• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monstress by Liu and Takeda - Image Comics

77 posts in this topic

We bought the first trade at our LCS during FCBD, I really enjoyed everything about it.

The art, the story, characters.... literally everything. :applause: 

Edited by Hado

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:00 AM, aerischan said:

Saw this on ebay and goodness, why would you even bother slabbing a 7.5 if you're just selling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monstress-1-2015-Image-Comics-CGC-7-5-First-Print-/201880172634

Because the maybe the seller missed a defect  or got it in a pile of other books and he doesn't need it.

6 hours ago, Hado said:

We bought the first trade at our LCS during FCBD, I really enjoyed everything about it.

The art, the story, characters.... literally everything. :applause: 

Thanks to this thread, I also bought the first TPB of this last week (a steal at US$10), which includes #1 - #6. Just started it, really enjoying it. I'm sure I'm going to fly through it - question is whether I wait until mid-July for volume 2, or pickup 7-11 (I think 11 came out this week?) at my LCS :$

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

Just read 1-6. I'm a little surprised it isn't more popular than it is. Great writing/character development. The art drags you in as well.

Is the second trade out?

No, comes out in July 11 (final issue #12 comes out on May 31), so guess they need a little over a month to put the TPB together.

7 hours ago, I like pie said:

Just read 1-6. I'm a little surprised it isn't more popular than it is. Great writing/character development. The art drags you in as well.

Is the second trade out?

In fairness, the first TPB seems to be doing fairly well in the book market. :) 

BTW, picked up the 2nd trade this Wed (was wrong in previous post, came out July 5th, not July 11th :P). Loved it, basically couldn't put it down. Re-read the 1st trade just to get everything fresh in my mind again before starting the 2nd. 

I wasn't sure whether this was going to be a 12-book mini-series or not, but... (very small spoiler below)

Spoiler

... the end clearly finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger, and a "To Be Continued...", so I guess it's going to be a continuing series? 

Anyone heard of when book 13 is supposed to come out? 12 came out May 31st, and no mention of upcoming next book, so must be on a hiatus? Given Monstress' popularity, I'm sure Image will pick it up for continuation... no? 

2 hours ago, CKinTO said:

BTW, picked up the 2nd trade this Wed (was wrong in previous post, came out July 5th, not July 11th :P). Loved it, basically couldn't put it down. Re-read the 1st trade just to get everything fresh in my mind again before starting the 2nd. 

I wasn't sure whether this was going to be a 12-book mini-series or not, but... (very small spoiler below)

Reveal hidden contents

... the end clearly finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger, and a "To Be Continued...", so I guess it's going to be a continuing series? 

Anyone heard of when book 13 is supposed to come out? 12 came out May 31st, and no mention of upcoming next book, so must be on a hiatus? Given Monstress' popularity, I'm sure Image will pick it up for continuation... no? 

They took a break between issues 6 and 7 so I think it's a planned break between arcs and they'll pick it back up in a few months.

Yea, a rare combo when both the story / characters and the art are top-notch! One of the few books that I actually stop for a few seconds after reading each page to really look closely at the art!

I've got a #1 9.8 1st print for my personal collection, and now that I'm caught up, will probably buy the individual issues going forward. Probably my favorite book I've picked up in recent years! Thanks to this thread for the suggestion!

On 7/7/2017 at 4:26 AM, CKinTO said:

Hide contents

Monstress is on a Saga-like schedule with a few months hiatus between story arcs. Unlike other comic book publishers, with Image I believe it's the creators who decide whether they want to continue a series or not.

Mind, July 11 is the release date on Amazon. I find release dates for comic shops are typically one week ahead of Amazon release. Interesting observation, Barnes & Noble has an exclusive variant with poster for volume 2 and it seems like they were able to sell that a week earlier than the regular cover.

Edited by aerischan