• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The edowens71 Comic Journal
6 6

227 posts in this topic

aka...Diary of an EC Completist.

I decided I'll give this "collecting diary" thing a try...

The basic idea will be to chronicle the progress of my collection going forward. Perhaps I'll begin with a bit of a retrospective. Comments are welcome, of course!

I'll post some content as soon as I decide where/how I want to begin, and then I'll press ahead from there!

See more journals by edowens71

First, some self-reflection…why am I an EC completist? hm

Well, the completist part is the “easier” part to explain…that’s just my collecting style…always has been. Even in childhood, whether I was collecting comics, coins, stamps, Matchbox cars…whatever…I set completist goals. I remember going to the local comic shops as a kid, with my list of missing issues in hand, always with the goal of completing my runs. I don’t know any other way to do it.

Why EC? That’s harder to put a finger on...there are many reasons. It started in childhood (in the mid-to-late 1970s)…with Mad magazines. For some reason, I was drawn to them. I loved the humor and the art. Mind you, I also collected the typical super hero titles (Spidey, FF, Iron Man)...but thinking back, I had the most fun collecting Mads.

Generally speaking, when I did my childhood doodling, it wasn’t super hero stories I doodled…it was more likely to be some Don Martin’esque character from Mad, with a big nose, ears, and elongated chin….like this guy:

2802851981_22a2401744.jpg

Also, I was big on drawing out crazy/wacky death trap scenarios, like from the old Spy vs. Spy stories (anyone remember those?)...You know…like, there’s a pit a guy falls into…if he goes down one fork he lands in a room full of crocodiles…if he goes down the other fork, he falls into a vat of steaming acid…unless he grabs a piece of barbed wire hanging from the ceiling…. :screwy:

38658.jpg

One of my most memorable childhood Christmas gifts from my parents was a golden-age Mad comic…not the magazine…the comic. I was blown away…one of the most thoughtful gifts I can remember them giving me. Then, the next year at Christmas, they gave me another one…then a couple more. Over that handful of years, a Mad comic book was one of their go-to gift strategies...they gave me 5 golden age Mads in total….I still have them, of course:

MadsFromMom.jpg

Condition leaves something to be desired, but who cares…we’re talking small-town rural Georgia in the 1970s…it’s amazing that my parents even found these things. Just look at this wreck of a book :luhv: :

mad18b_f.jpg

A few years ago when I re-entered the comic collecting realm with real gusto, this background was the launching pad for where I headed and am still heading, although I didn’t realize it immediately…to be continued…

Another childhood dynamic that drew me ever closer to everlasting EC devotion involves my favorite artist to this day….Jack Davis:

Jack+and+cane.jpg

As a kid, Mad was the only EC title I collected…the non-Mad EC stuff wasn’t even on my radar screen. I had no idea at that time what awesome work Davis had done in all the other EC titles (Tales From the Crypt, in particular). Probably for the best, anyway (Wertham would have approved of my blissful childhood ignorance). All I knew was that Jack Davis was doing awesome stuff within the pages (and covers) of Mad magazine…and for the University of Georgia Bulldogs.

As I mentioned above, I grew up in Georgia…in a small town about 20 minutes away from Athens, which is the home of UGA. Needless to say, I was a fan of the university, as well as its football team…this was the era of Herschel Walker and national championships. No surprise that I wound up going there for undergrad. Well…guess who else is from Georgia and went to UGA for undergrad…JACK DAVIS! We’re practically related. :D

During my childhood, most of the marketing-type propaganda for the UGA football team was drawn by Jack Davis. In my room, among my posters of Cheryl Tiegs (remember the pink bikini :luhv: ), Farrah Fawcett, and Christie Brinkley, hung lots of posters of Jack Davis artwork…like these (images from georgiamuseum.org):

home_cartoon.jpg

sidebar-jd-bulldog.jpg

Remove the football uniform from Hairy Dawg, and imagine how much he would resemble a Jack Davis werewolf from Tales From the Crypt. I would say that it was Davis’ UGA artwork (which I was constantly surrounded by), more so that his artwork in Mad, that wound up leaving a lasting imprint…now, when I look at his broader EC portfolio, everything resonates.

For the rest of the backstory, we need to fast forward. I took a little break from collecting comics…well, more than a little…the break was circa 1985-2011. During this time, my childhood collection remained dormant but intact…in storage. Long story short, in late 2011/early 2012, the collecting fire re-ignited.

