• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between original comic art pages

11 posts in this topic

might want to check with the seller to see if they have any detail about Choi's process.

My guess is that Choi's final pencils (your page) get scanned and sent to the inker. His rough pencils are too "dirty" for scanning and inking (though I would think a good inker could do it, this may be more about the marvel process)

usually rough pencils are valued less than final pencils.

BUT, rough pencils are also usually not done done on the same 11x17 scale.

I usually see pencil roughs in 8.5x11 and they're fall rougher than the one you posted.

I might try to buy that page too, since it'd be cool to display them side by side as an "artist process" example.

The firsts one is considered the "finish" and is more desirable of the two.

I've had a few Choi pages from this series where the rest of production is done digitally. Only the pencils finish is the final art.

My Choi page

Since there isn't an inked version, I went ahead and did it myself on a blue line print....

My inks on Choi blue line

It makes me wonder if things have changed and if the inking is also done digitally these days. Any inker of any skill could easily have inked the original page and I find the "finished" pencil page unnecessary.

Choi would have to lightbox over his original pencilled rough page to create the "final pencils".

I also like the rougher page better, I like to be able to see the creation process in the pencils, to see construction lines and also to see what type of penciller the artist is.

Interesting to note:

Even on the rougher page I can see that he has previously drawn some of the elements on yet another page before it and lightboxed to the rougher page. As an example: X-23's face in the third panel is far to clean and to "perfect" to have been drawn on that page ( if it was drawn on that page it would look like the other parts of the page ).

Am I wrong for liking the rough better? Looks less... computer-y...

I was thinking the same thing. Back in the day, the bottom page would be the finished pencils page! lol

It makes me wonder if things have changed and if the inking is also done digitally these days. Any inker of any skill could easily have inked the original page and I find the "finished" pencil page unnecessary.

Choi would have to lightbox over his original pencilled rough page to create the "final pencils".

If I'm understanding the process here, the "final pencils" are not just the final pencils ready to be inked. Those are the final line work that's then colored. There's no ink (digital or otherwise.) In his process, the pencils are the "ink." Which means he himself did what you're describing- Worked from the roughs to create finished art.

If I'm understanding the process here, the "final pencils" are not just the final pencils ready to be inked. Those are the final line work that's then colored. There's no ink (digital or otherwise.) In his process, the pencils are the "ink." Which means he himself did what you're describing- Worked from the roughs to create finished art.

(thumbs u