• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been discussed. Many articles I've read explain why the films will stray from the original EU, but I haven't read whether or not Disney will allow the original EU to continue. Disney doesn't seem like a sharing type of company, so I'm wondering if the current story line (in the novels) simply end. I usually take a year or so off from reading them, then binge read until I'm caught up.

The EU ended late last year. A few books at the end of last year and all the stories published this year have been part of the new canon. I'm doubtful LFL will ever revisit the EU except when they need to mine it for ideas.

correct all of the books that came out before Star Wars: New Dawn" are not canon and everything from "New Dawn" forward are canon.

Overall a pretty good movie.

Empire needs to stop making Death Stars and Planet Stars-it's just not working for them.

I was skeptical about this movie but there were no dumb parts. There wasnt any cute dolt characters. Or minichlorians. Definitely no Phantom Menace.

Sorry if this has been discussed. Many articles I've read explain why the films will stray from the original EU, but I haven't read whether or not Disney will allow the original EU to continue. Disney doesn't seem like a sharing type of company, so I'm wondering if the current story line (in the novels) simply end. I usually take a year or so off from reading them, then binge read until I'm caught up.

The EU ended late last year. A few books at the end of last year and all the stories published this year have been part of the new canon. I'm doubtful LFL will ever revisit the EU except when they need to mine it for ideas.

correct all of the books that came out before Star Wars: New Dawn" are not canon and everything from "New Dawn" forward are canon.

Yes, but will the pre New Dawn novels be aloud to continue with the story line I have to assume has been laid out further than what has already been published, or is it like a tv show that has suddenly been cancelled mid story? I plan on buying everything that's been released to date, but fear it simply stops and New Dawn takes over.

SO MUCH work has gone into the recent novels (the Yuuzhan Vong war and all that followed was amazing!). It's like a slap in the face to tell them to stop and forget what they've laid out for the New Jedi Order.

I see no good reason this EU can't continue independently of New Dawn (Walking Dead novels and the tv show don't follow each other).

I just saw this for the second time. It is clear that the Force is operating in Rey from the start, unbeknownst to her.

Finn: How did you do that?

Rey: I don't know.

The Force is awakening -- this isn't just a clever marketing annunciation of Disney's arrival. It refers to the episode's plot. Finn's motivation for going AWOL was an awakening moral objection. Ren saw it when he looked at Finn just before leaving Jakku. It was the Living Light Side of the Force, there's no doubt. Finn wield's Luke's saber again & again. He's a hero. But what makes him most compelling of all is that his motivations shift from fearing&hating the FO to protecting Rey. This happens the moment he sees her, or to be more precise, the moment she looks at him -- to use his words.

The finest moment in the film is his confessed misrepresentations:

'I'm only here to get Rey.'

I think it's pretty wonderful that people have seen this movie multiple times in a theatre instead of the

"I'll wait till its on Cable/Netflix/Dvd"

Movies like this need to be seen on the big screen. Awax was right, in 3D that damn Imperial ship is inside the theatre. I really don't care about box office numbers just about cinema still being something that people get excited to see.

Nothing like movie pictures

There's a lot of emphasis on Jedi or Sith training in these movies. Fandom reflects this.

This thread has addressed Rey's lack of training & Ren's incomplete training.

The movie mentions the subject. Ren to Rey: You need a teacher. Snoke to his wimpy general: It is time to complete [Ren's] training.

I think it may be that something is amiss in all this training. The Jedi Order -- the Jedi Council failed in ROTS. Old Ben Kenobi & Yoda were in self-chosen exile. In this movie, Luke's attempts at training new Jedi result in tragedy.

Why did he wish to find the Jedi Temple?

Why couldn't Mace Windu & Yoda detect Sidious?

I think it's pretty wonderful that people have seen this movie multiple times in a theatre instead of the

"I'll wait till its on Cable/Netflix/Dvd"

Movies like this need to be seen on the big screen. Awax was right, in 3D that damn Imperial ship is inside the theatre. I really don't care about box office numbers just about cinema still being something that people get excited to see.

Nothing like movie pictures

I really liked my second viewing. More than the first, I think. Even so, I nodded off more than once. Nothing like a movie to put me to sleep.

The Jedi love ban made the dadgum chosen one go darkside. There's something wrong with that math.

They are really Catholics.

I know. So annoying.

The story is basically a remake of A New Hope but for ADD kids. Unlike A new hope, the story completely ignores all forms of reason and common sense to justfy it's end goal of telling a fast paced story.