At that point, I had still not yet realized that I was going to become an EC completist. Actually, I went a different direction…working towards completing my silver age Marvel hero runs. The first book I purchased during my collecting renaissance was ASM #1. I finished Daredevil, TOS, X-Men…. came a handful of books shy of finishing FF, and one book (#6) shy of finishing ASM. I also worked on completing the early Mad comic run. I began dabbling in some other Golden Age collecting tangents (some of which I’m still pursuing...I’ll save that story for a later time).

I was loving my new GA Mads so much, I thought…why not expand my reach into some other EC titles? So, I picked up a few issues of Panic….EC’s own Mad imitator. I loved them. Then, I bought a stack of Frontline Combat issues…loved them. I started reading more about the history of EC comics…particularly the early years, before Bill Gaines…that's when the final pieces of the puzzle came together, and I became a fully committed EC Fan Addict....

...to be continued...

You can read all about Max Gaines, Bill Gaines, and the history of EC Comics for yourselves...it’s fascinating. Here, I’ll just highlight a few points that finally helped turn me from simply a fan of Mad and Jack Davis to a fan of EC at large.

Max was a pioneer in the comics industry.

Gaines-.jpg

After involvement with DC and All-American Publications, Max founded EC as Educational Comics in 1945. Max had little interest in the superhero genre, and seemingly wanted to focus on comics as an educational medium…thus the name Educational Comics.

When Max left All-American/National once and for all to start his own company, the one single title he took with him to serve as the foundation of EC was Picture Stories from the Bible. Then, he created Picture Stories from American History, Picture Stories from World History, and Picture Stories from Science.

Max's EC was also involved in publishing promotional comics with an educational theme…EC published several religious promos for the Lutheran church, a promo comic for the Department of Education of the American Museum of Natural History, promo comics about sexually transmitted diseases, and a bunch of promos about electricity and how to use it.

This man apparently wanted to be an educator through the comics medium…that resonates with me…I’m a college professor.

In fact, before the EC completist epiphany hit me, I went through a phase where I was toying with the idea of collecting golden age fact-based and educational comics (with a lowercase e and c)...you know, a bunch of educational promos, Real Life Comics, Real Fact Comics, etc.

Then, the connection to EC and its educational origins hit me...more things resonating, with multiple layers of collecting interests being satisfied and reinforced within this one publisher..,

:idea:

But, those aren't the only layers that fascinate me about EC....there are more....and that leads us into the era of Bill Gaines...

I'll eventually arrive at the portion of this journal where I'll start laying out the extent of my EC completist progress....not too much longer.

In the mean time, I feel that I need to elaborate on the "Cheryl Tiegs pink bikini reference" up above. For those of you who weren't adolescent boys in 1978 and therefore may not understand that reference, I just want to make sure we're all staying on the same page...

:luhv:

51XygtztApL._SY355_.jpg

OK...shake it off...back to Bill.

William_Gaines.jpg

Bill Gaines…what to say about Bill…he’s the man. Went to the draft board and requested to be drafted in WWII. Went to NYU, set on becoming a chemistry teacher (influenced by his father’s passion for education, I’m guessing hm ).

Father Max gets killed while Bill is a junior in college, and like a “good” son, he gives up his ambition of becoming a teacher and takes over his father’s business. Well, he changes the name from Educational Comics to Entertaining Comics, and procedes to hire some of the best artists in the industry, and turns them loose with their creativity.

Sure, I’m biased, but the EC comics under Bill’s reign in the early 1950s generated some of the best comic art and most intelligent stories in comic history.

Well, Congress didn’t agree :D . This brings us to the final layer of my fascination with EC. I’m intrigued by the history of comic censorship in the 1950’s. A few years ago, I went through a SOTI/POP collecting phase because of this fascination. Of course, EC was right in the middle of this censorship situation. In fact, it was the censorship movement that led to the demise of EC….essentially because Bill didn't want to compromise his content.

So, during the Senate subcommittee hearings, Bill basically told the powers that be to go :censored: themselves. I love it. (worship)

He tried a few things under the new Code, but it didn’t work out. From that point on, he decided to put all his eggs into Mad Magazine, which didn’t fall under the censorship purview.

So...EC even gives me a collecting outlet that taps into my interest in the censorship movement…EC hits so many touchpoints for me, it's irresistible.

