• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

In Jedi he’s overconfident and overestimates his abilities against jabba, failing and being captured in the process, and is forced to regroup and work with his friends to escape.

I'm sorry, but I always looked at that opening gambit in ROTJ, as a kind of A-Team type plan, where it showed all their teamwork at play to free Han.

There was no instant where Luke in the dungeon, decided to plant a lightsaber in R2-D2 to escape with Han and Chewie.

Luke went there to intimidate, to get captured, so he could be on the "inside."

As Hannibal always said on the A-Team, "It's all part of the plan." ;) 

23 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That’s a great write up. I disagree with the premise behind your Luke as adult analysis, but I can appreciate how you got there.

and I can understand your take too and how from that you might be disappointedwith Lukes TLJ characterizations as a result. 

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I'm sorry, but I always looked at that opening gambit in ROTJ, as a kind of A-Team type plan, where it showed all their teamwork at play to free Han.

There was no instant where Luke in the dungeon, decided to plant a lightsaber in R2-D2 to escape with Han and Chewie.

Luke went there to intimidate, to get captured, so he could be on the "inside."

As Hannibal always said on the A-Team, "It's all part of the plan." ;) 

I think you're describing his "Plan B". 

His "Plan A" had nothing to do with taking on a Rancor with a bone and a stone as his choice of weapons. 

He gave the droids to Jabba so they'd be in the throne room when he arrived so he'd have the lightsaber there when he needed it, which turned out to be silly because he mind-tricked the guards to let him pass anyway. It still worked in "Plan B" because the droids were still present. 

Plan A didn't have anything to do with getting caught. 

Edited by comix4fun

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I think you're describing his "Plan B". 

His "Plan A" had nothing to do with taking on a Rancor with a bone and a stone as his choice of weapons. 

He gave the droids to Jabba so they'd be in the throne room when he arrived so he'd have the lightsaber there when he needed it, which turned out to be silly because he mind-tricked the guards to let him pass anyway. It still worked in "Plan B" because the droids were still present. 

Plan A didn't have anything to do with getting caught. 

I just always looked at in a theatrical "Mission: Impossible" way for audiences to get caught up in the action.

Granted, the Rancor was a monkeywrench, but I always felt Leia's job was to unfreeze Han and get caught too(with Chewie,) like Luke. I know that sounds stupid, but maybe for her to get close to Jabba to kill.  I mean Billy Dee was just waiting all along for the right moment too.

I just watched it again and still feel that this was all one big plan to have it's climax out in the open at the Sarlaac Pit. I'll watch it with the commentary on a little later.

21 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The way they painted Luke out to be in TLJ, it made it highly unlikely that he fathered any children during his hiatus.  Rey being a nobody is the least of the movies weaknesses imo.

hey he's a farmboy from Tatooine. Did you see the way he walked up to that sea cow and milked it? Old hat to someone of his experience. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

In fact Last Jedi was better to me than Return of the Jedi. No silly Ewoks!

Watching ROTJ now, I never realized when the ewoks attacked the stormtroopers at the end, they were doing it as a distraction for Han and Leia to shutdown the shield.

They knew they had no chance, but they kept trying to keep the stormtroopers engaged in them and away from the others.

It seems more poignant now, with their sacrifice they do for a greater good they can understand in another language.

The funny thing during that sequence, they  started making progress overcoming technology. lol 

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I just always looked at in a theatrical "Mission: Impossible" way for audiences to get caught up in the action.

Granted, the Rancor was a monkeywrench, but I always felt Leia's job was to unfreeze Han and get caught too(with Chewie,) like Luke. I know that sounds stupid, but maybe for her to get close to Jabba to kill.  I mean Billy Dee was just waiting all along for the right moment too.

I just watched it again and still feel that this was all one big plan to have it's climax out in the open at the Sarlaac Pit. I'll watch it with the commentary on a little later.

to support your "big plan" theory, Luke being from Tatooine would be familiar with Jaba's exploits bith with the arancor and the Sarlaac pit, makes sense that it was all planned as a Plan A Leia tries to get Han away, but if she gets discovered, plan B is Luke coming in to dp rhe sarlaac pit/R2 lightsaber shot.

27 minutes ago, Foley said:

Any idea where the Sith rule of 2 will go from here with the death of Snoke? Has it been abandoned? Will Kylo train an apprentice? Is Snoke not really dead?

