• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

The definition of bias is comparing Episode VII's box office to Episode VIII's box office knowing that Episode V was a dropoff from IV and II was a dropoff from I.  Everyone knew it would be a dropoff, the question was how much.  Turns out the international dropoff from VII to VIII adjusted for inflation was about the same as the other two trilogies.

I just don't get how some people in here can't understand this. It's clear as day, and was even clearer to Disney before E8 was even released. There's zero disappointment. 

12 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

There's zero disappointment. 

I expect that both Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson aren't looking at it quite that way.  Both are definitely pleased with the critical response but would prefer to silence as many of the hardcore fans as possible.

Having said that, they're acutely aware they will never fully achieve that having watched fans pummel Lucas relentlessly for a full decade of the prequels.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Having said that, they're acutely aware they will never fully achieve that having watched fans pummel Lucas relentlessly for a full decade of the prequels.

Star Wars fans really are the worst. I mean, I hate Jar Jar with a passion but I'm nowhere near some of these freaks with the bile they spew. 

I'm neutral on Jar-Jar.  When I was 12 in 1983 I HATED the Ewoks, and from that experience I just learned to stop hating, so I just ignored Jar-Jar in 1999 having learned from Episode VI that they're always going to be likely to stick a character in for little kids.

What I dislike most is that dumb faux-Jamaican accent, but not nearly as much as the faux-Japanese-English accent on Viceroy Gunray.  I think he was even pronouncing R's as L's and vice-versa.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

What I dislike most is that dumb faux-Jamaican accent, but not nearly as much as the faux-Japanese-English accent on Viceroy Gunray.  I think he was even pronouncing R's as L's and vice-versa.

Ah, forgot about the Neimoidians. Very stupid stuff. 

I believe Episodes I-III were best summed up by Dr. Ball on Robot Chicken -- "She's lost the will to live?! What is your degree in, poetry?! You sorry bunch of hippies! For God sakes, don't use the billions of dollars of medical equipment around us, why don't we all just get on our knees and pray?"

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The definition of bias is comparing Episode VII's box office to Episode VIII's box office knowing that Episode V was a dropoff from IV and II was a dropoff from I.  Everyone knew it would be a dropoff, the question was how much.  Turns out the international dropoff from VII to VIII adjusted for inflation was about the same as the other two trilogies.

This. I've been arguing this nearly since Day One.

Episode VIII's drop-off from VII was in line with Empire's drop-off from Star Wars and Episode II's drop of from Episode One.

It wasn't a "box office failure" no matter how many fanboys rage that it didn't fit their headcanon.

I enjoyed it; I'm looking forward to Ep. IX, and I'm looking forward to Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy.

I broke down before why the ANH and ESB comparison I believe is often applied incorrectly, Ill try and give a high level here.

ESB had a run in the theaters of about 3 months primary distribution (which you can find on BoxOfficeMojo). After its 12th week it had a domestic gross of 141,000,000.00

ANH had a Run in the theaters of 12 months primary distribution (also reported in BoxOfficeMojo) which gave it a domestic gross of 214,000,000.00

There was a gap it seems as the movie was pulled for a while (still showing however in smaller theaters) for ANH but it was re-released the next year for a few weeks. In reality its primary release was 29 weeks for ANH and 12 for ESB.

If you compare ANH's first 12 weeks run (Which is ESB entire primary run) the numbers are as follows

ANH: 107,000,000.00

ESB: 141,000,000.00

If you want to , just for "funzies" (or however its spelled) look at ROTJ's First 12 week domestic gross...

ROTJ: 219,000,000.00

ROTJ murders ANH and ESB over the same period of time. Each of the 3 movies over its first 12 week run gets stronger as the series goes on (based on US domestic numbers).

You can dive in the numbers further, but if we are just talking US box office alone, ESB outperforms ANH over the same periods in the theater. Where you start getting some muddied info is when you try and factor in re-release numbers into the equation. I like to keep it clean, US box office over like for like periods of time.