So, I'm an EC completist...that's my primary collecting goal. Once I realized this (a couple/few years ago), I still needed to define the boundaries...where does it start and end? What is included and what is not?

I'll pick back up there next time...

Good stuff Ed. I was 15 in 1978, and I certainly recall that poster. lol

I'm sure you've read it, but the history you digested here is told very well in the book The Ten Cent Plague. There was a similar public discussion of the evils of comics here in Australia. I'll dig out an Australian reprint of Two Fisted Tales later that has an example of the publisher's response to moves to ban certain content.

So, how to define my EC completist boundaries……

First, where do I start? Well, at the beginning of Educational Comics, of course! Problem is, this isn’t as straightforward as it may seem, because of Max Gaines’ history in the comics industry that precedes his founding of EC.

Max Gaines’ first company was All-American Publishing, which he founded in 1938. Max got some of his initial funding from Harry Donenfeld, the CEO of both National Allied Publications and DC. One of the conditions of this funding was that Max had to take on Jack Liebowitz (a partner at DC) as his partner at All-American. So, Max entered some sort of complicated, convoluted relationship with DC comics, where they were doing cross-funding and cross-marketing between his company (All-American Publishing) and DC. Indeed, for marketing reasons, Max used the DC logo on most of his All-American titles (including all the Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman-related comics in the early 1940s)...although the titles were still owned by Max and All-American Publishing...not by DC.

The story narrative varies slightly across different sources, but basically, around the close of 1944, Max and the National/DC crew had a falling out. So, beginning in February 1945, Max started publishing his All-American titles under the logo of his company, All-American Publishing.

All-AmericanComics_logo.jpg

For example, look at these consecutive issues of Wonder Woman...issue #11 from Dec. 1944 has the DC logo, and issue #12 from Mar. 1945 has the All-American logo (images from mycomicshop.com):

741845.jpg741859.jpg

Max continued publishing his All-American titles under the All-American logo throughout 1945. However, to complicate matters, it looks like in February 1945 he also started publishing Picture Stories from the Bible under his newly founded Educational Comics header (the 5th printing of the Complete Old Testament Edition lists a publication date of Feb. 1945, and the indicia lists the publisher as Educational Comics). So, basically, at the beginning of 1945, Max started publishing all of the former All-American/DC titles except Picture Stories of the Bible under All-American Publications, and started publishing Picture Stories of the Bible under Educational Comics. At the end of 1945, Max officially sold all of his All-American titles back to Jack Liebowitz/DC. In December, 1945, all of the former All-American titles (e.g., Sensation Comics, All-Flash) were once again published under the DC logo...DC officially owned them now. Let's continue the Wonder Woman example to see this second transition...issue #14 from Sept. 1945 still has the All-American logo, and issue #15 from Dec. 1945 returns to the DC logo (images from mycomicshop.com):

741851.jpg741865.jpg

(a side note: I've always thought it would be a neat collecting set to go after all of the books that have the All-American logo on the cover...they're all in 1945, and they include some heavyweight titles...but, again...these All-American titles aren't EC comics, so they aren't on my list)

So, as of December 1945, Max was free…he continued publishing Picture Stories from the Bible under the logo of his new company, Educational Comics, and he developed the rest of his EC stable of titles. This is where I start my list.

100px-Eclogo.jpeg

So, take note that it is impossible for anything published before 1945 to be an EC comic book…the company did not yet exist. I have seen some of Max Gaines’ early work incorrectly referenced as an EC publication. For example, Narrative Illustration (1942) is often referenced as an EC publication– this is just flat wrong. EC literally did not exist until 3 years later. It’s an awesome book, and a grail for a “Max Gaines completist,” but it’s not an EC publication. Same thing with Max’s book Good Triumphs Over Evil (1943). Even CGC gets it wrong on the labels (images from Jim Halperin's site):

narrativeillustration001.jpggoodtriumphsoverevil001.jpg

I don't know who technically published these, but don't see how it could have been EC...as far as I know, there was no such company when these books were published in 1942 and 1943. Therefore, they aren’t on my list.

The confusing/tedious delineation relating to the Picture Stories from the Bible situation is a nightmare to sort out. It's the only title that Max published as an EC comic that was also published under the DC and All-American logos (remember that this is the single title that Max retained when he sold out to Liebowitz in the Fall of 1945). I’ll tackle this nightmare in my next post...