First off, you have this Imperial "New Order". Now, the movie explains there's a new republic. But there's also the first order operating freely, killing and terrorizing worlds like it's 30 years ago and there is still an Empire. Even more so, they are capable of building a space station that's like 10 times larger than a death star. HELLO MCFLY. They do NOT control the galaxy. They don't have thousands of conquered worlds to use for resources. They can not just go off and build it without it being detected and having the republic or the resistance come along and blow it up. Even during the OT, the empire needed to shield the construction of it's new Death star though they were firmly in control of the galaxy.

Second, you have Poe Dameron put his secret plans into the newer version of "R2". He disappears in the beginning of the movie even though he promises to go looking for his robot. Later in the movie, he's back with the Resistance. He's not looking for his Robot at all even though he has no way of knowing the robot has been found and returned back to the resistance.

There are many other plot holes and inconsistencies and just downright stupidity in the making of this movie.

Still liked it better than Phantom Menace though.

The story is basically a remake of A New Hope but for ADD kids. Unlike A new hope, the story completely ignores all forms of reason and common sense to justfy it's end goal of telling a fast paced story.

First off, you have this Imperial "New Order". Now, the movie explains there's a new republic. But there's also the first order operating freely, killing and terrorizing worlds like it's 30 years ago and there is still an Empire. Even more so, they are capable of building a space station that's like 10 times larger than a death star. HELLO MCFLY. They do NOT control the galaxy. They don't have thousands of conquered worlds to use for resources. They can not just go off and build it without it being detected and having the republic or the resistance come along and blow it up. Even during the OT, the empire needed to shield the construction of it's new Death star though they were firmly in control of the galaxy.

Second, you have Poe Dameron put his secret plans into the newer version of "R2". He disappears in the beginning of the movie even though he promises to go looking for his robot. Later in the movie, he's back with the Resistance. He's not looking for his Robot at all even though he has no way of knowing the robot has been found and returned back to the resistance.

There are many other plot holes and inconsistencies and just downright stupidity in the making of this movie.

Still liked it better than Phantom Menace though.

Hey Ebert, it's the 7th installment of a sci-fi fantasy space opera about wookies and swords with laser beams for blades. Of course it has plot holes. Who cares - enjoy the ride so you can tell your grandkids, "I was there."

Yes, but will the pre New Dawn novels be aloud to continue with the story line I have to assume has been laid out further than what has already been published, or is it like a tv show that has suddenly been cancelled mid story? I plan on buying everything that's been released to date, but fear it simply stops and New Dawn takes over.

SO MUCH work has gone into the recent novels (the Yuuzhan Vong war and all that followed was amazing!). It's like a slap in the face to tell them to stop and forget what they've laid out for the New Jedi Order.

I see no good reason this EU can't continue independently of New Dawn (Walking Dead novels and the tv show don't follow each other).

no anything before New Dawn won't continue Lucasfilms/ Disney wanted to make a canon that was not a mess but everything runs in one direction and have one tier. the old EU had too many Tier's that some of them were causing a conflict with each other. lucasfilms made a story group that make sure all stories connect and they let the writer know what has been done before and after their story that way they know not to change events that already happen.

the plus side is they can cherry pick some of the elements that were done in old EU that they would like to add into the new canon.

And Rey and Fin able to stand toe to toe with a Skywalker-trained Kylo Ren? Major FAIL.

That bothered me as well, but after rewatching I realized I missed the part where he was hit by Chewies bowcaster and didn't understand the crazy nature of his injuries.

This explains why he was beat fairly well and it is very obvious now

F'ng ^^ That guys dialogue is absolutely amazing! Don't forget Kylo hits the wound a bunch of times too, guys a G in my book.

I've seen this brought up multiple in times including YouTube video by people who are clearly didn't pay much attention to the movie and can't connect the obvious dots. Not only was he shot but as pointed out he was hitting the spot and there is even a shot of his blood dripping into the snow.

It's not always not being able to connect the dots - I was in a 3D screening of it, very close to the screen and it was very awkward to watch, especially with the editing at times - so I missed the fact he was hit by the bow-caster and not another rebel gun which is MUCH weaker - which puts his injury into better context

Anyone who has been married or lived with someone and then broke up has been met at the door with a box before. It usually starts with "I was cleaning out the xxx and found this xxx". After seven-plus years my ex-wife keeps finding boxes of my stuff.

Today she met me with two boxes of books. Contained within one was my sister's original Star Wars novel from 1976 :) I thought it had met its maker.

It's in decent shape, pictures from New Hope are within.

2rmo5ms.jpg