• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I have never heard anyone call this movie brilliant until this thread.

everywhere they are calling this movie brilliant. it has a 93% on RT.

93% of critics liked it. The average score is 8.2/10 from critics. Is anyone who gets an 82% on any test brilliant?

Even with general audiences 90% like it, scoring it an average of 4.4/5 or 88%. So, audiences scored it higher than critics, but still a "B".

A brilliant movie would be scored higher, correct?

No. If you're checking internet user votes, then you're including trolls.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

At least 2.3%, it would seem.

Brilliant isn't very specific. What about the movie was brilliant? The plot? The scenery? The acting?

Someone walks into a room and says, "I have an idea that will make more money in the U.S. than any other movie in the history of movies."

Then they do it. In three weeks.

Doesn't even matter what the movie was. That idea was brilliant.

I have never heard anyone call this movie brilliant until this thread. Was it a brilliant idea to copy the original film? I was so excited when the movie began and then it started feeling like I was rewatching something I had seen multiple times over my life. Then the Starkiller appeared and I was thinking, no, they are going to do something different this time, it would be a joke if they...

well, they did it. The next two movies could be the best Star Wars ever filmed but it won't erase this copy. I guess it was asking too much for a completely original storyline that could blow us away. Before the hater memes come out, I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life.

I think this is fair commentary, but that will always be the problem with franchise films, expecting even a brilliant director to produce something original in a franchise is like expecting a brand new hamburger at McDonalds.

And if by some crazy turn of events some lonely frustrated chef did produce a genuinely new hamburger at McDonalds, the regulars would complain its not the burger they paid for, and the chef would be fired.

I like that analogy Robert!

It doesn't matter to me who likes or dislikes the film, loves or hates it (or anything), but it's a GIGANTIC success both commercially and critically. While metrics don't trump my own personal opinion, nor should it anyone, but when speaking in broad strokes Force Awakens is a success on every level we judge films of it's like. It's not like it's a huge $ hit and panned critically - it's not Transformers.

If it let down anyone they are the minority as we normally apply it to movie releases. There's nothing wrong with being in the minority, and I find myself there a lot, but let's understand that it is a small minority against every metric we use to gauge films of this ilk (by ilk I simply mean awards films tend to be a certain brand lately, barring exceptional circumstances like giving Lord of the Rings all its awards in one year because it's hard to ignore it all 3 years - awards typically don't highlight movies people actually want to see).

I don't think anyone is hater for disliking anything, but if people think the film is really good and loved it, why feel the need to act like they are in the minority? They are objectively most definitely not. In this thread we have examples of people insinuating people are taken in by a trick or fooled, and too dumb to see it. NO, all of us see the similarities, the people who dislike it are not seeing anything we don't, we just loved it anyway. Perhaps, on it;s own merits for us, or perhaps because of or combined with the idea of a new generation got a Star Wars worth the name, unlike the prequels (which, actually have a lot of fans of that generation - I suspect this board skews old, because young people don't typically collect vintage backissues in the U.S.).

I'm sorry, I've just been sensing a hater vibe, but in the opposite direction. Could the film have been more original? Sure, would it have been better for it. Maybe. Maybe not. There are a lot of original movies that come out every year, they are, mostly, boring as and will be featured during award season.

I enjoyed the movie on its own merits, but I challenge anyone who has a young kid, especially a girl, take them to this movie and not completely fall for seeing a new generation of Star Wars being born. Star Wars is for young people, they are trying to sell toys. It's not like comic books that tried to grow with its last generation of success, and why it'd dependent on low audience and high price point to maintain huge margins but no growth.

I'm cool with discussion and criticism, but man, the idea anyone is insinuating they are more clever for disliking what's mostly a kid's film, it's just kind of silly.

If comparing scores/grades people typically get on things like traditional tests to a movie rating system is silly, they aren't really similar excluding we are using a 100 point scale. In any given class, never mind school, school system, or country there will be multiple "A's" and SEVERAL PERFECT scores.

Out of the tens of thousands of movies, how may have a 100% (and a lot of them are grandfathered in old movies or small films that people jock that are basically unwatchable that most people have never eve heard of)? How many actual movies put out to entertain are over 90? We can't get people to agree on much of anything, so that Star Wars came out to such a high score I think is a surprise, and a welcome one and I view it as similar to Avengers, which scores somewhat similarly. As an aside, Age of Ultron is at 78 and this film is WAY better than that one, but I think they do fall into the same categories as recent blockbuster franchise movies. Feels right to me.

One is opinion based, the other typically grades different people on the same absolute questions. The latter is always going to give you better results.

