• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

heres what Im talking about.

Also, and this may be standard with extensive restoration, most everything looks repainted too, like the Bob Kane sig (which is also repositioned), the lite blue water shapes, and the rule between masthead and artwork. Some of this is no doubt due to the lower resolution of the Pre restoration image they posted.

I looked for an unrestored copy for comparison, and added it on the far right.

[/img]

The book was not 9.8 it was 9.4

As Gov Perry so effectively stated: oops!

well, since all extensively restored books have totally repainted areas, recreation of linework is a necessary evil as id done by eye so slight deviations are to be expected.... And I suppose the standards to date have merely been make type readable and not obviously different from the original printed plates.

The Donald Duck cover had a widened black rule that wasn't on the original. The Tec 33 has added color areas plus other mismatching art elements. The restored market will have to decide if any of this matters value wise.

Those necessary deviations are precisely why restored books should be excluded from receiving a 9.8 grade.

Emily, the Krylon spray is not what you told me you and Matt were using at the time. I believe it was a product called Golden Gel, which is irreversible. Regardless, if you have stopped using the previous agent and only use methyl cellulose for your sizing, that is the correct method. But it will not mask a cover's defects, particularly creases. This is why most candidates for restoration, which are low grade copies, can only go so high in grade. To achieve all of these 9.6's and 9.8's (according to CBCS), either these flaws must be masked with a glossing agent, or only very high grade copies are chosen for restoration. Based on the information I've seen, I don't believe that you are restoring books that were previously unrestored high grade copies. And I don't think there are enough "perfect" candidates out there to produce the large number of ultra high grade books that have entered the market in only the past few months.

As far as the areas you are color touching, I have seen jobs where you and Matt were within acceptable limits (the Pep #22 is a good example), but I have also seen books you recently restored that were excessive. Can you please post before and after scans of the Spidey #1 that recently graded CBCS 9.6? It was displayed for sale at a large dealer's booth at the New York show in October.

I split books with the dealers for years. The bottom line is what the grading company calls the books. When books are restored, graded and sold for profit, one cannot be depended on for their objectivity.

And CGC has been receiving plenty of pressed books from everyone since I arrived three years ago. I think we have proven that we treat everyone's submissions fairly and with no bias.

Also, and this may be standard with extensive restoration, most everything looks repainted too, like the Bob Kane sig (which is also repositioned), the lite blue water shapes, and the rule between masthead and artwork. Some of this is no doubt due to the lower resolution of the Pre restoration image they posted.

[/img]

The book was not 9.8 it was 9.4

As Gov Perry so effectively stated: oops!

(thumbs u You gave it 2 grades up i like your resto work.

well, since all extensively restored books have totally repainted areas, recreation of linework is a necessary evil as id done by eye so slight deviations are to be expected.... And I suppose the standards to date have merely been make type readable and not obviously different from the original printed plates.

The Donald Duck cover had a widened black rule that wasn't on the original. The Tec 33 has added color areas plus other mismatching art elements. The restored market will have to decide if any of this matters value wise.

Those necessary deviations are precisely why restored books should be excluded from receiving a 9.8 grade.

Very good reason to exclude high grades generally why stop at 9.8...

Very good reason to exclude high grades generally why stop at 9.8...

..... just to point out...... the book does not receive a 9.8 grade, but rather an "apparent" 9.8 grade.... which is, and always was.... quite different. The "extensive" part should also be a clarifier. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was enthralled enough to put aside football and spend most of last night reading this whole thread.

Interestingly, the academic definition of noun res·to·ra·tion \ˌres-tə-ˈrā-shən\

: the act or process of returning something to its original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

: the act of bringing back something that existed before

This, it seems to me, is the crux of the discussion here - have the (very skillful, upfront and polite) artists actually "created" something that literally didn't exist before? Perhaps it’s even better than what originally rolled off the presses?

Everyone is clearly free to purchase what they like; I think it would be cool to own an original Lichtenstein. But for my budget and collecting goals I'm not sure I'd pop for the $10-20k these apparent 9.8's are going for, or consider it a healthy investment. Sure, they are cool - but if the results are "repeatable" then technically, over a long enough time horizon, couldn't all these rare treasures become 9.8's eventually? That probably just makes un-restored copies in ever lower grades even more valuable?

Frankly, like some here, I kind of like the charm of the rag-tag feel and smell of the wrinkly worn covers with prior owner’s pencil scrolls and binder punch holes. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Don’t get me wrong – I did send my Captain America #27 to get restored to a restorer not mentioned here on this thread (still anxiously awaiting results). I needed to marry the inside guts I got on this board to my copy that was missing pages, cover was detached and had been taped in several places. I specifically asked the restorer to round corners and keep the book looking “natural” – expect it to end up with a 6-7 grade. It’s one of my all-time favorite books and my sense is/was that “I’m saving it.” So I don’t have the answers and perhaps my own collecting/restoration behavior isn't entirely consistent, only can offer my opinion. My current feelings are CAP #27 will be the only restoration endeavor I embark on – consider it a short term goal/experiment. I’ll be sticking to mylar (in rare cases slabs) and micro chamber paper for future.

159893.png

Great graphic, and one that should scare anyone thinking about buying any of these reproductions...stuff like this taints all restored/conserved books IMHO, but I'm sure hammer would be proud! lol

159893.png

Great graphic, and one that should scare anyone thinking about buying any of these reproductions...stuff like this taints all restored/conserved books IMHO, but I'm sure hammer would be proud! lol

Mike Hammer aka Luxx Corp?

159893.png

Hammer aka Danny Dupcak / Richard Koos.

Luxx was someone else, in every sense of the word.

159893.png

Hammer aka Danny Dupcak / Richard Koos.

Krazy cat

Ripp off artist W. Uthe

Keymaker

The list goes on

Luxx was someone else, in every sense of the word.

Winner had fb of 13.

All four of the top bidders have 100% bids with the seller. (Three of them are also current top bidders on a Silver Age book, Incredible Hulk #1 at 9.6 restored, being auctioned by the seller.)

Update: The seller yanked their Incredible Hulk #1 eBay auction. It had all the same top bidders as the Tec #33.

Winner had fb of 13.

All four of the top bidders have 100% bids with the seller. (Three of them are also current top bidders on a Silver Age book, Incredible Hulk #1 at 9.6 restored, being auctioned by the seller.)

Update: The seller yanked their Incredible Hulk #1 eBay auction. It had all the same top bidders as the Tec #33.

Eternal springs the shill ....

Winner had fb of 13.

Eternal springs the shill ....

:o

Winner had fb of 13.

What they need is a solid result in a Clink/CC/HA auction to add confidence to buyers ans establish where the market is for what is essentially something new in the marketplace.

Winner had fb of 13.

What they need is a solid result in a Clink/CC/HA auction to add confidence to buyers ans establish where the market is for what is essentially something new in the marketplace.

They've already had several books auctioned off on CC and Heritage.

Winner had fb of 13.

They've already had several books auctioned off on CC and Heritage.

Meant after this thread and the issues/concerns raised herein.