• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Store from start to finish
1 1

132 posts in this topic

I am really looking forward to watching you flourish and excel at this youmechooz! I for one am sad to see you skipping all those shows, :sick:, but getting a home base, and having a reason for getting one, is an awesome thing. Truly the way to live long and prosper!

Update. Did not like the lease at first, terms were wierd, but its good now signed sealed delivered. A small remodel next week. Pictures will come soon, might postpone until work is complete though. Had dental work done today, sucked. Out of it.

Congrats on locking down a location!

I am sure it will be a lot of fun turning your vision into a reality (along with ton of work).

Please continue with the journal. Would love to hear about how you decided on the final location, what remodeling your doing etc etc. I think it would even be neat to hear about what your experience is like setting up and ordering from Diamond and what not.

Will you be naming it the same as your screen name? I think it's probably harder to come up with a good name than most people realize and I bet almost everything has already been done before,lol.

Anyway, looking forward to photos along the way and keeping up with your progress!

Mike

I am sure it will be a lot of fun turning your vision into a reality (along with ton of work).

Please continue with the journal. Would love to hear about how you decided on the final location, what remodeling your doing etc etc. I think it would even be neat to hear about what your experience is like setting up and ordering from Diamond and what not.

Will you be naming it the same as your screen name? I think it's probably harder to come up with a good name than most people realize and I bet almost everything has already been done before,lol.

Anyway, looking forward to photos along the way and keeping up with your progress!

Mike

I decided on the final location because of price, not bad, and its located next to some places that bring in kids. The remodel is opening up a wall. Store name will be different. Youmechooz was when a while ago, name is 2 dogs of ours spliced together. This name will be very basic. Would post more but like i said, 2 wisdom teeth pulled out earlier this week and it it kinda painful right now. I will say, for georgia, my steps for opening the store were

1. Sign lease for store location including deposit and first month

2. Got general liability insurance for location

3. Transfered electricity into my name, includes deposit

3. Already have sales tax

I do need to

1. Finish diamond account

2. Get new business license, i already have one, but need a new one for new address.

3. Buy everything ill need for store, tables, chairs, tv, etc.

4. Paint

5. More stuff

Mike

I decided on the final location because of price, not bad, and its located next to some places that bring in kids. The remodel is opening up a wall. Store name will be different. Youmechooz was when a while ago, name is 2 dogs of ours spliced together. This name will be very basic. Would post more but like i said, 2 wisdom teeth pulled out earlier this week and it it kinda painful right now. I will say, for georgia, my steps for opening the store were

I do need to

2. Get new business license, i already have one, but need a new one for new address.

4. Paint

5. More stuff

6 comics?

Mike

I do need to

4. Paint

5. More stuff

6 comics?

Falls into 1. Finish diamond account setup

Wow! I can't wait to see your progress,good luck with your dream. :applause:

Thanks buddy. My dream is to never work again lol

Opening my store in a few months and figured i would document the process as i have time.

Opening my store in a few months and figured i would document the process as i have time.

See more journals by jtufu

Congrats on choosing to open a store. My kids want to open one and in just under two years we have built up to around 30 long boxes and I am going to donate all of my toys, 500+ trades/novels, gaming cards, games, Lego collection, etc. My son also has a room full of collectibles to add. We will keep adding to it each year until ready to open.I hope all works out well for you. Edited by Gatchaman

9 am to 9 pm

that's how a lot of small business owners have to do it

None of the comic/gaming places around here open until 10:00 a.m. or later. Of course, that means you're there before 10:00 a.m. Stores without gaming tables close at 7:00 p.m., +/- an hour. Some are either closed Sundays (not recommended) or have reduced hours (open at noon, close at 5:00 p.m.). So the question is, will you have gaming tables?

9 am to 9 pm

that's how a lot of small business owners have to do it

None of the comic/gaming places around here open until 10:00 a.m. or later. Of course, that means you're there before 10:00 a.m. Stores without gaming tables close at 7:00 p.m., +/- an hour. Some are either closed Sundays (not recommended) or have reduced hours (open at noon, close at 5:00 p.m.). So the question is, will you have gaming tables?

Yes, most shops here are 10 am at the earliest (some days later) and start closing at 6 pm, I think 11 am is a good opening time myself, at least on weekdays. Lately it seems many are open later (for gaming as stated above). Many are also closed at least one day, usually Monday but maybe Tuesday or Sunday.

What is 9-9? :)
Yeah. 9 am to 9pm.

See more journals by jtufu

Congrats on choosing to open a store. My kids want to open one and in just under two years we have built up to around 30 long boxes and I am going to donate all of my toys, 500+ trades/novels, gaming cards, games, Lego collection, etc. My son also has a room full of collectibles to add. We will keep adding to it each year until ready to open.I hope all works out well for you.
Thanks buddy. Its pretty easy to get long boxes. Last bulk buy i had was 80 long boxes. At $7 a long box. If he wants to open a store, he sounds like he already has enough. Tell him to just do it.
9 am to 9 pmthat's how a lot of small business owners have to do it
My store hours are going to be 10-8 pm.Ill have gaming tables to start and add more gaming stuff as i go along, more tables chairs etc. My work hours are different than the store hours. Im used to 12 hour days/7 days a week/365 days a year, working with my wife. Her mother is korean and doesnt believe in anything less than a 12 hour work day. There is always work to do when you own your own business. As she would say, "if you not working 12 hours in a day, 365 days a year, you poor.". She told me that the first day i worked at my wife's store.

I know you said competition in the area is pretty minimal do you know if there are any places hosting MTG tournaments? It's getting insanely popular and you can make a huge profit if you start adding on buying/selling cards to the business model. In my experience when people decide to sell their cards to a store they're willing to take pretty low offers.

I know you said competition in the area is pretty minimal do you know if there are any places hosting MTG tournaments? It's getting insanely popular and you can make a huge profit if you start adding on buying/selling cards to the business model. In my experience when people decide to sell their cards to a store they're willing to take pretty low offers.

there are stores that do mtg tournaments and such. I will be doing the mtg stuff, would be a fool to not do it. There is competition in my area, definately. The store will do what the store does, sell new comics and cards, but im looking to get key books and leads. Something only 1 store in my area does well. The other stores seem like they like comics or have a passion for them.

1 1