• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I actually do.

Kennedy is the showrunner here -- every one of Rian Johnson's choices -- from the early --script through to post-production -- had to be approved by her as well as the Lucasfilm Story Group (including Pablo Hidalgo and others).

As you know, she's not shy about firing directors if their vision differs from that of hers and the Story Group (witness the firings of Lord and Miller, Colin Treverrow, Gareth Edwards (in post), and Josh Trank.

You know who wasn't fired? Rian Johnson.

Because he had her full faith and credit.

And -- with $620 million domestic (a % drop in line with the drops of Empire and Attack of the Clones over the first chapters) and a 91% critical rating from Rotten Tomatoes, I'd say she chose Rian Johnson wisely.

Again, not to go back into it since everyone's having a fine internet debate....but when compared week by week ESB actually does much better then ANH.  I think ROTJ does as well.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Again, not to go back into it since everyone's having a fine internet debate....but when compared week by week ESB actually does much better then ANH.  I think ROTJ does as well.

Listen, your avatar is distracting. I forgot what your post even said.

Regardless of how good or bad everything was, I'm so very glad Carrie was still alive to film these movies. 

Sure, fan servicing, but hey..."slave Leia" made a very big impact on me. So yeah, I had a big fat 11 year old crush on her, that developed into a lifelong appreciation for her creative work, as wacky as it got. I'm sad she's gone, but I'm so very, very glad I got to see General Leia one last time.

54 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Regardless of how good or bad everything was, I'm so very glad Carrie was still alive to film these movies. 

Sure, fan servicing, but hey..."slave Leia" made a very big impact on me. So yeah, I had a big fat 11 year old crush on her, that developed into a lifelong appreciation for her creative work, as wacky as it got. I'm sad she's gone, but I'm so very, very glad I got to see General Leia one last time.

you should watch the documentary on her and her mom. it's very nice.

I think somewhere during this internet age, someone got the idea that their opinion - which was available for all to read and comment on, actually mattered. It doesn't.

That is all.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:44 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Other than the Mary Poppins scene, I agree.

5 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

So word is KK confirmed the Boba Fett Movie is 100 percent dead now, and the internet show is all they are working on outside of the final installment of the trilogy? That about where we sit now?

For a character that was supposed to be so incredibly cool, Jango Fett's death was comically bad.  "Despite my jet pack and prior fancy maneuvers, I will stand perfectly still and fire my blaster.  No way Samuel L. Jackson will cut my head off..."

Maybe the (now hypothetical?) Boba Fett movie could've opened with young Boba cleaning out the helmet with an ice cream scooper.

Oh there is no arguing that Disney has made a large misstep with the Star Wars franchise. Waiting to see what their response will be. I assume we will have a quiet period following the next installment; gauging fan reaction and how best to proceed. Worst case is we wrap up the trilogy and wait a few years to reboot the next phase. Best case, JJ makes a movie so damn good we all go nuts clamoring for the next one. We need new characters though. There currently isn't a single role in the new universe that I give a rat's patootie about. Rey was the closest but they screwed up her story so badly.

9 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Oh there is no arguing that Disney has made a large misstep with the Star Wars franchise. Waiting to see what their response will be. I assume we will have a quiet period following the next installment; gauging fan reaction and how best to proceed. Worst case is we wrap up the trilogy and wait a few years to reboot the next phase. Best case, JJ makes a movie so damn good we all go nuts clamoring for the next one. We need new characters though. There currently isn't a single role in the new universe that I give a rat's patootie about. Rey was the closest but they screwed up her story so badly.

Kylo Ren is pretty much the only character I care about post-TLJ. I want to like Rey, because Ridley has acted her part so well, but her character lacks any interest since she's Mary Sue.

While JJ does have to do something amazing for Episode IX to return faith to the fandom, the aim is for Episode IX to end the Skywalker saga, so I don't think we should hope or expect new characters in that one. The plan is/was for Episode X to do that and separate from the first 9 entirely. I am completely okay with that (but not in Johnson's dumb@$$ hands).

IMO, for an "independent" Episode X to be successful, there needs to be consistency in The Force, knowledge of the previous wars and religions (and important characters), while doing something fairly/very new. No one should be related to Skywalker, Solo, etc, but nods to who they are and/or what they did to avoid repeating history would make sense to me. Build something evil from the ground. In Episodes IV and I and VII, we have already-established Empires and Trade Federations and First Orders. Idk. This is a different discussion for a different day.

I had to look up Mary-Sue. Wasn't familiar with the reference. Not sure if I agree with that but she is definitely boring. You know which EU character was female and not boring: Jyn Erso. Great female character. In fact Rogue One had a ton of great characters. Heck, K2SO was a stronger character than anyone in our current batting order.

9 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I had to look up Mary-Sue. Wasn't familiar with the reference. Not sure if I agree with that but she is definitely boring. You know which EU character was female and not boring: Jyn Erso. Great female character. In fact Rogue One had a ton of great characters. Heck, K2SO was a stronger character than anyone in our current batting order.

She's a textbook Mary Sue by way of being strong in The Force, despite having no genetic advantage, and no formal training. Now, if for some reason, JJ amends her parentage in Episode IX to say that she does come from a strong bloodline (Obi-Wan, etc) then the audience has just been severely misdirected. Another reason why RJ is a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, because when someone watches this poo-show, either they're watching the breakdown of a seemingly interesting character turned into a Mary Sue, or they're being flat-out lied to.

But at least we would have been 'lied to' by Kylo Ren, a character with excellent motivations to lie to Rey (and to us) about her family. 

So if they do tell us she has a 'worthy' bloodline in the next movie, I'd have no problem with it.  The misdirect would be Kylo's, not the director's.

5 minutes ago, Drummy said:

But at least we would have been 'lied to' by Kylo Ren, a character with excellent motivations to lie to Rey (and to us) about her family. 

So if they do tell us she has a 'worthy' bloodline in the next movie, I'd have no problem with it.  The misdirect would be Kylo's, not the director's.

And the Jedi Temple hole in the ground, and Rey herself, since she conceded that he was correct...

It's an intentional directorial mistake that only an equally directorial stroke of genius by JJ can possibly set straight. Abrams would have to convince us otherwise what an ancient Jedi Temple, Kylo Ren, and Rey have all corroborated on. It's a tall task, and unfortunately, and entirely unnecessary mess that Rian Johnson caused single-handed...

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, mattn792 said:

For a character that was supposed to be so incredibly cool, Jango Fett's death was comically bad.  "Despite my jet pack and prior fancy maneuvers, I will stand perfectly still and fire my blaster.  No way Samuel L. Jackson will cut my head off..."

Maybe the (now hypothetical?) Boba Fett movie could've opened with young Boba cleaning out the helmet with an ice cream scooper.

I've always thought that Lucas should've used Boba to kill Mace Windu.  In ESB, Vader tells Boba "And no disintegrations". Would've been great to see Windu being disintegrated.