At the birth of EC, there was Picture Stories from the Bible...but this title likewise existed before the birth of EC. Which ones are EC, and which are not? What a mess to disentangle :eek: I've tried...

CGC messes this up on labels, the CGC registry and census are all screwed up, and other sources are likewise confused. But, to finalize my EC completist list, I had to figure this out. Here's my best shot at it....

WARNING: This is going to get tedious...if you're reading this journal, you're just going to have to tough it out through this post...suck it up [laugh]

Old Testament:

There is a four-issue "Old Testament" series in 1943 - these are NOT EC comics...they are All-American/DC issues, and they carry the DC logo.

There is a two-issue "Old Testament" series in 1946, which reprints the 1943 series, with different covers. These two issues ARE indeed EC comics, and carry the EC logo.

There was a huge volume called the "Complete Old Testament," which put all four 1943 issues into a single book. This tome was published in nine different printings, with the first printing in December 1943, and the ninth printing sometime in 1947/1948 (I have a copy of the ninth printing, and there's no date anywhere in it...the eight printing was Jan. 1947, so I'm making an educated guess). So, the first 4 printings were pre-EC (i.e., pre-1945). The fifth printing (Feb. 1945) was the transition...I have one copy of the 5th printing where the indicia makes no reference to Educational Comics, and another copy of the 5th printing where the indicia lists Educational Comics as the publisher. Then, printings 6, 7, 8, and 9 were published by EC. So, only printings 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 make my EC completist list.

New Testament:

There is a three book "New Testament" series, that is a case study in that logo transition I described earlier. The first book has a DC logo, the second book has an All-American logo, and the third book has an EC logo. However, there's an anomaly here...although the second issue carries the All-American logo (not the EC logo), the interior indicia lists Educational Comics as the publisher. So, the second and third issues both technically make the list, and the first issue does not. However, the first issue was reprinted in 1946, and that 1946 reprint is an EC publication, so the reprint of #1 makes the list:

There is also a larger volume called the "Complete Life of Christ Edition," There were two printings of this volume (one with and one without a cover price)...although the interior indicia lists a copyright date of 1944, the printings of this volume happened later...there's an interior story that lists a copyright date of 1945. Also, there's an ad on the last interior page for Picture Stories from American History, which was clearly an EC publication. So, I'm classifying these volumes as EC publications....so, they are on the list.

Finally, there is a larger volume called the "Complete New Testament" edition, which reprints all three New Testament issues in one book. There were three printings, but only the second and third have an "Educational Comics" reference on the back cover. However, all three printings contain a back cover ad for the 65-cent cover price printing of the Complete Old Testament, which were the printings after the creation of EC. So, I consider all three printings of the Complete New Testament to be EC publications, so they are on the list.

Whew: :insane:

So, then...to summarize, I have 15 entries on the list as the Picture Stories from the Bible issues that were published by EC, as follows:

Old Testament #1 (1946)

Old Testament #2 (1946)

Complete Old Testament, printings 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9

New Testament #2 (1945)

New Testament #3 (1946)

New Testament #1 (1946 reprint)

Complete New Testament, printings 1, 2, and 3

Complete Life of Christ, 25-cent variant and blank-price variant

(note: research done by BIP Comics was extremely helpful in helping me sort this out...you can check out that site here: http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/PictureStoriesFromTheBible/ )

Of course, all the other "non-EC" Picture Stories of the Bible issues would be cool to have (and I have many of them), but that's a side project, technically speaking. ;)

It gets easier after this lol . All the issues of all the other EC titles are clearly emblazoned with the EC logo...no question about it.

Next decision on the table....where in time to end the list? The longevity of Mad magazine is what complicates this next decision...

Edited by edowens71

Good stuff - I'm in for the ride.

I like these "journey of a collector" yarns (except when MM does them lol ).

I have lots of questions and observations but I'll hold off in order not to interrupt the narrative.

Please carry on :applause:

:hi: Thanks for reading!

Give me a couple more posts to finish laying out my full EC completist list and the rationale behind it, and then I'll be happy to take questions. :D

So, where’s the end?

Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority.gif

Well, the Comics Code (formed in 1954) was the beginning of the end. Among other things, the Code forbade the words “crime,” “horror,” and “terror” in comic titles, and banned vampires, werewolves, and zombies. So, this obviously made ECs stable of successful crime and horror titles no longer viable.