I've always found this topic fascinating anyway.

Edited by zhamlau

11 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I broke down before why the ANH and ESB comparison I believe is often applied incorrectly, Ill try and give a high level here.

ESB had a run in the theaters of about 3 months primary distribution (which you can find on BoxOfficeMojo). After its 12th week it had a domestic gross of 141,000,000.00

ANH had a Run in the theaters of 12 months primary distribution (also reported in BoxOfficeMojo) which gave it a domestic gross of 214,000,000.00

There was a gap it seems as the movie was pulled for a while (still showing however in smaller theaters) for ANH but it was re-released the next year for a few weeks. In reality its primary release was 29 weeks for ANH and 12 for ESB.

If you compare ANH's first 12 weeks run (Which is ESB entire primary run) the numbers are as follows

ANH: 107,000,000.00

ESB: 141,000,000.00

If you want to , just for "funzies" (or however its spelled) look at ROTJ's First 12 week domestic gross...

ROTJ: 219,000,000.00

ROTJ murders ANH and ESB over the same period of time. Each of the 3 movies over its first 12 week run gets stronger as the series goes on (based on US domestic numbers).

You can dive in the numbers further, but if we are just talking US box office alone, ESB outperforms ANH over the same periods in the theater. Where you start getting some muddied info is when you try and factor in re-release numbers into the equation. I like to keep it clean, US box office over like for like periods of time.

I've always found this topic fascinating anyway.

First of all you're not taking into account inflation, which flaws your numbers from different decades.

Factoring that in, the movies after 12 weeks are:

ANH: $421 Million

ESB: $420 Million

Which means that after 12 weeks a small budget ($45 Million in adjusted dollars) no-name movie did the same amount of money as a worldwide phenomenon big budget promotion film.

Second - they make money on the movies after 12 weeks too. 

So in ANH's first domestic run, it did $885 Million (Adjusted) and ESB did $438 Million (Adjusted)

To try and compare it after 12 weeks is unfair. ANH was a word of mouth movie that grew as it went - it's power came in the fact it had legs and grew bigger and bigger. No one had ever seen anything like it.

The sequel, got people in the seats immediately. People were READY to go see it. It had HUGE promotion. It didn't hold that power for as long.

It didn't perform as well as the original. Doing... get ready for it.... about HALF what the original did.

I've been saying this since about a week after it hit theaters... If you have to constantly defend and explain your movie (Rian Johnson) then it sucked. He came out with "new info" every week for a couple of months in an attempt to tell fans why something was the way it is in the film. I shouldn't have to research information before or after a movie when seeing it to understand your crappy story and direction. When you have Luke ditch his (and his father's) lightsaber as some sort of gag, and a "your mom" joke in the first 10 minutes, holy cow... I've ranted about this forever.

Every single person I know, and have talked to personally, doesn't like this movie. So that's about 50-60 people. I take that back. My younger brother admitted that he likes anything Star Wars. He doesn't care what happens, he'll enjoy it. It's a stupid perception, IMO, but I'll let him have his fun.

I'm not one of those, "the movie wasn't exactly how I predicted/wanted", people. I did want to see a movie that makes sense and doesn't waste my time, though. The Last Jedi didn't make sense, and the 30-minute sub-plot literally wasted everyone's time, and that time could've been used to progress the story. Even though half of the story was a slow space-chase... Ugh...

Edited by TwoPiece

23 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Even though half of the story was a slow space-chase... Ugh...

But the OJ chase in the White Ford Bronco was the highest rated television event in the past 1,000 years.  They're just trying to make something everyone will enjoy! :kidaround:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

But the OJ chase in the White Ford Bronco was the highest rated television event in the past 1,000 years.  They're just trying to make something everyone will enjoy! :kidaround:

Then its agreed -- Episode VIII needed Al Cowlings.  Blast your lack of foresight Rian Johnson!!  :preach: