• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 122

30 posts in this topic

This was my latest commission for another board member.

I'm definitely improving with each one.

I'd SO love to keep this one for myself. devil.gif

Anyway. I took progressive photos as I worked on this cover recreation, so those that have PM'd me with interest can see how I do it, and the tools I use. I'll post those later tonight. thumbsup2.gif

In the meantime...Here it is...

asm122.jpg

Anyway. I took progressive photos as I worked on this cover recreation, so those that have PM'd me with interest can see how I do it, and the tools I use. I'll post those later tonight. thumbsup2.gif

asm122.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

asm122.jpg

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

It looks Maaarvelous! (insert Billy Crystal voice)

And it's all mine. yay.gif

Seriously, thanks Dice! It looks beautiful.

It looks Maaarvelous! (insert Billy Crystal voice)

And it's all mine. yay.gif

Seriously, thanks Dice! It looks beautiful.

Glad you like it.

It actually looks better in person.

I'll ship it out on Monday. thumbsup2.gif

Very nice.... thumbsup2.gif

When will the lessons switch to colouring? poke2.gifstooges.gif

I love to do coloring.

If you want to learn, I'd be glad to give you some info. gossip.gif

For those that were curious...here's the progression of how I do a cover recreation.

1) All work is done on 3 ply Bristol. Bristol is bone white and acid free. First I do *all* the lettering, since it takes a long time to do it. Most of it is done with tech pens. There are disposable ones available called "ZIG", which are permanent and leave a similar finish to the india ink I use for the artwork. Sharpies are not precise enough and have a dull finish. Work done with a sharpie stands out like a sore thumb. I start with the banner and do all the *square* letters with a ruler. I also knock out the price box and CCA stamp.

01.jpg

2) The *round* letters are done freehand. I could use a curve, but it's nearly impossible to get a perfect match. I sketch them in with a fine point (005) ZIG, then use a larger (03) after it gets the correct shape. The sketching is kept to the outside of the letters, since it's going to be filled in with solid black. I don't use any paste on stats as they look bad after they've aged. I want the picture to look nice for as long as possible. The price and CCA letters are all done freehand as well because the letters are too small to use a curve.

02.jpg

3) The banner is filled in with solid black using a brush and "Speedball Super Black India Ink". The type of ink is imperative as you want something that goes on completely opaque. The worst thing in the world is a muddy or brownish ink. Speedball is the blackest ink available. At this point, I use a ZIG (08) to *frame* the picture.

03.jpg

4) All the letters for the word balloons are done freehand with a ZIG (05) and (08).

04.jpg

5) The word balloons are done with a ZIG (08) and a flexible french curve.

05.jpg

6) Next is one of the toughest parts. "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN" is nightmare lettering. First of all, it's open with only an outline. Second...it's curved. I start out by making my flexible french curve fit the top and bottom shape of the letters, and point out the straight areas with a ZIG (08).

06.jpg

7) I use a ruler to finish the straight letters. Unfortunately, the "G" is still too small to get the curve to bend to fit it, so it is done by hand. This is where it is unforgiving because there is no solid area around it to help cover up the mistakes. I can only hope to get it perfect, or at least keep the mistakes to a bare minimum and use white acrylic paint to cover them up. The "G" turned out pretty nice, so I got lucky.

07.jpg

8) The same as above. The straight letters are not too bad, but the curved ones have to be done freehand. I goofed in a couple of spots and white paint was necessary. At least they were just a few tiny dots. At this point I do the small Spider-Man for the logo with a combination of ZIG (005) (01) and (03) sizes, as well as a fine #2 sable brush.

08.jpg

9) The webbing for the logo is done freehand with a ZIG (01), and the circle around the Logo Spidey with a ZIG (05) and a circle template.

09.jpg

10) I finish the lettering at the bottom with a ZIG (08). I chose to do that freehand as well because of the irregular shapes.

10.jpg

11) After roughly 5 to 6 hours worth of work thus far, the fun can finally begin! I work from foreground to background so I can keep the sense of depth. Gobby is closest, so he's first. I went to the art supply store to buy a few new brushes and found a "Kolinsablon" #3. It was fantastic! The only thing I didn't like was it took a while to work it to a point. But man, does it lay down a nice line of ink. I still think I prefer a nice Sable brush, but those are quite expensive and my local art supply store doesn't carry the kind I use. Still, for a sub $10 brush, it was pretty sweet. Sorry I got off track a bit. I start inking Gobby. This was about the point where I stopped working on it the first day. Good thing it was Sunday and there was no Nascar race. grin.gif

11.jpg

12) Gobby is close to being finished. Pretty much everything was done with the #3 brush. A few tiny touchups with a ZIG (005), but everything else is done with the brush.

12.jpg

13) Time for Spidey and Gwen. Again, all done with the #3 brush. I used the ZIG (005) for quite a bit of Gwen's face, as I couldn't get the brush to make a razor sharp point. Her face was just too important to risk an error.

13.jpg

14) The explosions are done with the #3 brush. Straight lines with a ZIG (03) and the curve.

14.jpg

15) The bridge under Spidey's feet is done freehand with various sizes of ZIG pens. The boat dock behind him is done with a ZIG (005). I had to keep this as light and fine as possible in order for it to fall into the background.

15.jpg

16) The bridge suspension and cars are done with ZIGs. Pretty much everything there was done freehand. Fine lines and less detail in the cars because again, I want them to fall into the background.

16.jpg

17) The smoke from Gobby's glider, the rubble under the explosions, and a few other areas that needed to be filled in with solid black are done with a brush. I saved these for last so I only had to clean the brush one last time.

17.jpg

18) The motion lines in the smoke trail are the final touch. I did these with the curve and a ZIG (01). FINALLY the cover is finished! yay.gif

18.jpg

19) Here are the tools of my work. Flexible curve, circle template, ZIG pens, brushes, Speedball Super Black India Ink (highest praise on that ink), and my light desk. The sizes on the ZIG pens are (005) finest, (01), (03), (05), (08) largest.

19.jpg