• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

The best villains are the ones that the audience roots for. Emo Ren I just found annoying.

The best villains are the ones that the audience roots for. Emo Ren I just found annoying.

I liked him. I mean, I didn't like him, I thought he was childish and pathetic. But I found him an entertaining and worthwhile element of the film, with a cool look and voice so long as he keeps the helmet on. I don't want to see him redeemed. I'd rather he die, whining and screaming about how unfair everything is.

The movie was great. All this nitpicking is crazy.

We don't like his hair? OMG

This is the new normal in our society...to rip everything apart online.

It's not the highest grossing movie in history for nothing. :)

So, what you are saying is...

you love his hair :acclaim:

One man's nitpicking is another's critical thinking. Critical thinking isn't new, or unfortunate. Of course not all criticism is worth much lol.

One man's nitpicking is another's critical thinking. Critical thinking isn't new, or unfortunate. Of course not all criticism is worth much lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_Getting_Old#Plot

(thumbs u

The more I think about it, the Starkiller base really is dumb. Not only is it just a death star ripoff idea, but if it absorbs all the power of its sun, then the planet would die. Not very smart planning... They would have been better off with a Death Star 3 that could move.

No rage on earth can compete with Star Wars Nerd Rage.

Just imagine if the movie had sucked? Internet would break. People would be institutionalized. Movie studios would burn.

I thought this article was mostly nit-picky, but there were also a few good points spattered among it:

40 Unforgivable Plot Holes in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Read it when it first was published, most of what he says aren't even really nitpicks, they are (sometimes false) conjectures found after deciding you don't like something, something almost anyone can do about almost any movie. I think the writer admits approaching it with angles that when writing multiple pieces, including one praising it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/10-reasons-star-wars-the-force-awakens-_b_8895598.html

People have to remember that lists are used because they have been found to be among the most click baity type of "journalism" or opinion (again, I think purposely used on the author's part).

The more I think about it, the Starkiller base really is dumb. Not only is it just a death star ripoff idea, but if it absorbs all the power of its sun, then the planet would die. Not very smart planning... They would have been better off with a Death Star 3 that could move.

It has been confirmed that the base moves. It sucked one star dry already and moved onto another. And remember that the Star Wars universe employs 'hyperspace', which involves instantaneous jumps from one place to another.

The movies are extremely vague on the subject, but the EU has had to rationalise based on available evidence.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ. Only makes sense he would be in the background building a new "Empire" and luring another relative of Skywalker's to the dark side.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ. Only makes sense he would be in the background building a new "Empire" and luring another relative of Skywalker's to the dark side.

Anything is possible, but if he was Palpatine some things would need to be explained. For one, why is there need to keep that secret? We know Snoke is not a secret, Leia names him and he is openly discussed to have had an influence on their son back in the day. Snoke seems familiar to them IMHO. Palpatine is obviously a master of deceit but not sure if that's interesting having an eternal devil like figure.

Secondly, again, Snoke is not a secret, and if he's going to be all in the open as the leader of a group capable of destroying the Republic fleet and current capitol with one blow, why would he feel the need to hide who he was, and wouldn't it be even better propaganda to actually be the former Emperor?

Also, beyond that I think Palpatine being alive would reduce the OT, in terms of both Vader and Luke's journey.

I don't think Snoke is a Sith, but that's just me and Palpatine is arguably the most powerful Sith of all time.

I've thought this since I saw FA.

I have no proof at all, I just like the idea.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ.

IIRC, Sideous never actually learned this before he killed his Master. Sideous even said he hadn't discovered the secret in Revenge. And I believe Plagueis himself had a helluva hard time in his experiments before finally getting promising results. I'd have to read the book again, but I seem to remember it as Sideous not really earning his "Master" title. At least not in an "honorable" way, like Darth Bane. Sideous' ascent felt more like luck (Plagueis was exhausted from his experiments IIRC), rather than accomplishment by achieving Mastery over his Master.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but anyone else feel like maybe Snoke is Palpatine? We know he learned everything (presumably including stopping death) from Plagueis, and we never do see his dead body in ROTJ.

IIRC, Sideous never actually learned this before he killed his Master. Sideous even said he hadn't discovered the secret in Revenge. And I believe Plagueis himself had a helluva hard time in his experiments before finally getting promising results. I'd have to read the book again, but I seem to remember it as Sideous not really earning his "Master" title. At least not in an "honorable" way, like Darth Bane. Sideous' ascent felt more like luck (Plagueis was exhausted from his experiments IIRC), rather than accomplishment by achieving Mastery over his Master.

I don't think you get rewarded mastery, you achieve it when the other one is dead, the implication being he has nothing left to learn. I'd doubt Honor has little to do with murdering the other in any case. Take Vader for instance, he wanted Luke's help to kill Palpatine eventually because he felt Luke could do it, not him.

That said, for both of us, the events and details of the Plagueis novel are no longer canon any way.

No rage on earth can compete with Star Wars Nerd Rage.

Just imagine if the movie had sucked? Internet would break. People would be institutionalized. Movie studios would burn.

It's all POV really. Someone that has never read a single SW novel probably won't have the same POV as someone who has, so they'll see TFA completely differently.

I was visiting with Mike Royer yesterday (who has not seen TFA yet) and he asked me if I saw the most recent Sherlock film on PBS. I said my wife and I did see it and enjoyed it a lot. He said he thought it was pretentious and self indulgent, and started pointing out little details and references that a die hard Conan Doyle Holmes fan would catch, but a casual fan would completely miss (which apparently we did).

2c

I liked Ren's hair but I too wanted him to die. Snoke has a funny name & would be great in LOTR, agreed. SW has had a lot of success with its strong villains. This movie took a different approach.