So, when the Code became effective in early 1955, Gaines shut down all the “New Trend” titles (except for Mad), converted Mad to a magazine format (magazines were not subject to the Code), launched EC’s Code-friendly set of “New Direction” titles, and launched a handful of “Picto-Fiction” magazines to handle crime and horror content (again, these magazines weren’t subject to the Code).

Good strategy, I suppose...not sure what else Bill should have done…but the New Direction titles and Picto-Fiction magazines did not fly. Gaines shut all of those titles down in early 1956. The last issue of the New Direction comics was Incredible Science-Fiction #33 in February 1956, and the last publication of the Picto-Fiction magazines happened one month later in March 1956. If it weren’t for Mad magazine, this would provide a nice, neat, and tidy closing point to the completist list. But, Mad didn’t stop, and it still hasn’t stopped. Where do I stop?

Well, I’m certainly not going to add 60 years worth of Mad magazines to my collection lol , so I have to stop somewhere…

Should I just exclude Mad magazines from the list, I asked myself? That is, make my EC completist list consist of all of the EC comics (including Mad 1-23), plus the Picto-Fiction magazines? I didn’t like this, because those early Mad magazines (especially just after the transition from the comic book form) are very interesting and historically relevant…and remember, Mad magazine is where this all started for me back in childhood. No, I can’t simply exclude all Mad magazines….

Should I cut them off at issue #100? That’s a nice round number…the centennial! No, that seems too arbitrary. hm

Well, after thinking through several other logical possibilities, I decided that for the purposes of the edowens71 EC completist list, I’m cutting off the Mad magazine run pretty early…I’m stopping with issue #30, published in December 1956. Why? Several reasons, in no particular order…

• As my collecting has evolved over the past few years, I've gotten less and less interested in Silver Age and beyond...I must admit, I'm essentially a Golden Age collector now, and December 1956 approximately coincides with the beginning of the Silver Age;
  • As I point out above, all the other EC titles ended in 1956, so it seems like a natural break point on that basis, as well;
  • Harvey Kurtzman was the founding editor of Mad in 1952. Guess what year Kurtzman left Mad....yep, 1956. So, from an editorial perspective, 1956 represents an important historical shift in the direction of Mad magazine...in fact, issue #30 was the last issue that had the Kurtzman/Elder drawn frame border on the cover;
  • Issue #30 is an iconic issue...it's the first full-cover appearance of Alfred E. Neuman...I can't leave that out.

So, it all lines up on December, 1956...that's the endpoint of my EC completist goal.

Almost done with the setup...but not quite. In the next couple of posts, I'll address two other decisions I needed to make in terms of what to include on my list...the annuals and the promos...

When I was in the process of committing to EC completion, for some reason I briefly debated whether or not to include the Annuals...

To be specific, there were 7 EC annuals back in the day:

• Tales of Terror Annuals 1, 2, and 3;
  • Two-Fisted Tales Annuals 1 and 2;
  • Weird Science-Fantasy Annuals 1 and 2.

Basically, these annuals consisted of unsold copies of four regular EC titles from the year of the annual...these unsold copies were rebound into the annual format (with new cover art) and sold from the EC offices and newsstands in key cities.

Here's the kicker...since Bill was just shoving four unsold books into these annuals, the content of each copy of a given annual issue can vary (e.g., a given copy that you pick up of Tales of Terror Annual #3 will be comprised of 4 regular EC issues from 1952...the next copy of Tales of Terror Annual #3 you pick up will likely be comprised of a different 4-issue combination from 1952...and you don't know what's in your copy until you open it up and see).

Someone once kidded me that if I was truly going to be an EC completist, then I need to get every permutation of 4-book combinations for every annual. Ummmmm......no. :makepoint: One representative copy of each Annual will do just fine. :grin:

In retrospect, I'm not sure why I ever thought about not including them...perhaps because the contents duplicate regular issues. But...the covers are new, and the annuals are awesome. So, no question about it...they are on the list.

Next decision (which has already been decided in the affirmative)...should I include the promos? I'll elaborate on that next...

Today, promotional comics are often overlooked, neglected, ignored by us collectors....sure, they have their own section in the OSPG, but how many of really ever spend any time in the promo section?

Well, I suppose that this is a small part of the reason why I originally had a short debate with myself...should I include the EC promo comics in my collecting goal? They seem to be different...not like "regular" comics...