Apparently in some of the Las Jedi press there is a biography of  Snoke and a reference to a second apprentice... Might have been cut from the movie...

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

to support your "big plan" theory, Luke being from Tatooine would be familiar with Jaba's exploits bith with the arancor and the Sarlaac pit, makes sense that it was all planned as a Plan A Leia tries to get Han away, but if she gets discovered, plan B is Luke coming in to dp rhe sarlaac pit/R2 lightsaber shot.

Then why didn't Billy Dee Williams just bust him out since he was already there, instead of bringing in Chewie too? lol

She could have just entered the court with her holy hand grenade and bargained for their lives, without using Chewie at all.

So, now they have rescue Chewie, jeopardizing their mission.

Chewbecca was needed for brute force on the skiff to protect Han.

All in all, it's just been my interpretation, that these guys don't need a "Plan B' with a bunch low-life bounty hunters.

13 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That’s a great write up. I disagree with the premise behind your Luke as adult analysis, but I can appreciate how you get there. 

Lukes suffered a great deal of failure and loss long before what happens in the flashbacks in TLJ. He’s too late to save Owen and Beru, that’s both failure and loss. He watches his oldest friend die in the attack on the first Death Star. He’s about to get killed himself and gets bailed out by his friend.  He fails over and over again in his training with yoda. He fails in confronting Vader in Esb, losing his innocence, his confidence, his faith in Ben and Yoda, and his hand. He’s got to be again bailed out and saved by his friends. In Jedi he’s overconfident and overestimates his abilities against jabba, failing and being captured in the process, and is forced to regroup and work with his friends to escape. He realizes his father has a connection through the force ( end of Esb) yet still goes on the super secret mission to Endor and blows their cover entirely. Which forces him to confront Vader again to try and redeem him, which he actually fails at miserably. It was Palpatine’s actions, on the verge of murdering the fallen and failed Luke and with Luke convulsing from Palpatine’s massive force Taser, that pulls Vader back from the dark side. Luke saved Vader through , again , failing in what he originally intended to do. 

I don’t see Luke as a guy who never failed. I see Luke as a guy who failed repeatedly throughout the original trilogy but found ways to overcome and eventually succeed with the help of friends, family and mentors. 

The other thing is, why did he believe Vader could be redeemed but Ben Solo can't be.  I don't know there's just so much unexplained and the whole Luke treatment is silly.  Other masters have failed in training and that part is an interesting thread.  But I think a force ghost convo that included Obi Wan on that subject would have been great.  

I don't think it ever explicitly stated he didn't think Ben Solo could be redeemed. He obviously considered the fact, yes, but ultimately he extinguished his lightsaber and reason seemed to prevail. By then it was too late as Ben had woken up and thought he was going to be killed.

2 hours ago, Foley said:

Any idea where the Sith rule of 2 will go from here with the death of Snoke? Has it been abandoned? Will Kylo train an apprentice? Is Snoke not really dead?

Snoke wasn't a Sith, so the rule of two doesn't apply. 

25 minutes ago, Foley said:

Ah, I hadn't realized, thanks. So the Sith effectively became extinct with the Deaths of Vader and Sidious?

Apparently but who knows what Abrams will do.

Opening scene to episode IX : 

Luke awakens from a terrible dream that he wasn't a Jedi anymore and Disney cut off his pecker.

He named his dream episode VIII.

8 hours ago, Foley said:

I am not convinced Snoke is a Sith.  Has it been mentioned anywhere (books, etc.) that he is?

14 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

What strikes me a bizarre in this thread is how some folks keep claiming “The Force Awakens” is a rip-off off “Star Wars,” by regurgitating its plot about 38 years later. But, no one (that I saw) has even mentioned how much stuff George Lucas “borrowed” from Akira Kurosawa’s “The Hidden Fortress” from 1958 for “Star Wars” in the first place. I just saw the Criterion of this one about a month ago and was blown away how good it was and I am a Star Wars fan, that will probably look at the original in a different light now as (gasp) a rehash of that movie’s prime elements (two peasants who became droids, the scene wipes, the samurai/Jedi, the princess, etc.)

There's definitely some goodness in the Criterion Collection's remasters of the Kurosawa films.  :whee:Here's a couple of trailer mash-ups for anyone who may be unfamiliar with The Hidden Fortress:

Edited by The Shoveler
fixing my Yoda-like grammar