• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA correction report

335 posts in this topic

Win (that's Sqeggs...he was never nice, but he did have an epic beard)

RMA, I swear to you that this is not correct. Believe me, a bunch of us Ebay old-timers have been trying to figure out who Sqeggs is. Really, he sold some killer books that Win wishes he ever had in his possession.

He's made some snarky comments to me that only Win would know. If it's not Win, Sqeggs is being incredibly presumptuous, pretending to know me.

I'm positive it's Win, and the only doubt I have is seeing you express doubt.

It's possible that it's someone else, but Win was the only one back then who had an issue with me. Otherwise, it's a Johnny-come-lately who thinks he knows, but doesn't.

Maybe that's why he won't tell us who he is?

RMA, I swear to you that this is not correct. Believe me, a bunch of us Ebay old-timers have been trying to figure out who Sqeggs is. Really, he sold some killer books that Win wishes he ever had in his possession.

He's made some snarky comments to me that only Win would know. If it's not Win, Sqeggs is being incredibly presumptuous, pretending to know me.

I'm positive it's Win, and the only doubt I have is seeing you express doubt.

It's possible that it's someone else, but Win was the only one back then who had an issue with me. Otherwise, it's a Johnny-come-lately who thinks he knows, but doesn't.

Maybe that's why he won't tell us who he is?

That's just silly. I've never hid my identity across the realms of comic boards over the years.

I'll always be Timdrake72.

And why haven't I been invited to this "eBay old-timers" convention?

:o

Why, I NEVER!

Harumph!

No convention silly, just PMs and emails. Win has never lived and does not currently live in Pennslyvania.

I wonder who the first person to post on the board was. That was when it was just the scroll-y thing. I know I was probably 3rd or 4th, if that.

March of 1999 I want to say.

I think Shira said it was closer to Valentine's Day 1999? Can't remember exactly.

And you forgot Catrick and Mutant Manatee (oh the huge manatee!)

There's a great difference between a mistake and choice.

He made a choice. And that choice was a mistake.

Again...there's a difference between a choice to do wrong, and a mistake of happenstance. If you want to say all choices to do wrong are "mistakes", that's fine, but that doesn't change the basic difference between genuine mistakes and choices to do wrong.

He made a choice to do wrong which was a mistake.

This is great, but the "mistakes" didn't do anything for charity.

Ultimately, it was the donors that did something for charity. But, at least in my case, I wouldn't have even thought about donating were it not for this thread. And the root of this thread at some level was a mistake

That lemons were turned into lemonade does not negate the existence of the lemons in the first place.

Nobody said otherwise

That is the sort of post you like to read, because it lets you off the hook without having to admit to anything. That's completely natural, and understandable, but ultimately is to your detriment.

Your continued unwillingness to admit that you made bad choices, rather than "mistakes", guarantees this will happen in the future.

I didn't let him off the hook; I said he made a mistake.

There's a difference..?

hm

Yup.

And I won't make claims to guarantee what he will or won't do in the future; I doubt you even know for certain if you will ever repeat one of your own mistakes.

So...resorting to hyperbole for the sake of argument...I murder someone, and I later feel great remorse for my action, and swear, even if just to myself, to never do it again...I don't know for certain that I'll never repeat that "mistake", as you refer to it?

Yes. It's the "for certain" part that makes that clear for me

Let's say he says everything you want him to...will you then know what he will do next time? No, you won't. But if you and others genuinely feel you are doing a greater good (for him, for the hobby, mankind, etc.) by continuing to beat this man down, to force him to see the error of his ways, then by all means do so.

Your mistake is that you think I am trying to "beat this man down."

It would also be a mistake to think that wanting someone to say something because they, themselves, came to that conclusion, and saying something solely to "get out of the crossfire" is the same thing.

Wouldn't be my first mistake. And won't be my last. Which was my initial point, that we ALL make choices to do wrong/mistakes/whatever you want to call it. Once you've been called out (which has occured countless times at this point), at what point is enough enough? At what point can it simply be left up to the initial choice/mistake maker to learn from it? Once a nail has been hammered all the way, to continue hammering it only makes noise not progress.

Wouldn't be my first mistake. And won't be my last. Which was my initial point, that we ALL make choices to do wrong/mistakes/whatever you want to call it. Once you've been called out (which has occured countless times at this point), at what point is enough enough?

I think you've missed the times when CAK re-escalated the whole thing by saying inflammatory things. Like when things were wrapping up, he said "I never screwed anyone over". And then when that flap was dying down a bit, he took credit for the $1550 in donations. It seems like every time he gets called out it's for something different.

Why, I NEVER!

