• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4084

B and C has nothing to do with whether or not they can be graded. In fact it means they have been graded.

Again, from my reading, CGC did receive and appraise some of their books, but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted. All of this occurred while CGC was deciding whether or not to stop accepting submissions from them with that kind of work altogether which was ultimately rendered moot when igb started giving everything to Voldy anyway.

-J.

There we go! Accurate except for the first word "again", this statement is different than your previous ones asserting that CGC stated the decision had been made. But that's a nitpick. I'm just trying to clear up misinformation. Thanks and happy new year!

B and C has nothing to do with whether or not they can be graded. In fact it means they have been graded.

Again, from my reading, CGC did receive and appraise some of their books, but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted. All of this occurred while CGC was deciding whether or not to stop accepting submissions from them with that kind of work altogether which was ultimately rendered moot when igb started giving everything to Voldy anyway.

-J.

I'm not going to keep doing this, because you clearly get so entrenched in your hate campaigns that nothing can be done. It irks me how after you're proven to be in the wrong, you keep perpetuating the problem. Don't even expect apologies from you, just asked you to stop. This latest post hedges a bit, so atleast I'm happy to see that.

But it's worth repeating

1) CGC was grading the books. B and C classifications mean not professional (or maybe not as professional) quality resto -- likely from these challenges Matt was referencing .

2) The discussion of whether to continue could have just as easily been whether to continue B/C classification vs. A classification (not whether or not to accept and grade the books at all)

3) Different grading companies do things differently. It may be unavoidable, but for the betterment of the hobby, a governing set of rules might really help.

With respect to 3), they are competing firms, so I doubt they would legally be able to coordinate which books they would or would not accept for grading or what sorts of grades they would give different types of restoration.

I'm no expert on antitrust law, but conceivably some disinterested third party (Overstreet?) might put forward guidelines--similar to the grading scales that have been around for decades--and the companies could then (independently) decide to adopt the guidelines. I think that kind of standardization of practices is allowable under the law.

-J.

I'm not going to keep doing this, because you clearly get so entrenched in your hate campaigns that nothing can be done. It irks me how after you're proven to be in the wrong, you keep perpetuating the problem. Don't even expect apologies from you, just asked you to stop. This latest post hedges a bit, so atleast I'm happy to see that.

But it's worth repeating

1) CGC was grading the books. B and C classifications mean not professional (or maybe not as professional) quality resto -- likely from these challenges Matt was referencing .

2) The discussion of whether to continue could have just as easily been whether to continue B/C classification vs. A classification (not whether or not to accept and grade the books at all)

3) Different grading companies do things differently. It may be unavoidable, but for the betterment of the hobby, a governing set of rules might really help.

With respect to 3), they are competing firms, so I doubt they would legally be able to coordinate which books they would or would not accept for grading or what sorts of grades they would give different types of restoration.

I'm no expert on antitrust law, but conceivably some disinterested third party (Overstreet?) might put forward guidelines--similar to the grading scales that have been around for decades--and the companies could then (independently) decide to adopt the guidelines. I think that kind of standardization of practices is allowable under the law.

Finally the conservation is getting interesting. This is where I can sit back and potentially learn something.

-J.

But it's worth repeating

Overstreet is not a disinterested third party. And it has put forth some guidelines about restoration in the past, only to find that some people hated them with the heat of a thousand suns.

Ultimately, the only standards that would make everybody happy is unattainable because many people would effectively require the standards to be that books are worth less when they are buying than when they are selling.

-J.

But it's worth repeating

Overstreet is not a disinterested third party. And it has put forth some guidelines about restoration in the past, only to find that some people hated them with the heat of a thousand suns.

Ultimately, the only standards that would make everybody happy is unattainable because many people would effectively require the standards to be that books are worth less when they are buying than when they are selling.

.... and it can be even simpler than that...... if one likes the book, bid on it. If one likes it a LOT, then bid enough to win. If one doesn't like the book.... move to the next lot....... but I suppose then all the patronizing, condescension, and rudeness to one another would be lost (shrug) ........ and all this over a book that I vaguely recall was being referred to as overpriced, out of vogue, and yesterday's flavor just a few months ago. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

-J.

But it's worth repeating

.... and it can be even simpler than that...... if one likes the book, bid on it. If one likes it a LOT, then bid enough to win. If one doesn't like the book.... move to the next lot....... but I suppose then all the patronizing, condescension, and rudeness to one another would be lost (shrug) ........ and all this over a book that I vaguely recall was being referred to as overpriced, out of vogue, and yesterday's flavor just a few months ago. GOD BLESS...

That did make me lol I must admit

-J.

This is stil shocking me.

''but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted''

If you can show me where igb put that they did not like the results then I will stay permanantly quiet. How people feel so free to put statements on here which are guess work at best like others reading are thick is still as I put ...... shocking me.

It's shocking to me that any of this would be shocking to you. I remember my first chat board...

-J.

''but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted''

If you can show me where igb put that they did not like the results then I will stay permanantly quiet. How people feel so free to put statements on here which are guess work at best like others reading are thick is still as I put ...... shocking me.

It's shocking to me that any of this would be shocking to you. I remember my first chat board...

I remember your first post.

-J.

Dare I ask

I would have been quite happy with a 33 6.0 MP

.... 33 is one of the issues I'd want most of all...... and some resto wouldn't restrain me in the least.....I just prefer for the majority of the original book to still be there. GOD BLESS...

Batman with a gun :cloud9:

-J.

I can't remember his first username?? lol

-J.

I can't remember his first username?? lol

I can't either. I was referring to his post above.

To ThothAmon,

We sold an AF15 earlier this fall, thought a bunch of bidders with low feedback were fake, so we deleted bids on last day, ended up losing a lot - confused buyers. Found out later they were legit. At same token we've had 3000 positive feedback buyers win and not be able to pay. So you never know. As far as we are aware looks legit, most are repeat buyers in the bid cue.

Out of curiosity, how did you find out later that all of the low-feedback bidders were legitimate?

-J.

Why does it matter if he favors one company over another??

-J.

But it's worth repeating

I agree completely - that a 3rd party governance agency makes sense. I don't think the types of rules/processes I'm thinking about constitute anti-trust violations, more the rules for how the services in the space are provided. Pricing, turnaround times, case quality, etc., would still be areas of competitive differentiation.

-J.

But it's worth repeating

I think that's a tall challenge - but really insurmountable? I think it's worth trying to discuss (again).

I would like to hear igb address this post.

I'm curious if creating things that weren't there originally should be considered restoration?

For instance...

wdcs 1.jpg

wdcs 1 bc.jpg

WDC&S 1 8.5 from Heritage http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-1-dell-1940-cgc-apparent-vf-85-moderate-a-3-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7147-91167.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Notice that the 9.8 has a black line down the spine. Emily and Matt created a spine line where none originally existed. It looks nice. But it isn't original. The red on the front and the blue on the back simply met and bled together, but there was never a black spine line. It must have helped them achieve the goal of a higher grade though. And that, in a nutshell, is why I have a problem with all of this.