But, then I realized that the EC promo comics perhaps strike closest to the heart of the origins of EC as Educational Comics. There were 14 promotional comics published by EC from the company's inception through the end of 1956 (there were also 4 Reddy Kilowatt reprints after 1956...but those aren't on my official list, because my list ends in December 1956, as discussed earlier):

Desert Dawn

Out of the Past a Clue to the Future

The Wonders of Wire Rope

The Church that was Built with Bread

The KO Punch

Across the Seas in a War Torn World

Lucky Fights it Through

Reddy Kilowatt issues 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2c, 3A, and 3B

(again, BIP Comics provides a good reference, if you're interested: http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/ec.php )

These promo comics contain educational content related to natural history, public affairs, religion, sexually transmitted disease, electricity, among other things...this is the true spirit of the foundations of Max Gaines' EC, and this spirit is one my key attractions to EC comics (I'm an educator, remember?). How can I not include them?

Well, one good reason is that some of these EC promos are the most brutally tough books to find that you can ever imagine. Including them on the list may just prove to be my undoing. It's a stretch goal. Some of them don't even show up in the OSPG promo section. For some of them, I have only seen a single copy in existence...safely tucked away in Jim Halperin's collection.

But, they are on my completist list. :sumo:

It'll be interesting to see how many years/decades it takes to track them all down. :wishluck: My kids may have to finish the job :D

The only other thing to consider was whether to include foreign (i.e., non-USA) EC variants. The most prominent strand in that regard are the Canadian reprints published by Superior (which includes the ultra-rare three-issue Weird SuspenStories title). But, the answer is NO...not going down that road. These books were not technically published by EC, so they aren't on the list.

At last, with all of this setup, I am prepared to write out my version of "The EC Completist Collecting Checklist"....in the next post....

So, to summarize...the Official edowens71 EC Completist Checklist consists of ALL (USA) EC publications (including annuals, promos, and magazines) from the inception of EC in 1945 through December 1956, inclusive.

:news:The list consists of 470 individual issues, as follows...this is my collecting goal:

Promotional Comics (14 issues total):

Across the Seas in a War Torn World

Church that was Built with Bread

Desert Dawn

KO Punch

Lucky Fights it Through

Out of the Past a Clue to the Future

Reddy Kilowatt issues 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2c, 3A, and 3B

Wonders of Wire Rope

Pre-Trend Titles (130 issues total):

Animal Fables #1-7

Animated Comics #1

Blackstone the Magician Detective Fights Crime #1

Crime Patrol #7-16

Dandy Comics #1-7

Fat and Slat #1-4

Gunfighter #5-14

Happy Houlihans #1-2

International Comics #1-5

International Crime Patrol #6

Land of the Lost #1-9

Modern Love #1-8

Moon Girl and the Prince #1

Moon Girl #2-6

Moon Girl Fights Crime! #7-8

A Moon, a Girl...Romance #9-12

Picture Stories from the Bible Old Testament (1946) #1-2

Picture Stories from the Bible Complete Old Testament, printings 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9

Picture Stories from the Bible New Testament #2-3

Picture Stories from the Bible New Testament #1 (1946 reprint)

Picture Stories from the Bible Complete New Testament, printings 1, 2, and 3

Picture Stories from the Bible Complete Life of Christ, 25-cent variant, blank price variant

Picture Stories from American History #1-4

Picture Stories from Science #1-2

Picture Stories from World History #1-2

Saddle Justice #3-8

Saddle Romances #9-11

Tiny Tot Comics #1-10

War Against Crime! #1-11

New Trend Titles (283 issues total):

Crime SuspenStories #15(1); #1-27

Crypt of Terror #17-19

Frontline Combat #1-15

Haunt of Fear #15(1)-17(3); #4-28

Mad #1-30 (inc. 3 cover variants of issue #28)

Panic #1-12

Piracy #1-7

Shock SuspenStories #1-18

Tales From the Crypt #20-46

Tales of Terror Annual #1-3

Three Dimensional E.C. Classics #1

Three Dimensional Tales from the Crypt of Terror #1

Two-Fisted Tales #18-41

Two-Fisted Tales Annual #1-2

Vault of Horror #12-40

Weird Fantasy #13(1)-17(5); #6-22

Weird Science #12(1)-14(3); #4-22