Harumph!

No convention silly, just PMs and emails. Win has never lived and does not currently live in Pennslyvania.

I wonder who the first person to post on the board was. That was when it was just the scroll-y thing. I know I was probably 3rd or 4th, if that.

I think Shira said it was closer to Valentine's Day 1999? Can't remember exactly.

I didn't forget MM! That's Dubb-T, the second person on my list!

I DID forget Catrick...sorry Rickster! How could I forget the great one??

:cloud9:

It was sometime in early 1999, that's for sure.

So cool to be part of something from the very beginning. We have all these comic nerds beat.

:D

There's a great difference between a mistake and choice.

He made a choice. And that choice was a mistake.

Again...there's a difference between a choice to do wrong, and a mistake of happenstance. If you want to say all choices to do wrong are "mistakes", that's fine, but that doesn't change the basic difference between genuine mistakes and choices to do wrong.

He made a choice to do wrong which was a mistake.

This is great, but the "mistakes" didn't do anything for charity.

Ultimately, it was the donors that did something for charity. But, at least in my case, I wouldn't have even thought about donating were it not for this thread. And the root of this thread at some level was a mistake

That lemons were turned into lemonade does not negate the existence of the lemons in the first place.

Nobody said otherwise

That is the sort of post you like to read, because it lets you off the hook without having to admit to anything. That's completely natural, and understandable, but ultimately is to your detriment.

Your continued unwillingness to admit that you made bad choices, rather than "mistakes", guarantees this will happen in the future.

I didn't let him off the hook; I said he made a mistake.

There's a difference..?

hm

Yup.

And I won't make claims to guarantee what he will or won't do in the future; I doubt you even know for certain if you will ever repeat one of your own mistakes.

So...resorting to hyperbole for the sake of argument...I murder someone, and I later feel great remorse for my action, and swear, even if just to myself, to never do it again...I don't know for certain that I'll never repeat that "mistake", as you refer to it?

Yes. It's the "for certain" part that makes that clear for me

Let's say he says everything you want him to...will you then know what he will do next time? No, you won't. But if you and others genuinely feel you are doing a greater good (for him, for the hobby, mankind, etc.) by continuing to beat this man down, to force him to see the error of his ways, then by all means do so.

Your mistake is that you think I am trying to "beat this man down."

It would also be a mistake to think that wanting someone to say something because they, themselves, came to that conclusion, and saying something solely to "get out of the crossfire" is the same thing.

Wouldn't be my first mistake. And won't be my last. Which was my initial point, that we ALL make choices to do wrong/mistakes/whatever you want to call it. Once you've been called out (which has occured countless times at this point), at what point is enough enough? At what point can it simply be left up to the initial choice/mistake maker to learn from it? Once a nail has been hammered all the way, to continue hammering it only makes noise not progress.

It's difficult to respond to your posts, because of the way you format them.

But no, letting him off the hook by calling what he does a "mistake" instead of a deliberate choice is what happened.

And no, you would also be mistaken if you believe that "once you've been called out, that's the end of it." Not when the person being "called out" refuses, as Stu says, to acknowledge any responsibility, and worse, doubles down.

If CAK stopped digging the hole, people wouldn't be telling him to stop digging, for his good.

You call it "hammering"...I call it "throwing a ladder into the hole." If that's my perspective, why on EARTH would you want it to stop?

It's all about perspective, isn't it?

Why, I NEVER!

Harumph!

JMG was there early too, he's on this board.

So cool to be part of something from the very beginning. We have all these comic nerds beat.

It was new and exciting at the time (for me at least). Hard to believe that Ebay had a Pink (Mod) dedicated to Comics, and that that Pink (Shira) set up a party for the Chat Board people in San Diego 2000. She gave us free drinks and food at the billiards parlor :thumbsup: She also invited a special mystery guest. That person was...................

Steve Borock, 6 months after opening CGC.

Why, I NEVER!

Harumph!

It was new and exciting at the time (for me at least). Hard to believe that Ebay had a Pink (Mod) dedicated to Comics, and that that Pink (Shira) set up a party for the Chat Board people in San Diego 2000. She gave us free drinks and food at the billiards parlor :thumbsup: She also invited a special mystery guest. That person was...................

Steve Borock, 6 months after opening CGC.

That was when I was a wuss about "meeting strangers online." I should have gone. I still regret that.

He was...?

I don't remember him. Sorry JMG!

I met him and his family at SD 2000, so maybe not super early on, but early enough that I already "knew" him at SD

I DO remember the guys whose names I can never remember, from Australia.

Yeah, same here. His name was Kim (Kimball), her name was... Caerwyn?