• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

The different approach was a lost villain. A villain unsure of his powers and afraid. It's a more dimensional character than one who is convinced of his evil.

I liked that he was conflicted. He was a bit of a whiner and that was the point, I believe.

I liked Ren's hair but I too wanted him to die. Snoke has a funny name & would be great in LOTR, agreed. SW has had a lot of success with its strong villains. This movie took a different approach.

Snoke is Jedi for .

I liked Ren's hair but I too wanted him to die. Snoke has a funny name & would be great in LOTR, agreed. SW has had a lot of success with its strong villains. This movie took a different approach.

Snoke is Jedi for .

Yikes!

Snoke is Jedi for .

Yikes!

Is that a gigantic hologram in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Hollywood has no idea how much energy is in a star. The amount shown absorbed by the death planet was beyond inconceivable.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ.

IIRC, Sideous never actually learned this before he killed his Master. Sideous even said he hadn't discovered the secret in Revenge. And I believe Plagueis himself had a helluva hard time in his experiments before finally getting promising results. I'd have to read the book again, but I seem to remember it as Sideous not really earning his "Master" title. At least not in an "honorable" way, like Darth Bane. Sideous' ascent felt more like luck (Plagueis was exhausted from his experiments IIRC), rather than accomplishment by achieving Mastery over his Master.

I don't think you get rewarded mastery, you achieve it when the other one is dead, the implication being he has nothing left to learn. I'd doubt Honor has little to do with murdering the other in any case. Take Vader for instance, he wanted Luke's help to kill Palpatine eventually because he felt Luke could do it, not him.

That said, for both of us, the events and details of the Plagueis novel are no longer canon any way.

I know :( Still, there's hope that this may be one of the stories that they'll borrow from, because if I were to think Snoke reminded me of someone...

It would be this likeness of Plagueis

Y6RMkkr.jpg

Hollywood has no idea how much energy is in a star. The amount shown absorbed by the death planet was beyond inconceivable.

Based on what exactly? Your knowledge of how much solar energy a fictional death planet long, long ago in a galaxy far, far way is supposed to be able to absorb? Please enlighten us based on your obvious knowledge of fictional death planets sucking the energy out of stars how wrong they got it.

Based on what exactly? Your knowledge of how much solar energy a fictional death planet long, long ago in a galaxy far, far way is supposed to be able to absorb? Please enlighten us based on your obvious knowledge of fictional death planets sucking the energy out of stars how wrong they got it.

Based on thermodynamics. There is a limit to how much energy a black body can absorb. You cannot fit the energy released from a nuclear bomb into a cup of water, for instance.

It wasn't "bad" but I just don't see how it got a 93 on RT (last I checked.) To me it felt like a "high 70s/low 80s" kinda movie. It doesn't seem to me that it's going to be a movie that stands up to repeat viewings due to all of the plot holes and cliche's. (Seriously... the ground opens up in just the right place and time to save a certain someone for the sequel... is that really the best they could come up with???)

It wasn't "bad" but I just don't see how it got a 93 on RT (last I checked.) To me it felt like a "high 70s/low 80s" kinda movie. It doesn't seem to me that it's going to be a movie that stands up to repeat viewings due to all of the plot holes and cliche's. (Seriously... the ground opens up in just the right place and time to save a certain someone for the sequel... is that really the best they could come up with???)

Was better in subsequent viewings for me and I already preordered it. I suspect that many people have seen it many times, as with any film that's reached that level of box office would probably have to get audiences to come back.

While obviously not a statistically relevant large sample size, it feels like most of the time I hear people say they enjoyed it even more on their second viewing.

I don't know, I came out of this movie thinking it would be very rewatchable in the old cable days sense.

Based on thermodynamics. There is a limit to how much energy a black body can absorb. You cannot fit the energy released from a nuclear bomb into a cup of water, for instance.

you're talking about a movie in which light sabers exist. even more narrowed down, you're talking about a fictional movie about a fictional death planet. I'm sure fictional death planets can absorb more energy than we think they can.

a lot of the plot holes brought up haven't even been plot holes ("why is Smoke so big?" for example). and honestly, this is the kind of movie that gets better the more you see it. a lot of people have wrong opinions upon first viewing (me included)

you're talking about a movie in which light sabers exist. even more narrowed down, you're talking about a fictional movie about a fictional death planet. I'm sure fictional death planets can absorb more energy than we think they can.

also kav you're applying the limits we've hit up against in our understanding of thermodynamic, and our limits in energy storing... We have no idea the innerworkings of HOW the starkiller base absorbs energy from the star, stores it and then releases it.

also kav you're applying the limits we've hit up against in our understanding of thermodynamic, and our limits in energy storing... We have no idea the innerworkings of HOW the starkiller base absorbs energy from the star, stores it and then releases it.

This the most pointless convo so far in this thread.

Maybe we should also debate the physics of the Force as well.

Haters gonna hate.

bad movies make one hate

Force Awakens was not a bad movie.

Ok it isn't a bad movie but it isn't great in my opinion and I sure was hoping it would be.

Without reading a book, or some webpage filled with information that wasn't in the movie I felt it lacked a lot of information.

here is what I didn't like:

It is the exact same plot as a New Hope. Same thing, same death star destroyed. it bothers me that Disney would spend 4 billion dollars on a franchise and then millions of dollars making a "new" movie and all they did was rehash the same thing I have already seen.

Perhaps the movie is call the Force Awakens because Rey has already been trained as a Jedi but had her memory blocked and she suddenly knew how to use a lightsaber and how to use the Jedi voice because she had already been trained in these abilities and somehow the force was awakened in her. BUT this was not explained well at all in the movie as it was presented.

Why did Ren kill Han? I have no understanding of that.

Finally saw it today.

I thought it was fun. Not brilliant, but whatever.

I didn't read this whole thread, but did anyone else find it kind of funny they blow up the senate? No more boring motions, speeches, and calls to order!