and wanting to pay a price, sure, but almost doesn't know what he's buying. Vader HATED his mask and what his injuries made him into. Anakin wanted to SAVE lives. Anakin would never kills his mother.

Driver is almost playing a game at this point, he's a cosplayer with backing, where Anakin was a full blown war hero.

I think when we look at some similarities, Kylo's butchering of Luke's school and Vader murdering the younglings, we will see vast differences in these similarities.

Kylo should have kept his mask on. My children thought he looked whiney without his mask and I agreed (ruined the whole evil bad guy vibe). lol

But IMO, added to the impetuous, irrational, tortured soul of a son fallen to the Dark side.

Yeah, that felt like the point. It was meant to show that he ISN'T Vader. He's a petulant child with an enormous amount of power that he doesn't have complete control over.

She definitely "felt" Han's death through the force...that much was clear. What's unclear is whether or not Luke trained her much or if that was innate.

My thought is that she did study under Luke for a while but didn't study much about lightsabers...instead opting for more tactical abilities that would serve her better as a general. Something like battle meditation. (shrug)

"There is....another...."

Okay, quick primer for those still confused...

Real name = Ben

Title = Kylo

Affiliation = Ren

Ren is NOT his name. He's a member of the Knights of Ren.

I'm not calling anybody Kylo.

I'll just wait for his "Darth" title before I call him anything else.

Okay, quick primer for those still confused...

Real name = Ben

Title = Kylo

Affiliation = Ren

Ren is NOT his name. He's a member of the Knights of Ren.

I'm not calling anybody Kylo.

I'll just wait for his "Darth" title before I call him anything else.

Darth Stimpy?

11848990_645631232240979_60810471_n.jpg

They've never positioned Leia as Jedi potential. She's force sensitive, but not Jedi material (based on how they've portrayed and positioned her in the movies so far). She feels the occasional big emotion via the force, but we aren't going to see her with a lightsaber or doing mindtricks...

Maybe when/if they flashback to Ben/Kylo's training in Episode VIII there might be some talk about her force capabilities vs Lukes vs Bens...

She IS Vader's daughter, Luke's sister, and, most importantly, Ben's mother...Ben didn't get his abilities from Han, after all.

She IS Vader's daughter, Luke's sister, and, most importantly, Ben's mother...Ben didn't get his abilities from Han, after all.

I think that while attunement of the force seems to have very little to with inheriting genetically, it does seem, I agree, to be the case when it comes to Anakin's lineage it does, which might have been the very reason for the creation of Anakin, perhaps as some sort of play at a controlled force-sensitive dynasty. Palpatine knew there was not better replacement for Vader than Luke's own son, and we did know that Vader thought that his son could perhaps help him unseat Palpatine.

For now, it seems that blood line is batting 100% when it comes to the force.

According to the Jedi code they are forbidden from forming attachments such as marriage, romantic love and family. As a wife and mother, I think that explains why Leia didn't go the Jedi route.

According to the Jedi code they are forbidden from forming attachments such as marriage, romantic love and family. As a wife and mother, I think that explains why Leia didn't go the Jedi route.

Wait a sec.

Who do you think is Rey's father if you believe the Jedi vow is upheld? I doubt Luke upheld the old ways since he saw it was the love he had for his father that redeemed him.

The Jedi were destroyed because they held on to ridiculous outdated beliefs.