I don't think the movie is brilliant, I have a hard time thinking any movie is brilliant, but arguing that this isn't a well received and successful movie is foolhardy. Yes, it's okay to dislike, even hate it, but that is not the perception or macro reality of this film. It ALREADY won, what's left to be decided or not is whether or not we like the winning team.

Some people do, and I don't see why that bothers people. Let people love. If they think it's brilliant, get off their , how does it effect anyone who doesn't?

Your last line works both ways- people who insist the movie is great shouldnt feel the need to force their opinions on others. They also should get off the as you say, as people disliking it shouldnt affect their love of the movie.

At any rate, bottom line is that while you make some points, the movie was a complete ripoff of Ep4 (and nothing changes that)- which Im fine with at this point actually. I like the movie more after a second viewing. I dont mind one movie to be a ripoff in an effort to create the same excitement the original had, long as the next two movies branch out. If thats the plan then thats cool. Only thing I dislike about the situation is I saw JJ dance around and make excuses when having this topic brought up. It would have been nice if he could have been honest, which could have been done tactfully.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ. Only makes sense he would be in the background building a new "Empire" and luring another relative of Skywalker's to the dark side.

Andy Serkis has specifically said that Snoke is a new, original character and that he's not Plagueis or Palpatine.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Popular-Supreme-Leader-Snoke-Theory-Just-Took-Major-Hit-103707.html

I'm pretty sure it's Biff Tannen. We never really know what all sort of adventures he got into when he had the Delorean. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up in a galaxy, far, far away and ruled over some empire as a phony god (man-who-would-be-king-style) before eventually being overthrown and fleeing back to earth, 2015.

Apologies if this has been posted already, I may have skipped some of the 98 pages on this topic, but here's an opinion worth reading on all those plot holes:

AT LONG LAST…MY “STAR WARS: EPISODE VII” REVIEW. THE FORCE AWAKENS & THE RISE OF insufficiently_thoughtful_person JOURNALISM.

By Matty Granger

Well, I've waited a few weeks to write my “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” review and finally, after multiple viewings and numerous vibrant discussions, I feel that I’m ready to give this movie the review it truly deserves.

I gave the film a ton of time to sink in. I analyzed the story structure and plot. I got to know the characters, both new and old, and came to understand the motivations and performances of the actors portraying them. I prepared myself to gush over the rollicking relationship between Poe Dameron and his new Stormtrooper pal, Finn, the brilliant puppeteering of BB-8 and the star-making performance of Daisy Ridley as the burgeoning Jedi known simply as Rey. I was ready to tell you about how much I adored the direction the filmmakers took with the legacy characters of Han, Leia and Luke while making Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren one of the most layered and interestingly flawed villains I’ve ever seen. I was excited to prognosticate over clues that were left in the film to set up the remainder of the series. Sure, the movie has its flaws. It’s a little heavy on the nostalgia and there are a few moments that are little too convenient for me, but there are a million other things I loved that quickly outweighed those problems. I’ve spent the last few weeks searching for precisely the right words to convey just how excited “The Force Awakens” has made me for the future of the franchise and planning how I would use those words to write a fair and balanced review.

But as I sit down to write that review…I simply can’t.

And here’s why…

Continue reading

Also re: the whole "Emo Kylo Ren" thing, I personally found him a great villain and genuinely scary. He reminded me of one of those misguided kids who end up shooting up their schools, perhaps after first having murdered their parents.

Watched it for a second time this weekend. Unlike most, I actually didn't enjoy the movie near as much the second time around. I think the build up of going to see it opening night and the excitement of the crowd made it that much better the first time. On opening night I was in a theater that cheered several times throughout the movie which annoyed me a little bit at the time, but I actually missed it on second viewing when the audience was dead silent the whole time. I was originally planning on 3 or 4 viewings while the movie is still in the theater; but now I don't see myself going again.

That said, I did still enjoy the movie and it will be a definite blu-ray purchase (hopefully in 3D) that will probably get multiple viewings in the future.

Apparently the next film has the rebels holed up on an ice world meanwhile luke and whats her name head to Dagobah for training.

Apparently the next film has the rebels holed up on an ice world meanwhile luke and whats her name head to Dagobah for training.

Rey: "Luke, you're my father!...Right? Because otherwise I'm, like, confused."

But All I did was Kiss Leia..

What is this... Game of Thrones

God I hope not...would they really mimic ESB that far?

Jim

If people would be willing to pay to see it five or more times, the Disney powers-that-be would fart in their own faces.

IMHO

God I hope not...would they really mimic ESB that far?

Jim

If people would be willing to pay to see it five or more times, the Disney powers-that-be would fart in their own faces.

IMHO

At Disney they call that a Steamboat Willie.